All Animal April

zerocarb
carnivore

(Karen) #261

A better night last night albeit still a wakeful itchy one.

My CrossFit friend who’s a plumber came round and fixed my hot water flow which had come to a halt on Saturday. Nice guy in fact he is the guy who recommended the landscapers to me. Anyway I now have running hot water hooray!

Brunch was lamb chops and dinner minced beef. Funnily enough I preferred the mince turkey and lamb so don’t think I will buy minced beef again. I added beef dripping and salt and it was all too much… ate some cooked chicken too.

Potterd in the garden, cleared some paperwork and spent some more money in the 50% sale at pound stretchers … bird feeders and food and a few more planters just in case lol

A daily photo of my rhododendron

Couldn’t post this last night cos I had replied to 3 posts so this is yesterdays. Just woke up from another itchy scratchy night. 🥱

(Linda ) #262

Yeah I can over eat on meat too.
And I think for me ketosis is prob part of controlling hunger but along with that I’m finding electrolytes helping in controlling hunger also…Im not eating til 3pm but am hungry by 8.30 the last couple days.
Prior to that I was doing ok on one meal…so im going to look at adding more maybe

GOOD LUCK!

It was so sad to read your comment :frowning: I just couldn’t eat little and fasting is out (beyond 24 hours)… But I can stall forever even with off times, it’s something. It could be so much worse.
I am sorry for your stress too :frowning:

I still only did it with pork shoulder… Pork chuck is nice and safe and I love it so much. Leaner cuts are problematic as I don’t get enough calories and added fat works unwell… But I think I go into that direction now as I LOVED my crispy white-ish sponge cakes yesterday (3 egg whites, one yolk, less “dough” per muffin mold, they were amazing with smoked pork chuck and cheese alike) and pork thigh is the cheap and wonderful meat that Alvaro loves too… Turkey has its skin but it’s still a bit lean (though I tend to eat Alvaro’s turkey skin too :slight_smile: I need to work separately with it as it never gets crunchy on the meat. maybe I should try to solve that problem).

I can’t do OMAD though will try harder as it’s monthly fast week again… Yesterday I ate around 3pm first and it was 3MAD, almost 4 but I stopped myself, I wasn’t truly hungry.

Seeing new photos about your plants is always a joy :smiley:
That night looks bad :frowning: I wish you a night like my last one! FINALLY I slept enough AND at the right time (I had a nice 7 hour sleep the night before last but I was awake between 2 and 4am) and I don’t feel exhausted unlike in the last days, yay! I want many things to be done and when I am a zombie or an exhausted one, I just can’t.

By the way, do anyone has any idea to REST when one feels super tired but laying down just doesn’t help? I can’t rest, I can’t nap, I just get up and watch something nice hoping for the best… :frowning:

Maybe I should learn to meditate (I did that in the past but very long ago) and playing music is good too as I remember… I must focus on it and I can’t think about worse things and it’s good and music is great too… Even if I can’t do it as well as someone who doesn’t let their already tiny skills to rust…

Going out is nice, cats too… But not enough when I feel exhausted without a good reason. Maybe I just have to focus on my proper sleep.

I am getting ready to sow the flower seeds I bought. They all require quite warm weather and we didn’t have that yet but forecast says it will come and I think today is the day, I go out and check but it was already warmer at 10am than before… It’s sunny and nice.

As for my plans for today’s meal(s?), I will roast turkey wings and make 2 scotch eggs (they just fit next to the turkey and I had a little meat enough for that purpose. I don’t make another pork roast right away when I have turkey and still a little leftover roast… I wait 1-2 days).

that is too wild and scary azz flooding to boot!!

@robintemplin
yea he enjoys surf fishing alot so his buggy has some pride to it HA

@Karen18
yup, swore you wouldn’t temp fate again, but ya tried LOL
hope the anti-hists work for ya fast!
For surf fishing one just stands on the beach and goes into water and throws in their rods and then waits for ‘whatever’ to bite :slight_smile: no surf boards! He wouldn’t survive on one HA

no…but we have been to that one. It was nice. This is Myrtle Beach Travel Park in North Myrtle. All the big parking lot campgrounds look alike :wink:

@Ketodaisy
fab pics and you truly scored well on those markdowns. boy when I hit like that I load up also. you did so well on that haul!

