Am I still insulin resistant? No! (I think)

insulinresistance
diabetes
type2diabetes

(Jennifer Kleiman) #1

Hi! I want to share a personal victory - I believe I’ve proven I’ve achieved normal insulin sensitivity. I wasn’t sure. In the diabetic support communities they say you can achieve normal a1c with keto and you can reverse some damage but your beta cells will always be damaged, you’ll always struggle with insulin resistance… Well, I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes 4 years ago, with an a1c of 12.1 (blood glucose average around 300) & kidney damage. At the time I was obese (245ish) & up until then, relatively content with that. I spent a year following standard ADA advice, then woke up, did my own research on diabetes. Since then I’ve tried to read and listen to everything - Dr Bernstein, Fung, Phinney & Volek, even the vegan stuff (tried it briefly, not for me), 2kd of course, KetoGains, ON, etc. Through keto I lost most of the weight, got off all the meds and got my a1c down to the mid 5s. I wanted to push my health further though so pursued healing my insulin resistance through intermittent fasting & then specifically the Impulsive Keto form of 2 meals a day with occasional skip-days and minimal added fats.

The question on my mind is, am I still insulin resistant? There are various ways of testing - waist/height ratio? 33/64 puts me right on the edge. HOMA-IR, based on fasting insulin to fasting glucose? 2.5 iIU/ml x 85 mg/dl put me at 0.5, as good as it gets – maximally insulin sensitive but maybe that was just because as a long-term ketoer my insulin and glucose are low in general. The McAuley index (based on trigs & fasting insulin)? Again, maybe my insulin is superlow because of keto or because as I recently discovered I’m hypothyroid, but my trigs are also low so the McAuley Index says I’m good to go, if I can trust that, but maybe because of keto I can’t. There’s the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) but it’s said not to work on ketoers because even healthy nondiabetic ketoers often develop physiological insulin resistance & aren’t metabolically flexible enough to handle a big glucose load, or so they say.

I figured the only valid way to tell is to try a carb-load and see what happens. It’s been 3+ years since I have even touched carbs. Diabetes = early ugly death and as its preached in the diabetes support groups inspired by Dr Bernstein, strict adherence to keto is how you keep your glucose low & safe. Carbs = death. But if Fung’s right that fasting can heal insulin resistance, or if the weight I’ve lost has cleared out enough room in my adipocytes that I’ve become truly insulin sensitive again, and if I’ve lost enough visceral fat that my pancreas functions normally, and if my poor abused beta cells have recovered enough to function normally… If all these things have happened then maybe I have completely reversed my diabetes… even cured it, if the word “cure” can be used in this context.

I ate the forbidden sweet potato for lunch Saturday. 300g, so 50g carbs. On my continuous glucose meter, my glucose spiked to 153 mg/dl after 45 mins then took 2h to subside back to 72 mg/dl.

Here’s the standard nondiabetic response to a 50g OGTT.

28383520_10211557709286386_1160705057_n

Looks like I actually spiked lower than the average nondiabetic, and cleared the glucose in exactly the average time. Totally normal if I interpret this right.

It’s taken many years to get to this point. I’m not going back to eating processed food, but I am ecstatic that it seems I’ve healed enough to handle whole food carbohydrates normally, at least occasionally. Very grateful to the Impulsive Keto model which is a simple, minimal added fat/whole foods diet, meal timing, informed supplements and safe, short fasts, & @Karen <3

My "Carb Up" Experience
(Karen) #2

Congratulations!!! Go celebrate with a chocolatey, fat bomb. :clap::clap:

(Jennifer Kleiman) #3

Fasting today but tomorrow there may be a bit of dark chocolate avocado pudding :slight_smile:

(Suzanne Leigh) #4

Your story is inspirational. Big congrats on your success!!

I’m not diabetic, but always interesting in optimizing my health and improving body composition. Based on your post I visited the IK site, and their macro calculator suggested I eat just over 1000 calories/day, which seems really low. My BMR is down to 1100, possibly a result of calorie restricting for a few months after inexplicable weight gain. So I’m curious to see an even lower caloric recommendation. Have you had any tests to see if your metabolism changed (or not) with a low-calorie intake? And do you plan on staying very low-cal?

I ask this presuming your calorie and macros recommendations were similar to mine. I could be way off base. l

Congrats again on your health improvements.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #5

The calculator’s a bit of a red herring actually, it’s for people who NEED macros but the real Impulsive Keto model doesn’t involve macros at all, just two meals a day each consisting of a palm-sized piece of the protein of your choice, plus two cups of non-starchy veg cooked with enough fat to make it tasty, but not in crazy excess. No tracking (and no snacking).

Well, for myself I’m trying to pare off another 10 lbs (out of sheer vanity - got a vacay in Hawaii coming up). I’ve been doing alternate-day fasting, eating 2 IK-style meat+2 veg meals on eating days (along with some non-IK compliant prosecco and chocolate avocado pudding yesterday but close enough, I figure). Water-fasting today, it’s easy for me to fast. Now, I do know my BMR is lower than it ought to be but I’m hypothyroid and anemic, sigh. Working on fixing both issues. I’ve tried a solid run of eating at TDEE and gained some weight without any change in BMR. My money’s on the hypothyroid & anemia being what’s keeping my BMR low.

