All Animal April

zerocarb
carnivore

(Karen) #201

Another lie in this morning but I think I needed it as I had a bit of a wakeful night to start. So 9.30am no stair runs and spent the day sitting and chilling. I sat outside for the afternoon, pottering but not potting lol. Maybe tomorrow. I have to soak the roses overnight before planting out and I forgot last night. May forget tonight too and just get on with potting the Morrisons plants tomorrow. Did some dead heading which I have decided is quite theraputic.

Contacted the Occupational Therapist at the Community Stroke Team this morning just to update them about my blip.got all emosh again. Then later my pharmacist called, he had been updated by the doc but still wanted to have a chat. He said he was really pleased I saw Dr Brown and commented oh how good a Doctor he was and how bright he was and that I can feel confident he will have come to the right diagnosis. Still got this flippin dizziness :crazy_face:

So I put the pork should joint in the oven and while that was cooking i had a small sirloin steak with 2 fried duck eggs. The steak was nice and rare and the duck eggs look over easy but they were actually a bit soft inside, quite perfectly cooked again.

The pork came out well.

The pitfalls of getting the perfect crackling … a smoked out kitchen!

But voila! :smiley:

This bit of crackling got done by the side as it was on the underside of the pork so I cut it off before cooking. As you can see it got a little bit charred. Still yummy.

First bit of the pork.

Enjoyed the whole lot! Greedy me!

Just finished a bit more pork!
oooh excited lol… my Aldi hydrangea bloom starting to emerge :smiley:

Will no doubt eat something else before going to bed if only for a different taste in my mouth!

(Karen) #202

@Karen18 You’ll feel so much better once you take that retirement! It will be the difference between night and day. Hope you’re back to your normal kick ass self soon! And the new flowers are so beautiful. Your yard will be heaven on earth for you to enjoy your brews!
From IKEA we went to Ledos where I got an order of plain wings. @Karen18 your wings have looked so mouthwatering, I couldn’t wait to get some!
I accidentally ordered a dozen so, ate 6 and brought the rest

No idea if i have done that quote thingymajig correct but this is about those wings lol … was that a deliberate accident ordinarily a dozen hahaha

Nope did the quote thing wrong and had to edit! I’m a dope!

And yes I think i am.truly ready and need the retirement. If i don’t get it with ill health i may have to bite the bullet and retire anyway :roll_eyes: only be about a year left so I reckon and I can subsidise my income frome my saving for that long … won’t be able to do much else but hey ho!

(Karen) #203

Blockquote
Probably donenit wrong again :roll_eyes:

My daughter thinks I should leave the prison and get a little part time job watering and deadheading all the plants in a G/C :rofl: if I could get away with doing just that and abstaining from buying all the plants that would be a crazy good idea :slightly_smiling_face::wink:

(Daisy) #204

Made my very first casserole this morning. I was volunteered to make one for church Sunday so I figured I’d better give it a trial run! Ate 2/3rd of the casserole and a lamb steak. I have officially switched to bbbe for the next month or so.
My hand is still very swollen today.

image image

(Judy Thompson) #205

@Ketodaisy OUCH! It’s always something… What could that have been in that bag? My guess is a spider amongst all those delicious flies. Looks a little like a spider bite with all that swelling.
Hubby was restacking firewood a couple years ago and sustained a bite like that but it was a scorpion. The usual woodpile predator in TX. Similar to yours but I think somewhat more intense.

Went to the commissary at the post today and couldn’t have been less interested in most of it. We have meat, so just got a little, and a bag of shrimp, and a few things for hubby. Found some liverwurst, yummy. I just push the cart around in a fog thinking, there’s nothing in this store that I need.
Maybe next week I’ll get some steaks.
I did get a little pork belly which I’ll roast. And I did NOT buy pork rinds cooked pietously in safflower oil! WTH?

This morning, I finished the chicken salad before heading out to teach a lesson. I used reg mayo as per a conversation here about a month ago. But I bought an extra jar of ghee so I’ll make butter mayo next time. Soy oil is just not right.
By the time I got home, about 4, we were both starved. I fried up a lb of the farmer’s grass fed burger and we split it (after I took off some to salt and eat raw!) and hubby had his with his usual sides and dessert. But there is snack time still to come and there’s liverwurst and cheese! Looking forward to that. Last time I ate it, everything was causing D. Nice to be adapted and get to enjoy a meal.