[quote=“CaptainKirk, post:260, topic:114292”]
So, I am going to FORCIBLY reduce my calories
[/quote] HI!! Nice to ‘see’ you again :sunny:

In real facts tho on this carnivore plan we don’t do this and don’t recommend big long fasting at all BUT I KNOW this is how you do it. You do it your own way but in the end, alot of times, the more you monkey with no food and hunger and trying to force the body to change we can’t keep it up ya know…and we crash back. I am only saying for the sake of saying, best way back into carnivore is just eat. All you need when you need it and let the body heal and change and then our appetites even out as our hormones rebalance and our bodies find its new health. That way we do it thru our food intake and not thru forcing fasting or making ourselves eat less and limit/restrict our food intake. Now that is the way one should go into carnivore, but I know you been doing your own thing a bit. But I just had to say it to you LOL

wish you all the luck Capt K! Those sneaky sodas lead to eating a bit more and then off we go backward. I know that one. Done it a few times myself :wink: but it sounds like ya got a plan, so wishing you the best!!

yea big stress in life is a toughie to handle. feel your pain on that one but also one has to try to correct those issues best one can to to help ourselves. hope you are able to do anything to help yourself de-stress your life a bit!! I know I had times like that and worked hard on finding ways to make my brain slow down and feel better thru issues, so hope things pan out better for ya!!

--------------Brrr it is frickin’ cold here. high is only like 62 and wind makes it worse. ugh but tomorrow promises into the 70s

food yesterday was 2 sausage patties, 2 cheeseburger patties and this was dinner: hubby cooked steaks and shrimp on grill. yes my steak was overcooked, boo! I said keep my steak super rare and I got a tiny bit of pink inside but it was ok, I woofed it down anyway. He just doesn’t get I require very rare steaks but hey, he tried and I didn’t get in his way, I let him grill and just ate it :slight_smile: This steak and shrimp didn’t cost me a fortune too :wink: all on sale stuff from my home. Love my rv we can cook like this. Of course you can see my bottle of water, all I drink but darn if a few rum drinks ain’t starting to call my name…weee…hmm…

hubby found a brazilian restaurant not too far away. gonna check them out online to see menu etc…we just might be going tonight. well maybe if I am in the mood. I could easily do another steak and shrimp on the grill tonight. I don’t ‘require’ a ton of worrying about eating out or restaurants anymore, even if it is a brazilian place calling for me :slight_smile: I just don’t find eating out a thing I require ya know. I did, but carnivore it is just so easy to eat all I want at home and I am more than satsified and happy in my food.

I love that about this plan. I am just ZC and me. I eat so well. I love my foods. I am in a happy carnivore spot in my life :slight_smile: Plus right now I am smiling bigger, I am on vacay LOL

hold on April zc strong everyone! eat well and be happy!

(Judy Thompson) #267

I fasted a lot in my 20s and 30s. Now in my late 60s I find the non-extreme approach works, don’t want to do anything I’ll overreact to with a binge. At this point I can’t imagine that happening but - famous last words! So now, also under stress, VA isn’t fun for us, every half day is something else on the schedule, it never seems to let up. So, I go easy on myself, eat strict carnivore but not expending energy worrying. Not weighing and measuring. Anything. Just breathing, walking the puppy, surviving the restaurant meals and the tiny broken kitchen until we can go “home” to the new place in TX, mid May if lucky.

Yesterday, met friends at the diner. 2 eggs and bunless bacon cheeseburger. It worked.
Lastnight, 3 scrambled eggs and ½ lb sausage, what hubby requested.

Today, another friend, another diner. I’ll check the menu online. @VirginiaEdie do you know Bob & Edith’s in Arlington? I picked it because it might be good for eggs and meat.

Wonderful post and thoughts how it goes down for you JJ!
I so agree, when we ‘tweak’ and put ourselves SO strict about our eating and all the time having to ‘live our lives’ with stress and more we do what works against us. I know, I been there too so I feel you on what ya wrote.

