Another stupid association - men who don't shave daily live shorter lives

(Richard Morris) #1

So it turns out that men who don’t shave daily are strongly associated with shorter lives, fewer orgasms, and more likely to be shorter, have manual jobs, and smoke.

I wonder if they gave any thought to the confound that infrequent beard shavers are less likely to be married. Having a mate will self select for a more healthy starting state. But also having a partner means you are more likely to “go to the doctor to have that thing checked out”.

Yeah…study was done in 2003. Doesn’t explain the current “hipster with a beard” trend going on these days!

(Andrew Anderson) #3

So many questions! This does not even meet the proximate cause v actual cause threshold of questioning.
Did folks preferring wet to dry shaves live longer?
Shaves are self reported or monitored?
Did the married no shaver live longer?
Adjusting for lifestyle, testosterone, and INSULIN RESISTANCE, sounds like voodoo math.
Orgasm self reported or monitored? If I am single and not wasting my time shaving well…never mind.
Was the study sponsored by the Dollar Shave club?

(Richard Morris) #4

IKR?

(eat more) #5

super bummer for the huge bearded lumberjacks, football players, mma fighters, and wwe wrestlers huh? :joy:

(John) #6

Fun site for when people bring up “interesting” correlated things.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #7

So what does shaving your whole head accomplish?? Will I become a meta-human?! Awesome!

(Dustin Cade) #8

I’m in so much trouble…

(Todd Allen) #9

The study is 14 years old and despite such profound results impacting life span and orgasms they haven’t yet received the million$ needed to conduct the randomized double blind control studies in C. elegans?!?

(Richard Morris) #10

I don’t think there are any razor companies interested in funding scientists to shave nematodes.

(Todd Allen) #11

I confess to not reading the full paper of the original study. Did they enlighten us as to which brand of razors will maximize our height and orgasmic pleasures?