Ankles not cankles!

(Ellen) #1

My boots have been feeling looser for a while, finally looked at my legs and I now have actual ankles rather than cankles!

(Karen) #2

I know the joy. One ankle is fitting the boot better. Still the other it holding out.

(Jean Taylor) #3

Way to go! I’ve been fat pretty much my whole life, but I think realizing my ankles were fat was one of the most depressing things that has ever happened to me lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I used to be really proud of my legs, until they got fat about ten or fifteen years ago. But after a year on keto they are starting to look like my legs again, instead of tree stumps!

(Ellen) #5

Haha! I’ve never had good legs really, my Mum politely refers to them as Rugby player’s legs! It’s nice to at least have ankles back. Keep it up and you’ll be back to being proud & showing them off soon.

(Jeanne Wagner) #6

That is wonderful indeed! I had the same problem, and it took fasting to finally tame the edema. Not until my 4th extended fast was there any effect, then all of a sudden it seemed my ankles were almost normal! KCKO!!!

(Karen) #7

How extended?
Still have one ankle that holds water. Worse when I’ve had too much salt, or too much sitting.

K

When I first started keto, my ankles were svelte - then mosquito bites ensued (I’m pretty allergic to them) - and whatever natural edema process I was having got worse for some months until I figured out to increase my Ginger supplementation and my protein intake in order to help balance the body’s hydrological processes :wink: And so far, so good!!! Am gonna write a new post about that…

(Ellen) #9

I love the word svelte, sadly underused.

(Karen) #10

Ordered ginger capsules. How many mg a day?

K

Am now taking 4-6 caps a day which is 2.2-3.3 grams depending on dosage.

But I started with just 1.1 grams per day and gradually increased.

I take 2 caps in the morning w/ fatty coffee, and then also again w/ later meals.

I figure I’ll be taking it a long time, it’s a major ally!

(btw I learned recently that medicinal Ginger is contraindicated with blood thinners, as Ginger is potent for blood circulation by itself! Am not on any medications, but I found that factoid interesting…)

:herb:

(Karen) #12

No thinners here. Seems like it would be strong in your tummy.

K

The body seems to really like the Ginger - I take it on an empty stomach w/ fatty coffee no problem. It’s also really good for digestive enzyme production, so that may have something to do with it, hmmm.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

OK, so I’ve had a problem with diarrhea my first month on keto. Someone suggested digestive enzymes. Would ginger be good for this? I am eating some vegetables but I think my body is having trouble getting used to the fat.

I would think so! The diarrhea is a normal adjustment the first month - but Ginger is amazing for absorption and gut circulation :wink:

(Jeanne Wagner) #16

Hi Karen, I did one 3-day fast, two 5-day fasts, one 4 1/2 day fast, and then another 5-day fast. The first were within three weeks of each other, I did one each week. The 4 1/2 day fast was a water fast and it kicked my butt. Very hard for me to get through. The last 5-day fast was five weeks later! That water fast spooked me, and I just can’t be that distracted at work. I felt so hungry all the time, and very distracted. I didn’t have anything but water and the electrolytes. Maybe I didn’t have enough electrolytes, but I get worried I may be taking in too many and I don’t want that either. That there isn’t a definite amount to intake is hard, we have to figure it out individually. But when I have one bullet proof coffee a day, then I’m just fine and I still lose a good amount of weight.

But back to the cankles, they are much reduced by a good 85%. I want to keep doing the EFs though, for the rest of the way and for insulin control.

(Debra Holmberg) #17

When you say “extended fast”, how many days are you fasting? I am 2.5 months on keto but having edema in both feet. Today is my first fast and I am fasting for 24 hr.

Thank you

(Jeanne Wagner) #18

Extended fast are typically considered 24 hours or longer. My extended fast or 3, 4 and 5 days long. And lately I’ve been doing five days only.