Sorry VA is annoying the heck outta ya :scream_cat::clown_face:

you are finding your TX life way more great than what ya just went back to but good thing is May is approaching fast and you have limited time til you are back where ya wanna be! you guys seemed to be thriving there actually which is fab!

(Robin) #269

@CaptainKirk I was right there with you as you described your descent. I know those so well and all the awful feelings just compound and cascade and shame steps in to deliver the final blow.

I am glad you are pulling out of that emotional and physical tailspin. It’s so freaking hard! I did that so many times in the past. I would like to think I am no longer susceptible, but that’s just denial.

As you said, stress can be the first and driving force when we lose control. Being retired, I have not been truly “tested” in many years.
But I know that speaking your struggle out loud is huge! A game changer.
I am sure am rooting for you, Captain!
You got this.

(Kirk Wolak) #270

Robin,
Thank you!
I am working to reduce the work related stressors, and simply accepting that I will do less…

Last night I spent 1hr reading a PAPER Book before going to bed. It helped, I slept much better.

(Kirk Wolak) #271

Fangs,
yeah… But after gaining weight (and not an insignificant amount) while being carnivore.
I am finally doing the LION version (beef, salt, and water)… But the glucose was so high,
and simply not budging on that approach. I know fasting empties it, once i get it out, I get
much better results.

Every body is different… LOL

But I truly appreciate your support!

(Robin) #272

Uh, yeah… books are the ultimate cure for what ails you.
The end.

(Daisy) #273

Today’s omad: raw beef suet, 3 soft/medium boiled eggs, and 4 short ribs from my cow. Had the worst sleep I’ve had in a couple months. I started a new cortisol manager last night, so I don’t know if it was that, the bacon from yesterday, or a combination of both. I had heart palpitations, was up every hour or two to pee, and just tossed and turned when I was in bed. Fortunately it was my last day off of my mini vacation (staycation) so I was able to sleep in. Tomorrow is back to 5 am. :triumph:

(Linda ) #274

I def get it I lost most of my weight on keto and the last 12 on carnivore then I got the carnivore hunger and that was the end of weight loss since then my body grabs everything and holds on for living death. From my bottom lowest I gained back 25 lbs and that was eating carnivore lol.

I get it our bodies start fighting back our hunger hormones ramp up and our satiety hormnes drop lower. Then if we stress our cortisol shoots up blocking us from losing anything. Feels like a no win battle.

Id start to lose a few lbs then all if a sudden it’s like overnight they back on lol. Last time I was down 8 then got sick and back it came for what seemed like no reason. At all… nope I don’t have to go back to sad to see my weight climb. Just a step back to a keto desert can be enough

So for me its become trying to find a way to turn the hunger off without starving without calorie counting I don’t want to go back on the diet wagon. . I’ve tried lean protein than just ramped up hunger even more ,I’ve tried more fat that helps with hunger but too much and I can see the weight adding to my middle. Going back to keto was a fleeting thought but i love carnivore just need to find how it can work for me…uggh and fasting for extended time never really been one for that I can do omad but if I’m hungry I’ll still eat two.

So I started looking into ketones, and the studies of how low the hunger hormones go lower on ketogenic plans
and that they don’t see the same body shifts in fighting back like they do on other plans

Then I noticed that there were also studies done where ppl taking in exogenous ketones were having the same loss of hunger even if the actual boost of ketones in blood lasted only a short time frame and probably did nothing to help with actual ketosis or weight loss by the resuts but it was the loss of hunger I was interested in.
Being that the ketone salts are attached mostly to the same salts as in electrolytes magnesium, potassium sodium and sometimes calcium that’s where I headed to next was it possible that by taking my LMNT or other electrolytes powders that are just collecting dust on the counter have an affect on hunger…

So I started taking them to my shock my appitite dropped like crazy I went to omad for the first 4 days even a meal of chicken thighs which never fill me up (I had 3 for dinner and didn’t eat til next day). the last two days was more two meals but today my hunger is back down again …as for weight loss down 3.5 lbs will it hold idk but it sure feels better than being up…