I have empathy and sometimes I imagine myself in the place of others (usually animals and plants) but flies aren’t delicious to me even then :smiley: Once I bit on one in my cocoa. I was a kid but I still cringe when it pops into my mind…

WHY am I hungry at 11am I wonder…
I think I have enough food for today even though the meat is a modest amount… I can eat it all, tomorrow is shopping day and in the city, let’s see if the hypermarket has those insane 2kg pork thigh limit things. I want chuck though. My biggest fav with the perfect fat/protein ratio and I haven’t had it since too long.
I tracked, I ate a bit much yesterday, nothing extreme, I rarely do massive overeating on carnivore-ish (or whatever yesterday was, my old carnivore-ish definition is strict and I can’t do that now) and that doesn’t really count as it’s always just one day and a meaty one after lower-meat ones… But only happens with too fatty meat so I am safe nowadays. But I ate multiple times and had pancakes, these days tend to be a bit stronger.
Carbs were a bit higher than usual and it was mostly the fault of my animal products, it happens when one eats 14 yolks and a bunch of dairy with carbs… Wow. I am bored of egg dishes now, how did those add up? :smiley: Well I didn’t have enough meat and I always can eat pancakes and I drank 3 yolks in my coffees… And still ate 4 eggs in simple form in the beginning when I was hungry…

I should go back to OMAD but I can’t yet. So I must accept night eating. I just can’t avoid it with small meals :frowning: Okay, it was just one egg last night but still. Not fully natural to me and I never know if I can stop at 1-2 eggs or need a bunch of other stuff.
Oh I get pork and it will be solved for a while. I would welcome some roast again - but I will make scotch eggs too, they didn’t get boring yet :smiley:

Today I will have eggs, a little sausage, a scotch egg and… Probably dairy to fill the void I will still have. Cheese and a little quark. Tuna if I am desperate. I should be able to do one very proper carni day (in my world. when I have little meat and have quark with a short shelf life anyway).

I opened a bag of cream so I have coffees with cream ~. Try not to go overboard but I learned moderation in the last months when it comes to that. I still have too many coffees but the cream is tiny.

Weather forecast promised rain. It’s not even very gloomy. It’s a tiny, tiny bit of sunny, not really but something is there.

It’s good my too early hunger doesn’t get bigger but goes away lately. It’s not a very old development but very welcomed. I had enough of many small meals.

real happy for ya JJ to get thru that adaption time :slight_smile: I used to love liverwurst. When I moved to the South the stores don’t have the brand or quality I like. Some ‘fancy’ stores do but they are alot longer drive from my house, not worth it, but enjoy that for sure…yum.

I love walking thru the store ‘not needing or wanting’ anything either :slight_smile: such a refreshing more carefree life ‘not wanting’ when in a grocery. nice perk of just not ever wanting any of the crap they stock on those shevles.

@Ketodaisy
OK Pony up that casserole recipe. eggs and ?? and ?? Makes a nice BIG amt of food at one time, great leftovers too so it is always nice having some zc food to go to in the fridge. Something you are gonna rely on a bit in your menu? yea probably spider, but darn that hands looks rough, but I hope that heals up fast for you!!

@Karen18
So sorry that dizziness is hanging but sounds like you are on a right path to get yourself fixed up with good doctors!!! You know, you should get a ‘dizzy report’ from your Dr. and send that in for your ‘ill health’ early retirement option and kinda push more that you ‘are ill’ and dizzy and work is not an option to work so hard after your episode. Many that can sway it one way or the other, but K I think ya got a good early retirement case for yourself :slight_smile:

no don’t be working in no garden center, you will buy them all with that paycheck ya get and then have no money leftover HAHA

A smoked out kitchen is worth that beauty of that plate :sunny:

this is tough. one has to have the meats available for sure in order to ‘set this lifestyle’ down tight. Sorry you are having meat supply issues, and yes it is very tough to even consider carni without a good supply of meats around you.

Hope your ankle comes around fast for ya!!

