Am I severely Insulin Resistant?

I don’t post often, but I read all of your post all the time. I lost 75lbs in about 1 1/2 years eating 20-50gm of carbs a day, then stalled since Christmas. I’ll admit I wasn’t super careful about the carbs since Christmas but was generally in ketosis. about a month ago I decided to get really strict and stay below 20 gms but found the measuring difficult so I just cut out all vegetables, fruit and nuts and boom! I’ve lost 5 lbs! It’s not just 5 lbs of water on the scale but I look leaner and more muscular too. The weight loss is great, but I’m more surprised by the steady energy and lack of cravings. When I feel hungry it’s not a major emergency, I know I’m hungry but I might still sit down and mess around on my phone for an hour before getting food.

Does this mean I’m one of those people who’s severely insulin resistant? Even when I was losing the weight I was hungry and had to resist eating. I nibbled on this and that keto snack often. Now I can go long periods with no struggle. This is the nirvana everyone’s talking about with keto but I’m only now experiencing it. Does this mean I need to cut out all carbs forever?

Btw, I should add I am a 46 year old woman and am now 8 lbs from goal. I also have lots of allergies so it’s possible I’m allergic to some of the plant foods I was eating. I’m definitely allergic to corn and soy. I am eating cheese and HWC so doesn’t seem like I have a problem with that. I’ve never eaten AS besides gum and I cut that out too. The only other thing I’ve noticed is different this month is I’ve greatly increased my fat consumption and generally calories, but my activity level is also much higher.

(bulkbiker) #2

Sounds like a zero carb diet (only animal food based food) is your ideal. Well done for finding it… now enjoy it…

@BkFox1971 Sounds like you’re doing amazing. I’m still tinkering with macros to find my ideal and reach that keto ‘nirvana.’ Question: When you say you ‘greatly increased’ your fat consumption, how many grams of fat do you eat now per day? Thanks.

I haven’t really been tracking food but I put yesterday’s food into my fitness pal and found I had 113 grams protien, 171 grams fat and 3gms carbs for a total of 2000 calories. Actually I’m a little stunned at how much I’ve been eating. This is probably about 500 - 700 calories more than I had been eating earlier this year yet I’m losing weight. Guess that proves calories in/calories out isn’t for real

(carl) #5

My thought is, since you cut out a whole bunch of things at the same time, you really don’t know to what extent each was contributing to your stall. If you want to know for sure, try adding each one back a few days at a time, exclusively. I’d start with sweeteners. :slight_smile:

Well done!