I felt a bit “tired” before 5pm, it’s the feeling when my body wants food but refuses to give me proper hunger signs, it was always super easy to understand.
So I ate.
I had huge variety and ate as much as I could without resorting to sweet pancakes :smiley: That always can add more calories but that’s for desperate times (very low variety, bored with meat, bored with eggs, bad state).
I feel pretty much satiated but my vague guesstimation (using my memory, ha! I have notes but downstairs just like my photos) says I ate too little for OMAD. Well my turkey is still roasting…
But. With or without turkey, unless my guesstimation is VERY off, I went over 40% with protein. It doesn’t matter, of course, it says very little about my protein intake but I rarely see such numbers! :smiley:

I had some serious sweet dessert times lately (it’s my normal off carnivore since forever), still quite low-carb (it would be extreme low if I had a zero net carb sweetener) but it’s quite annoying to eat sweet stuff out of necessity, without desiring it. (Because if I want it, of course I eat it, that’s the normal order of things. It’s not like it particularly harms me and if I do it right and I tend to, it doesn’t even balloon my calories, it just helps me to get satiated without forcefeeding that I can’t do anyway.)
So I consider that the biggest challenge for the next 1.5 month, avoiding that. (Or if I do extreme low net carb high total carb experiments, that time is a little shorter. But that’s not what I consider optimal just probably harmless and if it’s all about fat-loss, it’s fine. But it never is :smiley: If I was sooo very attached to lose fat, I probably would have done it a bit more successfully.)
OMAD is pretty much vital for that I suppose - or some extreme high variety with determination.
As I just get bored of my non-sweet carni food, sometimes worryingly quickly. Except on my meaty days with lots of perfect pork roast after low-meat times, I eat enough meat to get satiated and satisfied then. I think. Fat content and my relationship with eggs at the moment still matter.
I really, really want to do this right but if I am hungry and I can’t stomach my food, I will go off immediately, of course. But I don’t wanna… :pleading_face:

Today was good, lots of variety, I ate 10 sponge cake muffins too… Even if I get hungry again, I have wonderful and new turkey (if I haven’t eat it since days, it’s welcomed).
It’s almost impossible for me to get bored of sponge cake muffins, they are just a base anyway, I can add zillion different things! And now I figured out how to spend the least amount of cleaning up afterwards. Whipping the eggs is about 20 secs, some mixing and this and that but that’s fun… I like my new simple mixer. It works better (quicker) than the previous one despite not being super strong, only 300W. Oh well, I am just glad it’s so good.

One day I will make proper photos of the garden but at least I have food pics now.

The almost black things weren’t so dark but they aren’t pretty for sure. They are half pork, half fried chicken liver and good enough :slight_smile: I was worried (not really, I have a freezer and I always can make a little space in it, apparently) I can’t finish the 500g liver in a few days, not even with Alvaro but he ate it quite seriously so it will be okay. I definitely will have a big break again, I don’t like it nearly as much as before.

And I tracked. Well some tiny meat was left but it’s probably a bit below 1600 kcal with over 40% protein in the end…
We will see what this approach does to my satiating along with OMAD. Or not with OMAD, maybe I can’t do OMAD like this, who knows? I know I need my calories and leaner stuff keeps me from it. But I ate fattier meat as well so it’s borderline okay. Probably not every day like this but for a little while…
And I am curious if I will desire fattier food in a few days. Maybe not, I still eat enough fat (I suspect my smoked chuck is fattier than the normal chuck but I don’t know and it wasn’t a big amount anyway)… I think.

It’s cool, I automatically have different times and every change is an experiment! (And no change is that too but probably less informative.)

[later]
I wasn’t really satiated, I was borderline hungry and it’s a horrible feeling. I can’t handle lack of proper satiation when not well-fasted. So I ate. Only another sponge cake with a little smoked pork but it did the trick and now it’s nice.
Still 42% protein :smiley: Oh my.
And I vaguely planned my tomorrow. I never stick to my plans, I just wanted to know if my food is enough. Well my protein went up like crazy so rather too much while my calories are lacking but what can I do? Maybe I will eat some old dry sausage… And I do eat chuck and that’s fatty… I will need some crazy fatty stuff for 2000 kcal… Or maybe I can pull off eating a lot of sour cream… I would be totally lost if I had to add fat as how? Maybe cracklings… I don’t plan ever to add much added fat.
But I never will have a high energy need anyway. I will figure it out.

