Almost made it 10 days

Okay so I am really new to keto. I have seriously unhealthy relationship with food. I binge…not just a bag of chips…I could eat a bag and then a large pizza, drink a 2litre of coke, some chocolate, toss in some more chips, maybe a sandwich. I could go on. I have had this problem for a long time. I have dealt with it in numerous ways and not many know. I had lost 100 pounds over a year and a half and then I have recently gained half of that back so I thought I would try keto. I went three days and then binged for a weekend. This time I went almost ten days with no cheats and today it all went to hell. I had a piece of gum and its like that opened the dang flood gates. So far I have eaten one corn on the cob, a plum, 15 raspberries…and I’m staring at my fridge while I type this. Is there any hope at these cravings ever going away! Anyone else suffer the same issue? Help me!

(Michelle) #2

Prepare for your cravings with fat.
Avocado
Spoonful of coconut oil
Olives
Make a pound of bacon and store it in the fridge.
Hard boiled eggs
Pork rinds
If you need sweet, very lightly sweeten some heavy whipping cream with a few drops of stevia. Use a whisk attachment and make some “whipped cream” - put dollops of it on wax paper in the freezer

(Jane) #3

Yes, the cravings should diminish… but you have to give it more than 10 days. Your body takes longer than that to adapt to keto and until then it is best to limit your access to carbs (if possible - depends on who else lives with you) and like Michelle said - keep lots of keto snacks handy and convenient.

Eating fat will help also.

Avoid chewing gum with sugar in it. Also, a lot of artificial sweeteners trigger the sugar center in your brain so artificially sweetened gum may also trigger your carb loading. Agree with the others regarding substituting fat for carbs. I was a carboholic before I started on keto and had some issues when I first started. Breakfast cereal, anyone?? I cleaned out the carbs in my pantry so I don’t have that to fall back on. Maybe a handful of nuts, like hazelnuts, cashews, or macadamia nuts would do the trick for you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

If you find yourself needing to snack between meals, snack on fatty foods (buttered Brie is a tasty snack) and then make sure to get more fat at your next meal.

Remember, a well formulated ketogenic diet does three things:

1. It keeps carbohydrate under 20 g/day.
  2. It keeps protein moderate (in the neighborhood of a gram per kilogram of lean body mass per day).
  3. It provides fat to satiety.

There are biochemical reasons for eating this way, having to do with how much insulin secretion is stimulated by the three macronutrients. For the purposes of getting into nutritional ketosis in order to become fat-adapted, you want to be eating enough fat at every meal so that you are not getting hungry. At first this will seem like a lot of food, but trust your body. Fat is your friend.

(karen) #6

Keto is fascinating as it unfolds, but in the beginning the most important thing about succeeding is to stop eating carbs. You need to get over the physical need/craving for carbs, and the way that happens is to stop eating them.

Yes, I get it, you know this … but do you really know it? Right now your only “keto job” is to not eat carbs. :slight_smile: You can eat butter, you can eat cheese, you can eat bacon. You can eat gigantic salads of leafy greens and olive oil, five cups of coffee with heavy cream, half a cup of macadamia nuts.

It’s possible you won’t lose weight during this phase, or the weight you lose will be primarily water. That’s ok. Be patient and get past the addiction first. Once your body is a “fat burning beast”, it will burn YOUR fat.

(Christine) #7

Try not to think in terms of good/bad. Just focus on all the awesome foods you get to have and only have to count to 20g.

I have been Keto 3yrs and I still have some days where the carb binge happens. But you’re only 1 meal away from being Keto again.

(Michelle) #8

Yep. Just get past the carb addiction by not eating carbs. Nothing else matters right now. That’s your only job. My best advice for the first few days, particularly if you have a carb addiction, is to plan your meals in the morning or the night before using an app. That way you know in advance when and what your carbs will be. If you’re still not satisfied turn to your fats.

Thank you all for your advice and support! Yes carb addiction. The struggle is real. I’m trying. Unfortunately my binge went pretty far last night. I forced myself to go to bed and woke up feeling like garbage today. I’m starting again! Hopefully I will last longer than ten days this time lol.

(Raj Seth) #10

Is it at all possible for you to clear out carbage from the house? If you can’t do that, then at least put it behind the high fat, keto friendly foods. Always have some cooked bacon ready to microwave. Make a high fat Meatloaf and slice it into 2" thick pieces, foil wrap and stack them in front of any carbage.
Then when you wanna binge, dont spend time looking for ‘safe’ foods, just grab the easiest to reach keto foods and binge away.

That may be a better start.

After some time, you may find the binge instinct more controllable. Many posts on this forum on that kinda stuff…

(Jane) #11

Good for you. Don’t give up.

Do you live alone or with other adults and/or kids?

I wonder if you can frame it as “continuing” rather than “starting again.”
S&*t happens, and regardless, you just keep on with keto. The binges will very likely happen less and less often (you’ve done a search for “binge” on here? I think that you’ll find lots of helpful advice and folks who are working through their binging tendencies) but in any case, you’re just moving ahead no matter what.

Yes I live with kids and adults and they all love carbs. I like the sound of continuing rather than starting over. I just figured I was starting over because so many on the world wide web said if you cheat on keto you start from scratch. All I know is ten days without a binge was a huge deal for me anyways​:joy::joy: so yes I just ate a ketp meal and am continuing on with my keto lifestyle​:yum: Thank you all for responding to this. It means a lot to know that there are people out there who understand and want to help. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

In the perspective of a lifetime way of eating, you haven’t really lost the ten days. In fact, you’ve gained some useful knowledge and found a supportive community, so I’d say the ledger has a credit balance. You’ve also learned a bit of our philosphy, “Keep Calm, and Keto On.” :bacon::bacon:

(Jane) #15

hugs

It’s really tough when everyone around you is eating what you crave while you feel like you are “denying yourself” and it “isn’t fair”.

It doesn’t feel like that after you are fat-adapted - at least not with the same intensity. Easier to ignore and walk away from it.

But… you have to get there first and the first 2 months are the hardest. But the rewards are tremendous once you get past it.

Hang in there!!!

I agree!

We’ve all been where you are now; after switching to keto I spent the first 10 days having carb breaks while also trying to eat keto. It is very tough to break carb addiction, but it is doable! And after 4 weeks doing keto, I am not having the “Oh, dear God, I need carbs” craving! I’m really happy about that. So hang in there and as @Janie. said, it will get easier.

(Michelle) #18

Mmmm. I love cold meatloaf.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Even better: a bunch of bacon between two slices of meatloaf. :bacon::bacon:

(Michelle) #20

Ugh it’s 9:30 pm on my fast day. That sounds so delicious. My insulin might spike from thinking about it!