American Heart Association is a JOKE

(Brian Miller) #1

I just returned home from visiting my uncle in the hospital who suddenly required a QUADRUPLE BYPASS!!! His 1st day of recovery and his Dr brings him the recommended diet from The American Heart Association and here’s the 1st page of things to avoid:
fatty beef,
lamb,
pork,
poultry with skin,
beef fat (tallow),
lard and cream,
butter,
cheese and
other dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat (2 percent) milk.

The Doctor was less than pleased with me as he saw me shaking my head and laughing so he asked me what was the problem. I told him that “I know my Uncle has followed this exact diet for at least 10 years because my Aunt has been fanatical about it and his cholesterol tests always come back in “healthy” range. So you just recommended him follow the exact same diet that just landed him in here for quadruple bypass. How’s that supposed to work” He simply shriked his shoulders and repeated that these were the recommendations.
Sorry about the rant but I’m Fucking Pissed.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

So…pretty much page one of my shopping list. Except for maybe the lamb.

Perhaps if we started using the AHA and ADA recommendations as the anti-list? Anything they say to avoid, we eat with gusto, and vice-versa. Would probably improve the health of the vast majority of Americans.

(Dustin Cade) #3

this makes me sooo angry too…

This is why KETOFEST is important.

Revolution NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!!

(ianrobo) #5

I really wished I could go !!

And yes the advice is a total joke, all that list is my staple diet !! Only thing missing are those demon eggs !!

(David Driver) #6

The doctors are just repeating this from memory, like a muscle memory reflex. I think that you should point out when they are doing it and that they should probably put some more effort into their recommendations. Dieticians on the other hand…

(Jo Lo) #7

You should have said to the Doc: “You’re fired!”

(Keto in Katy) #8

It’s corruption. Follow the money.

(Todd Allen) #9

How else would you recommend they insure they have repeat customers? If the public ever learns the truth it could prove devastating for the health care industry.

(Richard Morris) #10

It’s only $5,000 away from happening :slight_smile:

While I’m not defending the doctor, I think it’s important to understand how cardiologists are ‘controlled’ by the AHA. If he were to give a patient advice that deviated from AHA specifics or standards, he’d be vulnerable both to charges of malpractice and having his license suspended by the AHA.

On an annual check up with my cardiologist recently, I brought him a copy of my latest labs (my endo does to check my thyroid). My HDL is high (90s). trigs are <50, but my LDL is ‘slightly’ above the lab range. I also brought him an article about those numbers in relation to someone who eats a ketogenic diet exclusively–to demonstrate that there is no cause for concern. My cardiologist simply smiled and said, “Yes, but if I suggest anything to you that’s at odds with the AHA, I’d be in big trouble.” Knowing him, he was agreeing with me but explaining why he could not say so!

That’s why it’s so important to be pro-active in our own health care and be informed. We can’t rely on physicians to advise–even things they know to be true.

(Keto in Katy) #12

I get it. But is there never a point at which the doc has a moral or ethical obligation to recommend what is best for the patient rather than just repeating the party line, especially when he/she knows it is not beneficial to the patient?

I sympathize that docs are in a very tough spot here, but to suggest that they have no responsibility or can’t do anything about it is a chicken shit cop-out.

I don’t mean to suggest that they have no responsibility–but are you sure the doctor ‘knows.’ My cardiologist happens to be very well informed because he reads the literature, etc., but there are many physicians who rely on what they learned in medical school, supplemented by the extension courses they are required to take to keep their licenses–courses most often run by the accrediting agencies who just spout the conventional wisdom.

Low fat diets for those with cardiac ‘issues’ have actually proven to be beneficial for preventing further damage–Pritiken, etc.–so this doctor wasn’t exactly being irresponsible with his suggestions.

(Bacon for the Win) #14

this is very true. Unfortunately there are people who are unable to be pro-active, lack of resources, understanding, education level, etc., and are counting on their doc to level with them, It’s a sad sorry state we’ve arrived at where we can’t have open honest conversations with our own health care team…I mean our illness management team.

(Stephanie Hanson) #15

I’m glad you pointed it out to him. Maybe it’ll get him looking at the latest data.

(ianrobo) #16

I actually have a acquittance who is a cardiologist. I think @richard got involved with one debate and he accepts some of our points. It will happen and all of us can play a part through social media !

(Arlene) #17

NOPE

I read about someone’s diet plan that consisted of looking in the carts of people who use those motorized chairs at grocery stores, and anything they ate was off-limits. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Brian Miller) #19

On a good note, his primary ICU Nurse, who was a rather large T2D overheard a few of our conversations during visits and said he’s started drastically reducing carbs and wants the recipes for Carlshead Pizza and my Jambalaya w/cauliflower rice. Help who we can when they’re ready.

When the student is ready, the teacher appears.