-------------------SO keeping my zc very simple. works best for me.
had a nice smaller NY Strip steak yesterday and here is a pic of my 1.25 lb. mini meatloaf. Just 2 eggs and a lb. of 85/15 burger. Fat little ball of meat:

IMG_20220414_121310_314

ate 1/2 of it and will eat other 1/2 today along with another steak but I am ‘being dragged to the store’ today cause my daughter turned 17 today for her bday -----and we leave sunday for the beach trip----leaving her home------and today she wants me to take her to the store to buy her survival foods for next week :slight_smile: SO at the store I think I will grab a pack of chicken thighs and use that grease and make that parm gravy hubby made and try chicken thighs tonight. So either chicken thighs or steak tonight, we shall see.

I am in zc chill mode. Just cruising along. I haven’t hit a scale in a while and while I type that I think, yea I might take a gander at what it might be, but ya know, I don’t care to even drag the damn thing out of the closet to bother getting on it :slight_smile: By gosh I think I am truly getting over the scale and don’t give it a big thought anymore. Well maybe next month I will get on it and check if I lost a lb. or 2? whatever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Daisy) #208

“OK Pony up that casserole recipe. eggs and ?? and ?? Makes a nice BIG amt of food at one time, great leftovers too so it is always nice having some zc food to go to in the fridge. Something you are gonna rely on a bit in your menu?”

And just like that, the quote button doesn’t work again. Ugh.

Anyway! It’s just egg, bacon and butter! I cooked the bacon and left some of the bacon grease in the pan, then added a little bit of butter (maybe a tablespoon or so). This was a small casserole dish, so I used 6 slices of thick cut bacon. Then whisked I believe 8 eggs, poured it over the sliced up bacon and baked at 350 for about 35 minutes. When I do the bigger casserole for tomorrow, I’ll use 12 eggs and add some salt and cheese. It was plenty salty for me with just the bacon, but I don’t eat salt :joy:
I don’t think it will become a staple for me. I’d rather just eat the bacon and eggs :joy: but it’s nice to know how to do it for social gatherings!

Pie woke me up at 5am (normally she isn’t inside but she was outside for long and she is quite forceful. of course I am stronger so I win if I really want to but well, a lil kitten with me, what harm could it do?) and I stepped wrong on my bad ankle, it was aching for hours but hopefully it gets better already. Shopping will be easy, we won’t do some bigger hiking Alvaro planned though.

I got really hungry at 2pm so I ate a really small lunch. Somewhere below 900 kcal, it seems… 4 very soft-boiled eggs, 2 scrambled eggs with a little sausage and cheese, 2 sponge cakes with dry sausage and sour cream (only one at once) and coffee with yolk and cream. It should be enough for a while, probably won’t, too small but we will see. I am not satiated but I am not hungry and got bored with all my food again… Maybe scotch egg is an exception but that’s for dinner, I only have one but it’s a proper sized one with 110g pork.

It’s tricky with meat. I can buy it anywhere but sometimes things happen, it was super unusual that I couldn’t walk properly… I will be more careful and consider a big slab of pork nothing and buy more asap… To cover unusual circumstances. Or when I have scotch eggs but would fancy roasts too… I don’t know if I could eat only scotch eggs for a meal. It sounds doable but I never did it with spicy meat stuff (and some eggs) alone…

And I am not used to the tiny slabs in the village shop… 2-3 pounds, I usually buy way bigger ones. I like the hypermarket, I grab one and it’s 7-8 sometimes =) That’s some proper amount, I even cut it into two when I get home and freeze it separately.

I SOOOOOO won’t be shy tomorrow in the super- and hypermarkets. I buy a big bunch of meat, I think I have enough space in the fridge and I will roast a lot of it right away anyway. As much as I can comfortably fit into my oven pan. I forgot when I ate roast last time, it was too many days!

(Daisy) #210

Getting ready to go outside for the rest of the day, so big early omad to fuel me!
Bone broth jello, suet, egg casserole, and lamb chops

(Karen) #211

@Fangs a dizzy report :rofl: iff only that would work but I fear I would get sacked for medical inefficiency knowing the prison service! I wouldn’t get any monetary package that way. The Doctor was more than happy to put something in writing and said he was sure the OT would be happy to do same but it isn’t going to help with the IHR. Have a fabulous time at the beach x

I felt quite perky this morning and looked at the CF wod and thought bugger, right up my street but I am being a good girl and resting properly. I have worn down now at 7.30pm. I spent the morning potting the new plants and they look lovely then pottered doing a few odd jobs in the garden that I hadn’t got round to, nothing major just little odds and sods but weather had been too bad to get out and do them. Glorious day today, turned out 22° and probably hotter out the back as my garden is a south facing sun trap. I wanted to get roses out tomorrow so had to pop out to the G/C for some proper soil.for them… got to at least give them half a chance, never grown roses before. There was one climbing my extension wall when I moved in 30 years ago but that suddenly died on me … probably because I had no idea how to look after them. But I seem to be doing something right with the other stuff out there so we will see how I get on. I have enjoyed sitting at the bottom end of the garden this afternoon. The neighbours were outside and put there gazebo up so they probably will be sitting out a bit more now the better weather is here and i can hear their whole conversation when I sit outside my back door. Sitting down the other end I could hear them chatting but I couldn’t hear their conversation which was much better. The sun was higher in the sky so it was lovely and sunny and stayed that way till 7pm. Nice sitting with a different perspective on the garden :slightly_smiling_face:

Brunch about 1pm cold sliced pork. The fat was lovely. Dinner just now was a very tender and very tasty rump steak and again plenty fat.

This has just bloomed on my kitchen windowsill .

(Judy Thompson) #212

Saturday morning… I read yesterday but didn’t post. Went for a hair appointment and there’s always plenty of time to read but you can’t trust it to write, the hairdresser could be back at any moment!
I’m walking a lot with the puppy, something I don’t do in TX as we have a few acres of fenced property so just open the door and let her go. But she loves to walk so I’m out 4x a day or so with her.
I roasted a pork butt, really overcooked it in several hours fewer than the recipe suggested. I hate ruining the farmers meat, it’s so expensive.

Then later I steamed eggs for scotch eggs but didn’t think they were soft enough, so put them away and will try again. Ate very little of the pork at lunch, so later had liverwurst and provolone. Sort of dry but the puppy had some of it and she was happy!

Today we’re!! going to some friends’ baby shower in a park, called a “BaByQ” lol. Should offer some yummy food.

So I’m teaching this morning, then heading out - will be good to see old friends again.

And oh yes - hubby found the sous vide circulator! So back to tender yummy meats, yay!

Wagon fall late last night at a family event, a family reunion after 2-years closed borders lifted. I paid again in joint pain and brain fog. I’m not the best student.

OMAD today. Cut up two cold beef rib leftovers into a scramble of 3 pasture-fed local chicken eggs. A sprinkle of the leftovers of camembert cheese.

Back in the countryside now. Just me and the pets and a controlled home food environment. Mrs. Bear is away on a silent meditation retreat. I get to talk to Bille the Labrador and the cats for 2 weeks.

(Robin) #214

But here’s the cool deal. Your body is so adopted to your woe, that any significant deviation will cause it to send up flares of distress. There is no mistaking the message and no way to ignore it, unless you want to go back to achy muscles and brain fog as your new old norm. So once again, we learn. Again and again, if necessary.

(Karen) #215

No stair runs no CrossFit :tired_face: forgot to soak my bare root roses overnight yet again. I remember on one of my loo trip last night but thought stuff it I will end up wide awake and won’t be able to get back to sleep. So i put them to soak this morning and I am thinking about putting them out shortly as it is after 5pm now.

Walked to the CrossFit Box to meet my daughter who had been doing the class this morning. Went to bank to try and sort what we were trying to sort last week but this one was shut too. Used to be open on Saturdays :roll_eyes: anyway we continued on for our walk which was about 2.5 miles… she was short of time today. As we walked round we came across a load of dropped pine cones so after moaning that I had to carry my backpack bag on this walk it came in handy as I always have shopping bags inside so we gathered as many as possible, well maybe more like as many before we got bored gathering hahaha. Surprising how heavy they get when carrying them along the road!

Returned home and put some wings in the oven and sat outside while they were cooking.

Popped over the road to the big park to see if I could find some duck weed and got accosted by 2 guys, separately, who both kept me talking for too long. Had to make my excuses to get away as my head was popping again. 2nd guy had a lovely big German Shepherd that I was happy to pet while he talked then did the same as first and excused myself. Home again and decorated the pots with the cones and opened the gate between our neighbouring houses so next doors doggo could come through to get away from the mower she doesn’t like lol.