(Suzanne Leigh) #6

Thanks for this info and explanation about the IK macros.

Most of last year I was eating meals similar to you:
“meals…consisting of a palm-sized piece of the protein of your choice, plus two cups of non-starchy veg cooked with enough fat to make it tasty”
Except smaller and more frequently, with the idea of nutrient partitioning and raising BMR. But it was a huge hassle to eat so often, especially combined with cooking keto for my clients.

I’m happier now, eating 16:8, 1 smaller & 1 larger meal/day. That’s what my body seems to want. I don’t go out of my way to load up on fats, but default to roughly 70% fat because it’s my preference. I’m prepping for an EF to start Saturday.

I understand the struggle with the last 10 vanity pounds. I wish you best of luck in that endeavor, and in fixing your hypohthyroid and anemia. Based on your success resolving your IR, my money’s on you!!

Wow- that is awesome!! Thanks for posting! :grinning:

Congratulations on what you’ve done!

I’ve thought about this a lot. I’ve gotten to a good weight and have good metabolic parameters now; but haven’t done it long enough to even consider a “cure”.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #8

That’s exactly what I’m doing except maybe it works out to 65% fat for me. Feels natural right? Good luck with your EF, may it be successful and smooth.

Re nutrient partitioning, I may try that weekly carb-up plan in a few months if tinkering with thyroid meds & fixing the anemia doesn’t kick my BMR up. Plan B :slight_smile:

(Suzanne Leigh) #9

It absolutely does. When i eat more fat I have gastric issues, and when I eat less I feel unsatisfied.

(Karen Ogilvie) #10

I can’t stand macros for keto when regular fasting is routine and it’s 1/2 my website. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And regular fasting is definitely crucial to the Impulsive Keto protocols. That’s where the name comes from - “I’m pulsing” my insulin.

(Karen) #11

Went to the IK website, listened to a podcast. Is the calorie restriction a rea!ly important piece? It seemed so.

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #12

It’s not calorie restriction per se because in IK you don’t track or count, just eat twice a day meat+2 veg with enough added fats to make things tasty without going overboard, and throw in longer fasts when you can. @Karen and I just did a couple podcast eps on diagnosing weight loss stalls though, and one of the obvious things to look at is if you’re consuming too much, or a bad macro composition, or are lacking various micronutrients… We also discuss how eating too little can cause a weight loss stall too in many cases. Or a zillion other factors can be at play. Anyway, no tracking in IK unless you hit a stall & need to troubleshoot.

(Ethan) #13

You may be able to handle some carbs and have a “normal” glucose response. The real questions are

(1) Is your insulin response normal or hyper responsive?
(2) What would happen if you ate a “normal” carb load longterm?

(Karen) #14

Hmmm while I was eating carbs one time at a training session to support the. diabetic, I ate 4 donuts. Go figure. My BG was 84 in pretty short order. Not diabetic, but the weight was not healthy. So what does that mean?

K

(Karen Ogilvie) #15

It’s part of it for fat loss, absolutely. Energy flux is key. Creating a favourable hormonal environment through fasting and keto then satiety signals will have you naturally eating at a deficit if you’re burning your own fat for fuel.

(Karen) #16

Alright 165lb, couch potato, 5’-7", 62 yo

Where should I set calories? Is 1500 too much??

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #17

Good questions. I can’t answer #1 without getting a lab involved as there’s no way to do at-home insulin testing. Ketone level is sort of a proxy for insulin (high ketones = low insulin) but it’s certainly not precise-enough a relationship to be used as a diagnostic tool.

I suspect what would happen if I ate a normal carb load, long term, would depend on whether I began accumulating bodyfat again, or stopped being so physically active. I know the psychological place of fast food, carb-binging and addiction that I came from and I won’t ever go back there, but I strongly suspect there’s a place for a paleo approach of fruits in season and occasional tubers. I have the tools I need to monitor my health & mental status so if I feel that carb consumption is going to turn me into a ravening donut-chugging monster, I know I have the self-discipline to back off.

Of course a sedentary lifestyle & getting obese are risk factors in insulin resistance for everyone, not special to me as a former (former!!) diabetic.

(Ethan) #18

I think I agree, but what is a tuber?

(Jennifer Kleiman) #19

Oh - I mean root vegetables e.g. carrots, potatoes, onions etc.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #20

What’s your goals & current health situation? If you’re trying to lose weight, what have you been doing & how’s it working? 1500 cals is a pretty meaningless number without context

Re couch potato I can only say to get off that couch :stuck_out_tongue: As the lucky owner of a continuous glucose monitor and a fitbit, I tell you, if I am sedentary for as little as an hour I see it reflected on both devices. I’m not saying you need to do weight lifting (although many people DO say that and maybe they’re on to something) but sitting = death. I really hate the gym but I have a treadmill desk (typing on it right now in fact) and a garden and there’s always housework to do if it’s raining and I don’t feel like hittin the treadmill.

My grandmother lived to be 96 and walked every day, until one day she announced “I don’t feel like walking today.” The next day she passed away. Yikes, kind of maudlin memory there, sorry for the downer. Just saying, I intend to follow in her footsteps & not go down the obese, diabetic, hip-replacement-filled road some of my other relatives are meandering down.