Analysing my breath ketones (using Ketonix)

Hi everyone

I’ve just joined up after becoming obsessed with listening to 2ketodudes podcasts over the past week. 2 years ago I began intermittent fasting 16/8 and then 2 months ago I moved to OMAD eating mostly paleo. 4 days ago I decided to go keto. All of this has been mainly for the neuroprotective benefits and I’m keen to overcome my anxiety. And on the side, I wouldn’t mind losing a few cms.

So, today my Ketogenix breath analyser arrived. I just used it at 5.30pm after about a 22 hour fast my measurement was 62.5. I am not sure how to analyse this result. I am far from calorie restricting - eating until I’m just over-full. I cut huge slices of butter and then smother it in peanut butter to begin and then for dinner I eat eggs and bacon or equivalent. And I don’t stop until I’m really full.

So, do you think 62.5 is an ok measurement for my lifestyle? Or is it too high?

Thanks in advance

(Bob M) #2

I assume this is a newer version of the ketonix? I have the original model, and that would be a high value for my model. Since I’ve been low carb about 5 years, though, I typically get much lower numbers now than I used to.

You could go look at the ketonix site to see what they say:

https://www.ketonix.com/support-en/interpretation

(Michael) #3

You are doing well Jake. 62.5 is good but probably due to the fasting which more or less prevents insulin release but fasting assuredly prevents carbohydrate ingestion which is the secret to successful Keto.

Here is my reading after lunch comprising of black tea, smoked salmon, a lot of blueberries and an apple:
(Notice that i don’t measure anything! My reading was 30 PPM before lunch.)

The Ketonix is calibrated as follows:

Blue is Basal Level Ketosis (0-4 PPM)
Green is Nutritional Ketosis (4-30 PPM)
Yellow is high Nutritional Ketosis (30-80 PPM)
Red is very high but not an issue unless you have Type 1 Diabetes

80 PPM is the target if one is fighting cancer.

Acetone which the Ketonix measures is a by-product of Acetoacetate.

In relation to cancer, I just happened to watching Professor Richard Feinman’s lecture at KetoFest 2018. He says that in vitro, Acetoacetate levels have a correlation with reducing cancer cell vitality as opposed to BOHB ( beta-hydroxybutyrate) which most people are measuring here to find their ketosis level; those fighting cancer are recommended to use the Glucose Ketone Index. Acetone is a by-product of Acetoacetate.

Measuring breath acetone levels is a no-brainer compared to measuring blood ketones even for those who only want to evaluate their level of ketosis in the recent past.

(Mark Rhodes) #4

I would recommend going through the Ketonix website, research and interpretations. After I did I was able to use mine with better confidence.

If you are interested in how acetone is made you might want to start here

I have had as high as 141PPM about day 5 one time. So high my color was green!!

Wow Michael, that is so interesting! Thanks for the info! So, I guess I don’t need to worry about numbers in the yellow or red. So, this morning I blew 105ppm (off the scale). Is this ok. My instincts tell me it’s fine as I’m feeling great!!

I’ll haven’t listened to all of the Ketofest podcast episode yet, perhaps it includes the lecture by Richard Feinman?

Thanks Mark - have you reconfigured your device as 118ppm would show as off the scale using the default colours I’m using?

Thanks so much for your responses!!

(Michael) #6

Jake, as you are not a Type 1 diabetic you can shoot for the stars. The highest I ever achieved was 133ppm.

Richard Feinman’s lecture is on a KetoFest 2018 stream that is restricted to subscribers at the moment; I would have posted the link otherwise.

Awesome - thanks so much!!

(Nils Hannerz) #8

New on the forum but done some keto. I am also blowing very high sometimes, like after hard training and fasting.

I have a question I don’t find any answers to. In the Ketonix manual there is picture of different levels of acetone ppm in breath. It says that you can get higher values from fasting than from ketogenic diet. I really don’t understand why. If you just eat fat or if you live on your own fat reserv - what is the difference??? I think it is something in the Chemistry I don’t understand. Does any of you understand this?

(Mark Rhodes) #9

My assumption is that the spontaneous decarboxylation of beta-hydroxybutyrate into acetone is higher in a fast because the insulin is a signaling device for production in the body. Keto works because tis drives down insulin and thus mimics a fast to small extents. The lack of signals elevate BHB as well as BRace. I have regularly hit 100 PPm or higher while fasting.

(Michael) #10

Hi Nils, Welcome to the forum

If you are fasting your digestive system is at rest and no nutrients are entering one’s bloodstream through the intestinal walls. Your liver uses gluconeogenesis to generate glucose for essential requirements from proteins and fatty acids/glycerol.

The smallest amount of ingested protein and/or carbohydrate can upset the process of fat burning (Lipolysis) and cause a release of insulin which will lead to a switch to use the newly available blood glucose (Glycolysis) or to store it as liver or muscle glycogen or as fat if one’s glycogen levels are satisfactory.

If you are fat adapted and eating a low carb diet the body is quite happy to use fats for fuel and this results in increased fat metabolism. Exogenous ketone supplementation would probably be the one food that you could ingest that would not have some protein or carbohydrates attached and not immediately upset the level of fat metabolism.