An article to make you smile

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Why, WHY, do they use that title? These folks may have better genes, don’t smoke, stay active throughout their lives, have great social connections in close knit communities, eat fewer calories in general.

I also have to ask myself how many bags of cheetos and two liters of Pepsi they ate. How much orange juice and Kellogs cereals they bought. It’s like comparing apples to dirty gym shoes.

Thanks for that astute summary @PetaMarie!

Now I can skip it. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The Plains Indians of the U.S. were also noted for the high percentage of their population who passed 100 years of age. That all changed, of course, when they started eating white flour and refined sugar.

How much white flour and refined sugar do Okinawans eat?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Plenty of noodles and white rice in their diet, as well as pork which is more of a staple than seafood.

This is interesting to read alongside the above article. Look at the menus and how small the carb amounts are compared to a western diet. Here in the USA it would be a plate filled with rice, but over there it looks like a small handful on the plate http://bring-joy.com/2016/07/31/okinawan-diet-sweet-potatoes

I’m always hesitant to believe the hype around the “Okinawan Diet” because I have no idea how to determine where Orientalism on the part of Westerners looking in begins and ends. It’s amazing how it feels impossible to actually hear from Okinawans themselves.

I do remember the Anthony Bourdain episode tho, and that taco rice outside the American base looked bomb as hell.

The first article appears to be a lie. The second one from a person living there states sweet potato is just a garnish. If the rice and other carbs are just garnishes on their plates, it makes sense they would be healthy. Longevity though, is surely genetic?