Almond Flour UK

(Rachel Rees) #1

£10 a 500g bag is the cheapest flour I have found in Holland & Barratt - I do have coconut flour but a lot of recipes I fancy contain Almond flour. Is £10 worth the investment or do you know if I can buy it cheaper elsewhere?

Also I made the 90 second microwavable keto bread using the coconut flour, blitzed it in the food processor with Stevia and cinnamon and it made a lovely crumble topping for a blueberry crumble weekly treat, complimented with a big blob of heavy whipped cream :slight_smile:

(Duncan Kerridge) #2

I haven’t found a recipe yet that doesn’t work with ground almonds instead of almond flour. And they’re much cheaper…

Erm… try Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose, et al!

I think I know what your problem is - semantics. In the US they differentiate ground almonds (coarser and includes the skins) and almond flour (finer, no skins). You can tell the difference by colour and whether there are dark flecks in it. In the UK, ground almonds is the same as almond flour. Sometimes it is called ground blanched almonds - basically it is ground almonds without the skins (aka US almond flour).

Here is a quick price comparison for you…

You can also get it on Amazon.

Hope this helps and leads to many a fine keto baked good. x

(Duncan Kerridge) #4

Today I learned…

I have just had a look and the same 200g of ground almonds are 42% more expensive in Lidl France than Lidl UK. Bastards!

(Rachel Rees) #6

Huge thanks I would be kicking myself if I had paid £10

(Rachel Rees) #7

Thank you Duncan, goes to show its worth posting on here if unsure of something especially if it saves £s

(bulkbiker) #8

That’s brexit for ya! Oh no wait…

(Rob) #9

This was a pretty good discussion of the potential for substitution of coconut for almond flour.

The TL/DR of it seems to be basically 1/4 coconut for 1 almond, but you need to add a not algorithmic amount of liquid/eggs to make up for the difference and for absorbent coconut flour to suck up.

Makes recipes much cheaper (in the US) though looks like Blighty may offer cheaper almond options.

(Rachel Rees) #10

The allergies is a very good point in that link. Something I wouldn’t think about giving my baking to the children to take into school. I know now, glad I read that, thanks. Safe enough at home though.

(Allie) #11

Amazon is the best place, always get mine there. Ground almonds. If you need it finer then zap it in a bullet type blender or coffee grinder, but I’ve never had to do this - tried it once just to see and there was no difference.

There is a fine line before it starts turning into nut butter!

(Aedan Kiernan) #13

Same, I’ve found Holland and Barrett to be very very expensive for bits, but they can be convenient at time. When I’m being organised I get my almond flour from here, it quite reasonable and they do coconut flour too. https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/almond-flour