Water fast with me plz

(PDXAnna) #40

Hi there! I just finished a 72 hour water fast last week. I used to fast a lot several years ago for spiritual reasons, but was not wise in how I entered or ended it. This time I didn’t even try a longer fast until I was accustomed to daily intermittent fasting (only eating from about 12n-7pm). That made it easier. Since I’m still a praying person, I asked for lots of grace, too!

I did learn to wean from coffee ahead of time or expect headaches and lethargy – ugh. My back-up plan for salt was pickle brine (from true fermented pickles, not just vinegar). I use that sometimes when I feel a need for it. But I didn’t need anything more than water – yay!

Day 2 was hardest as far as “wanting” food, not really needing it. By day 3, all was well. I ended up having to break the fast because of family plans. But the experience reset my keto progress that went by the wayside during the holidays… :frowning:

Keep up the good work! It’s worth it in the long run. But it is easier if you are on the road to fat adaptation already. Learned that lesson!

(Jeanne Wagner) #41

Nice! I have heard from a lot of people that day two or day three were the hard days, so I was surprised that my day one was tough when all the previous four days I had done 24 hour fasts I had no problems with them. So mystery unsolved, and my day two is great I just have to be careful about making sure I had enough salt and once I did catch up with it I’m great again. However, who knows what will happen the next time I try a three day fast. It could very well be that the second day or third day is tough on me. I was jittery all day yesterday and a lot of today, but I seem to be calming down a little bit now. I don’t know if that’s just my nerves because this is my first three day fast and I was nervous or if it has something to do with what my body is doing.

Also I woke up this morning and my breath was funky. And it has stayed funky all day. I can taste in my mouth. Not like morning Dragon breath, but just strange. I don’t know how to describe it. Kind of chalky and filmy but there was no film on my teeth. Later in the day when I had ingested some salt my teeth got some film on it, but then after a little while and drinking some water it seemed to go away.

Note to self. Don’t drink coffee when your stomach is relatively empty of anything but water. It’ll come back to haunt you in a very acidic way.

(Joyanna Roux) #42

Day 2 has been very easy! I did have a small vegan hot chocolate but that’s it! Otherwise just tea and water! Feeling pretty good

(Jeanne Wagner) #43

Feels great doesn’t it? :grin:

(Joyanna Roux) #44

Today I woke up so ravenously hungry it actually shocked me! All I can think about is how hungry I am. Gonna have some tea and hope it goes away haha

(Joyanna Roux) #45

Thanks for the encouragment!

(Jeanne Wagner) #46

Oh no. I don’t have any tips other than to drink that water and keep salted. If you feel shaky I’m going to guess it’s either low salt/sodium, or low blood sugar. Keep busy… try that. When I was obsessing on day 1 and feeling pretty hungry, I was able to stave it off by keeping busy. Stick with it! You’re almost there. :slight_smile: I have officially 2 hours to go and I’m going strong. I want to keep going, but I’m also fantasizing about eating again. lol Now that is a food addict mental pattern for me, that I know.

(Jeanne Wagner) #47

Another thing to note for me… I feel my heart beating really hard. A little fast, but just hard. It’s strange, Now, I can always feel my heart beating and I have these little ‘fibrillations’ that happen several times a day. I can feel that too of course. They only last a few seconds. Anyway, after I took my salt around 3 hours ago, it has gone back to normal. I think I haven’t been good enough on my salt intake. I think that will be a sign for me to recognize in furture fasts.

First time I ever did a “Real” fast mine went stupid, to the point of being a little worrying. Beating weird, numb/tingly arms, strange almost pressure, kept checking my sugars, thinking it was that. Had an “In case of emergency” king sized snickers bar just incase. Never made it to that, never happened again during longer fasts.

(Joyanna Roux) #49

Interesting! With me I notice that my body feels slightly numb around day 2! Broke the fast with a bowl of tomatoes, tasted amazing . Thank you for doing this with me, made it so much easier! Look forward to fasting with you in the future :slight_smile:

(Joyanna Roux) #50

I agree! I feel so numb and stupid! I hope with more experience it goes away haha

(mary6aros) #51

I absolutely HATE the taste of salty water! But, like you said, taste buds can change. :smirk: I even tried to swallow a 1/4tsp of salt with water like you would pills, and I threw up! I’ll be trying it again soon. I know I need my electrolytes, and I’m hoping if I buck up I’ll manage! :joy:

Sticking it under the tongue is less gross than trying to drink salt water. Drinking a keto-ade is the easiest since you don’t taste it at all and get in plenty at that point. I’ve got a gallon in my fridge at all times. I do a pink lemonade since the sourness of it lets me hide the add ins. Plus the Stevia of course.

(Jeanne Wagner) #53

@lfod14 thank you for that infirmation. I hope that’s the case with me too. I’ll probably find out this weekend when I try again! Could be my body just wasn’t sure what the heck was going on… maybe my heart was knocking on me saying 'hey what the heck?" LOL

(Jeanne Wagner) #54

@Joyanna_Roux it’s a start. Try try again! :slight_smile: I will too, and probably this weekend. I stopped my fast at 76 hours, so I’m pretty happy with that. I was feeling so anxious and unfocused, I decided not to keep going through the work week, although I feel I could really have done it! I wasn’t feeling hungry at all. But I was having an issue with the focus factor, for sure. Also some constipation discomfort which added to the focus problem.

We’ll see what happens next time.

(Jeanne Wagner) #55

What I ended up doing this evening was measuring out 1/2 tsp and then put pinches of it in my mouth and washed it down with a big swallow of water. This helped me get it all down.

I heard we should aim for 3 tsp/day of salt while fasting. That will take some doing for me.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #56

Hi guys! Just dropping in to tell you this forum has an organized monthly fast the third week of each month, Thursday through Sunday. No “rules”, but many find excellent support there. It has been in place since the forum opened in December 2016. Join us whenever you’d like, start /stop how you choose :slight_smile:

JOIN US! ALL ARE WELCOME :heart:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/fast/zornfast

(Jeanne Wagner) #57

Thanks Brenda I’ll look for it in February!

(Candy Lind) #58

Read this thread:

Then watch the video in this one.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/potassium-disasters/29710

I’m battling a potassium shortage and these were very enlightening.

(Joyanna Roux) #59

Hey everyone! I’ve been eating like crazy since coming off my fast. I find that I overeat after a fast and would like some tips to avoid this. Thanks :slight_smile: