Ankle swelling..?

(Cailee) #1

I am still pretty new but not brand new to keto. I’ve been in ketosis for a month now (maybe longer but I wasn’t measuring) plus I was low carb several times in the past. I have great numbers, getting blood glucose consistently around 3.8mmol/L and ketones around 2.4mmol/L. I have no known health issues, I am only about 15lbs over weight. I am using keto for the mental clarity as well as the sustained energy. However recently I have been getting swelling in my ankles. Not all the time but every now and again. I’ve read other people’s posts on this and it seems to be an electrolyte issue but I’m not sure what one because I do supplement with electrolytes as well as try to keep my salt at about 5g a day. I drink lots of water, between 2-3L a day sometimes more depending on my activities for the day. I know edema can be serious but because this isn’t consistent and persistent I haven’t rushed to my Doc, but I am curious if I am missing something? What electrolyte is responsible for swelling? I thought it was sodium?

Are you having any other symptoms besides the swollen ankles? Headaches, unusual blood pressure, dizziness, tiredness?
Are you also supplementing potassium or getting potassium-rich foods? I occasionally get puffiness in my face and hands if I overdo the potassium.

Sodium and potassium work together to keep the correct intracellular to extracellular fluid balance.
[note: don’t take large amounts of supplemental potassium, can’t be hazardous to cardiac function]

(Cailee) #3

No other symptoms, actually I feel really good most of the time.
I have an electrolyte drink that has potassium but not a lot and I don’t drink it every day. I don’t take extra potassium outside of that drink. I supplement extra with magnesium and I try to get close to 5g of sodium daily. Sometimes more sometimes less depending on my exercise for the day.
This annoying swelling/puffiness has only been the last week or two, seems to just be in my feet, ankles and calfs and is just kinda tight and uncomfortable. Not painful just not fluid, kinda feels like that growing pain you would get as a kid.

Are you getting foods with plenty of potassium, like avocados?

(Cailee) #5

Yeah I love avacados, I don’t eat them every day but quite often.

I’d try increasing the plain water and/or cutting back a bit on the salt to see if that’s the problem. A little bit at a time. Try elevating your feet to see if that makes a difference. Other than that, a trip to the doctor might be in order to make sure you don’t have other, more serious issues.

(Cailee) #7

Thank you…
Do you think exercise can cause water retention like this? I know it can cause swelling right after exercise, however what about days after? For example if I over did it Saturday then could swelling happen on Tuesday?
I’ve never had this before I’m trying to explore all options. The reason my salt is up at 5g is because I was getting headaches in the evening so I went up in sodium and my headache went away so now that I’m fully adapted I’m going to try to lower like you suggested.

(Todd Allen) #8

I had a minor issue with feet & ankle swelling since I started using a standing desk. The amount of swelling is proportional to the amount of time I spend standing relatively still. When I tore a meniscus in a knee and had to stop walking for a couple weeks the swelling got much worse. And since I’ve been doing a daily walk of 30 to 60 minutes to help the injury finish healing the swelling is gone.

(Hunter Hankley) #9

I have been seeing this lately also. I have been keto for a little over two years now. I am pretty sure it is a seasonal thing for me. I work outdoors, and usually put on around 10lbs of weight during the summer. I’m fairly certain it’s all water weight due to increased time on my feet and exposure to the high temperatures. Usually see little to no swelling in the mornings.

(Srinu Srinivas) #11

Hi @3_4_1_4

Can you share what helped you to reduce swelling after reintroduction of carbs
My mother is suffering from the same condition and please help in sharing this information

Thanks

(Ellen ) #12

I had this in the past and put lemon in my daily water. The next day the ankle swelling was gone. I saw a keto video, I think Dr. Berg, who touted this for ankle swelling.