Angry and sad

(Casey Crisler) #1

Lose weight, exercise and end up injured. My doctor says I may have tendinitis in my knees from all the hiking. Do you ever feel like you just can’t win? I’m really bummed about this. She did say I can walk level or less steep trails but I like going to the top.

I’m also waiting for the results of my first post-keto A1C test. I hope that’s good news at least.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

I’m hoping for a good A1C for you also. Most people find that A1C goes down in a few months after going keto.

Hang in there. It will get better.

Yes, indeed. Hoped losing 40+ pounds would help the back and foot injuries I’ve struggled with for years. Guess what? It really didn’t. In both cases, exercising while I lost weight exacerbated the injuries, and now that I’ve got 'em, a little thing like losing weight isn’t going to help them, as much as I wish it would.

I’m sure your A1c will come back improved, though!

(Casey Crisler) #4

Thanks. I’m not too concerned about the A1C. Even if it hasn’t gone down to normal levels. Since it includes the first month starting keto the numbers may be a little skewed. The next checkup is the real deal. I’m more upset about my stupid knee pain. I don’t think there’s a quick fix for it and I hate to break up my hiking routine. I can do yoga and other light exercises without a problem but I really love hiking. I was considering joining Orange Theory (again) but they have a lot of knee bend exercises which would introduce me to a brand new level of pain.

(KetoQ) #5

Casey –

Will biking aggravate your knees? I know from my days as a runner (long ago) that your legs, knees and feet can take quite a pounding. Or perhaps a rowing machine to get in some cardio while sparing your knees?

Good luck.

(Casey Crisler) #6

“Yes, indeed. Hoped losing 40+ pounds would help the back and foot injuries I’ve struggled with for years. Guess what? It really didn’t.”

That’s what I’m finding too. 40 pounds down here as well, which I’m super happy about, but not getting any pain relief. None. I hate to be a negative Nate or skeptical Sam (actually I love it) but I’m really having a hard time believing that keto is going to “cure” all these pains. Others claim it has but I’m sure not experiencing it.

(Casey Crisler) #7

“Will biking aggravate your knee?”

Unfortunately it does. I still ride and walk and all. I just kind of grit my teeth at the pain. There is too much at stake to stop and revert back to the LazyBoy every evening. I’m just frustrated is all. All these years of being told “diet and exercise, diet and exercise” and then this.
What’s funny is there was a time when I would find any excuse…it’s too hot, it’s too late, I’m tired…to not exercise. Now I’m mad because I can’t easily and will find any excuse to get out there. That’s progress I guess.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I hear you. It’s a frustrating feeling. I hope your knees turn out to be fine. Just take it easy for a while, okay? Be good and eat your bacon, and you can get back out on the trail soon. :bacon::bacon:

I’m so sorry. But think of all the good work you’ve done so far and the countless memories you’ve made in this journey. My husband started hiking around the time when he started keto about ten years ago and now is a mountaineer. I could not imagine him not doing what he does and I could feel your frustration with this. I hope you feel better soon. I’m a kayaker. Why not try a new sport? You don’t have to give up your lifestyle with the outdoors.

(Katarina) #10

How frustrating! I love hiking too. I can think of two possible things that may help. Swimming if you have access to a pool, since that’s really easy on the joints. And extended fasting for autophagy. That can help the body clear up new and old injuries. Not a guarantee, but lots of people have had good results. Look up Dr. Jason Fung if you are not already familiar with him.

(Casey Crisler) #11

Oh yeah, I’m very familiar with him. I have a hard time listening to him speak since he ends every other sentence with “right?” It’s like someone saying “you know?” That’s all I begin to hear. I haven’t read any of his writings so that might be do-able.

(Casey Crisler) #12

I’ve taken the last several days off. Not by choice. Had some issues with the house AC that forced me to stay elsewhere. I’m taking the opportunity to let my knees get some rest. Unfortunately, my diet is taking a hit too :frowning: Hopefully by tomorrow I’ll be back on track.

His writings on his blog except for the occasional typo or use of the word irregardless (huge pet peeve) are great and written on a very high level but very readable at the same time.