If I don’t forget it as I usually do, I will measure myself. IDK why, it’s 75kg anyway but still. I haven’t weighed myself since ages as I always forget as I know the number anyway…

Very proper carni day #2, by the way. I had some problems to stick to it just for ONE day lately but it’s easy now. As I have lots of meat and a great variety, it always helps :smiley:

(Linda ) #276

Your meals seem to be dropping in size with your omad how is it affecting you clothes and weight wise?

(Karen) #277

@Shinita so glad you like the pics todays pic of that rhododendron

@Fangs yep doesn’t matter what it is we aways say never again and then find ourselves right there … again! This evening the itchiness has eased off some so I am confident I am nearing the end of this allergic reaction tonight… phew! Hopefully get a better night’s sleep tonight. I will take one more anti histamine tab before bed and thats it. I don’t think I will need one tomorrow night. Sorry to hear about your cold weather. I rarely ho to the beach these days because I live yoo far away and never fancy the long drive to find the coast is too many degrees colder than inland. I mean for heavens sake I was roasting in my garden this afternoon but had to go to the bank, when I walked out the front door I needed a jacket on! It was at least 4° cooler! … thats a lot!

I would be looking forward to the Brazilian restaurant if it is anything like the one my daughter and I went to not so long back. I am sure you will lets us know how you got on.
Some great foody pics on here BTW.

Wasn’t feeling so dizzy through the night when getting up for the loo which made me feel I could have re started the stair runs this morning but I didn’t, I am still resting. Probably start next Monday after my weekend at work.

Brunch was a good sized ribeye steak nice and rare then a bit later I cooked up some bacon crispy in the oven but was just too salty and too crispy . I didn’t really enjoy it. Jad scrambled eggs for dinner and then a bit more bacon pan fried this time, flash in the pan style and that was better than earlier. Then cracked open a tin of tuna and had that with some mayo.

All photos are so great… But only like 18 hours and I can eat again…
My appetite is way ahead of my need to refuel… (My feeding urges never socialized much so they are pretty much independent, nothing is new. It’s good I am not interested in food until late. In eating, I mean, I am very interested in food all the time.) But I have good food now. It’s so odd to have roasted turkey and waiting for almost a day… But they take ages to roast and I can’t just make them when I get kind of hungry… But if I roast them for lunch, good luck to skip lunch even when I am borderline satiated… Sigh. This is the problem with my roasts. They are nice and tempting when they get ready.

I am not really complaining, it’s great to have both food and desire to eat it :slight_smile:

(Linda ) #279

Yes that can also be a problem for me if I’m cooking a meal for my husband and I’ve already eaten previously then the smells and the look of the meat can start hunger that just wasn’t there prior to the meat getting out of the oven…
That has caused me to eat an extra meal so many times ugggh

Oh smells never bothered me :slight_smile: Alvaro often makes eggs with dry sausage in my fasting window, that thing has smells :smiley:

As long as I am nicely satiated, it’s usually fine.
But I almost always can eat at 3pm… The pull of eating lunch together after I made tempting food for myself as well is pretty great, only perfect satiation keeps me from eating then (having a big meal at 5-6pm on the previous day can do the trick, that lasts long). Or unusually strong determination. It’s the monthly fast now so it’s easier now. At least this time I can go back to OMAD. Or almost OMAD, I am fine with that too. I would be fine with TMAD if I could do it but nope, almost never can happen.

If I already eaten and it was enough, that is safe again.

Sometimes I plan to make my roast in the evening but what if I get hungry earlier? Tough decisions.
(Not really, I must have some ready to eat meat in my freezer or fridge. I don’t have that, again… I plan to make some but my roasts are so very tiny lately, they disappear quickly.)