Am I having stroke symptoms or keto flu?

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Dehydration can cause that to occur. No it wasn’t a stroke, everything checked out normal for you :slight_smile:

You are releasing salt going keto, you have to supplement it like crazy to stay hydrated. Phinney recommends 4 to 5 Grams of sodium and drink as much water as you can.

So, Monday night I felt slightly better and went to bed. Tuesday the weakness was still there but less so and not noticeable or maybe even gone by the evening. Wednesday (today) it was completely gone! Then I went for a bike ride and right after the ride it was back. So it seems like my body, specifically my hands, is overreacting to exercise (Monday night I had just written three pages of writing by hand, today holding the handlebars on my bike). I suspect Potassium deficiency due to the dumping early in the diet so I ate a potato (only 15 carbs, it was small) and drank a big bowl of chicken stock with collard greens, onions and garlic. Potassium deficiency has exactly this kind of effect: fatigue/weakness.

I will update tomorrow. If I’m not over this tomorrow I will go to the doctor.

My only concern is that it may be a harmless, temporary keto side effect that will go away but my doctor may tell me to get off keto and then I will be conflicted between medical advice and personal experience (a year of keto, before my recent long break, went FANTASTIC for me, so I don’t want to quit!).

Water fast with me plz

Avocados have a lot of potassium, might be a better choice. If you are in the US, Wholly Gucamole makes these small 100 calorie tubs that are relatively low carbs and you can eat them straight or dip vegetables into them

(MooBoom) #12

So don’t :wink:

You can fix a potassium deficiency!
Eat yoghurt, salmon, broccoli, chicken, tuna- add Celtic sea salt to your diet. I did all this and haven’t had shakiness or weakness since.

If your doc says quit, get a second opinion from a doc who believes in keto.

Drink ketoade until you feel like you’re gonna float away. You are experiencing a bad case of keto flu. Not sure if you drink coffee but I feel better without caffeine. Good luck.

Thanks. Good advice. I need to learn how to concoct one of these keto potions that I keep hearing about so I can drink my Potassium.

Thanks. I am looking into recipes for this concoction. I can’t do caffeine at all. Five years of daily doses and then after quitting for a year I just do not like the way it makes me feel.

Thank you. I will look into that.

Okay update:

Didn’t go to the doctor but I needed to work with my hands a lot over the weekend so I ate lots and lots of carbs, both as a way to make the flu stop and to test and see if it really was keto flu.

The symptoms subsided in about 12 hours and by 24 hours were completely gone. They stayed gone until today, and today I am back in ketosis. So it seems highly probable that it was simply keto flu and nothing to worry about. I am taking lots of potassium to combat this.

(MooBoom) #19

Glad to hear it :+1:

Me too. Very much so. I’m one of a couple of resident “strokees” here. I’m not posting a lot yet, but I stop by and read when I can. I’m using keto and fasting both for weight loss but also (hopefully) for better recovery and removal of plaques and stroke-related debris. Strokes are major bad news. Anytime anyone mentions stroke, it gets my attention. So I’m very glad you’re feeling better!

Thanks. So the ketogenic diet then is stroke preventive? I have another thread where I was looking for studies but didn’t get any. Do you know of any?

Yeah, I believe I found one about recovery. Right now I’m on my phone and can’t search very well. I’ll look on my puter tonight and post.

Thanks, I’ve seen plenty that show it as good for recovery. Do you know of any that show it as preventative?

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #24

I feel off the wagon due to keto flu…not 2 say glad but really glad there are som1 who has the same symptoms as me…will be starting off keto again…

Im T2D since 26yr old…hypertension 29 now with anxiety obese with 30kg over weight and height of 5’2… ( most probaly during d keto flu made my anxiety worst…i am off SSRI since oct 2018…ever since on keto diet DaY 3 i been having palpitations and insomnia during my keto flu ) pls any advice desperately need help

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #25

Bout doctors…no idea of Keto i certainly agree with u LOL

(Christopher McCollum) #26

I’m new to Keto, but to be fair your Dr can’t make you get off Keto. But he/she CAN adapt their medical advice to you lifestyle since what you’re doing isn’t unhealthy. With any patient, there are a multitude of directions one could go to mitigate a problem. Take a K supplement, eat more K filled foods, etc.

Keto is dangerous by any stretch from what I can tell. If it was why would there be so many Dr’s pushing it?

Just my 2 cents

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Since I’ve been eating a ketogenic diet since early 2017 and my blood work is now completely normal, I’d say that a ketogenic diet can hardly be considered dangerous. My doctor is completely in favour of the way I eat.

HI Buffy! and I know this thread is ancient, but still saying HI…:slight_smile: yes when we detox from any nasty chemical/high sugar life foods we can easily ‘go down’ and many experience worse.

So you never have to be ‘overweight’ and you can be one of the most super unhealthy person internally. No extra weight never means one doesn’t have to ‘walk thru adaption’ toward health ever. Change of eating lifestyle can bring that out in anyone.

Eating very low carb/keto/zc/paleo etc is a super improvement any person can benefit from easily, but we ‘all detox and change’ thru adaption time so we have a personal journey unique to each of us.