With regard to exercise, I lost 50 lbs last year without exercising at all. I sit at a computer most days or am driving my kids around. It was originally unintentional, then I wanted to make a point to friends who would have said, calorie counting and exercise. I did a number of 5 day fasts which really helped. I am now stalled and have considered adding exercise but so far have not felt it. Interestingly, in 2010 I lost about the same amount doing moderate carb and 1- 2 hours of exercise 4X per week (elliptical, road biking which I love, swimming and few reps on the weight machines). One thing, the entire time I was exercising even though I was not yet 50 I constantly had back pain and hip pain and some minor knee pain. Nothing to make me go to a doctor (which would require me to be in a stretcher!) but enough that it was annoying. After about 2 years I stopped exercising and regained almost all the weight because my workout buddy got a job that prevented her from coming to the gym and I lost incentive. The funny part was all my pain went away when I stopped. All of it. It is the classic joke, doctor it hurts when I do this, then do not do it

I have every once in a while since starting keto 16 months ago tried exercising. Each time I do, my level of soreness is much lower than it should be after exercising for the first time. A few months ago I had to help my son dig a major hole to plant a tree. We spent hours digging as it was a very big tree and did some other gardening which I never do. I had not even a twinge of back pain the next day.

The first couple of months of keto as your body adjusts are different than when you are well adapted (a theory only no science to back it up). I had all sorts of weird things flare up from getting into an argument over nonsense the first week (something I would never normally do), to having what may have been gout (may not, ACV fixed whatever it was but it took a few weeks and my toe was hurting), to morning insomnia (would wake early even if I had no appointments) and other things that I no longer can recall. Meanwhile after 16 months I rarely take painkillers because nothing hurts, still have a twinge in 1 knee but it comes and goes. I listen to my friends in their 50s complain about everything under the sun and continue to take their pharmacy of medication.
I would say take a break, let your body catch up, rest and try again in a month in the meantime do some fasting if you can

(Casey Crisler) #14

The thing I find interesting is how much I miss exercising, or being active at least. Since I’ve been out of commission the last few days I’m getting restless and anxious. That’s new for me in this context. Being 52, I also have those aches and pain like your friends but avoid the meds. Maybe Ibuprofen occasionally.
During my first month or two of keto I noticed my irritability factor increased 100 fold. But it’s calmed down a lot after month three.

I am a couple of years older than you and other than being stiff when getting up from a sitting position (which I have had since my first child was born well over 20 years ago) which only lasts for the first few steps, I have no aches or pains other than a minor knee twinge. I definitely had aches and pains two years ago. About 6 months in to keto I really wanted to start exercising, I did a little bit but then got busy with work and stopped. I do find I am more relaxed when I exercise but right now do not have the time or interest, Now I channel my energy into day to day activities

(Kylie Devic) #16

Hi Casey, I’m sorry to hear of your injury. My husband had the same thing and he initially was taking lots of Voltaren and then went on to a lot stronger anti-inflammatories and pain relief to find that it wasn’t working he had a cortisone shot and it did nothing. we came across a product called kyani sunset and within a week of taking the product his inflammation soreness in pain was gone never to return. if you want the link to where you can buy it please let me know and I’ll send it through. Wishing you a speedy recovery definitely check out this product though :grin:

I haven’t logged on in quite awhile! I hope you’re doing okay.

(Casey Crisler) #18

I am. Thanks for asking. Still some knee pain. Just something I’ll have to live with. Everything else seems to be good.

(Jane) #19

As far as keto curing pain… depends on the source. If from a lot of inflammation then most get relief on keto. It doesn’t, however, fix knee injuries.

I don’t have an ACL in my left knee and the doc said (when he scoped it to repair a torn meniscus) to wait a few years for a knee replacement. Oh joy. He didn’t want to repair the ACL because I have the beginnings of arthritis and the repair would give it a place to expand. The choice was loss of mobility with the repair or lack of stability w/o it. I chose the latter and am careful not to twist on that leg and carry a light knee brace with me when I travel just in case.