That big shopping bagful of cones didn’t go far!

Just eaten 3 lamb chops, 1 thick and 2 thin ones.

Probably eat a rump steak, I have defrosted a bit later.

(Karen) #216

Well I got those Roses out into pots and now the waiting game to see how they take :grinning: 5 lol … just thinking, I never do things by halves lol. Just as well I have a largish garden!

Had to sort out computer issues with help from tech guy at EE who was very nice and resolved my issues. Then I had to get my password reset for outlook and now I can access my emails 9n the main computer but all my old emails have disappeared. Arghhh my head really hurts now almost like a migraine hurt!

I didn’t fancy eating the steak as time was moving on so I had the last 2 duck eggs scrambled in some butter and added some salt … maybe its salt i need, it was nice x

(Heather) #217

Every year for Christmas, my boss gives me a $100 gift card to a butcher’s shop in town. Last year, he gave me a $50 for administrative assistant’s day as well! I picked up a delicious ribeye for lunch today. Yum!

It will be a quick one, more later. (I REALLY should know myself better though it still feels a smallish one, I could write sooo much more.)

City shopping is done. I got so tired, I had a nap after eating at home (Alvaro’s Mom still thought one small chicken leg is a lunch though even she realized it wasn’t enough even for Alvaro).

Well yeah, what we expected happened. Meat prices shot up. And what’s more, there was only a tiny bit of close to expiration date pork chuck with plastic on a not even great sale… Well I still bought it :smiley: And much more proper chuck from the meat counter. And turkey and Alvaro got pork chops and we got our Easter smoked chuck… Some pork thigh too, it still had a great price, well it has the price cap on it until May but there was an insane close expiration date sale on it, $3 per kg in these times is almost miraculous! Well my turkey is way cheaper, yay.
And then Alvaro’s Mom gave us home-raised homemade smoked pork chuck but it’s fine, we can eat it all :smiley:

My freezer is almost full and I have leaner and fattier but not too fatty pork to roast tomorrow and eggs and smoked pork chuck to eat.

Alvaro says cat food went up 30% since last week (and it was totally sold out in the supermarket we usually buy it from, the price went up the same there) and his oats went up 25% since a month. Nothing unusual, it’s what we have now. He still could buy some radish at a good price… But yep, meat is the best choice if one want to spare money… Especially turkey, that’s amazing.
(Chicken frame is still below $1/kg, it has a price cap too but this is the ridiculously cheap stuff anyway.)
Well at least the vet wasn’t way costlier than years ago…

If it’s about pork, thigh (with the price cap and we love it) and shoulders (we don’t want it for a looong while) are the cheapest things. We will buy as much thigh as comfortably fits into the freezer, fridge and our stomachs in the next weeks I think… We love it anyway.

I wrote down some prices in the supermarket, maybe I will write about them later. Lamp ribs were over $45 per kg I think, even deer was way cheaper I think…
Pork chuck, my darling thing that was a lot on sale for $4/kg went up to $6/kg (in the hypermarket with great meat prices. I saw it for $8 too and in the supermarket where I always bought it quite cheap). I bought beef leg for that price ($6) 1-2 years ago but it’s Hungary with a big inflation all the time… It was a wonder to get pork for the same price for so long. Eggs too (still 54HUF, it was 45-48 for AGES. the new price is a tad below $2 for a dozen and they are great eggs, not from badly kept hens with inferior tasting eggs from the supermarket so I don’t complain :D).

Butter is more and more expensive but now the cheapest one is pretty close to the somewhat fancy ones (not Kerrygold but I didn’t see any)…

I bought acrylic paint and nailpolish in awesome colors (2 purples :smiley: wonderful together, I painted a small pet rock with them. Nailpolish is great for rock painting but I just use them for background)…

Aaaand we forgot the soil but it’s fine, it’s everywhere and I am not in a huge hurry yet. I bought 2 packets of flower seeds as I have a place for them now! Usually I am very lost where to put them in this very full and very not flat tiny land… And I forgot to bring daffodils and tulips for Alvaro’s Mom. I always do that, it’s important for me, we have ZILLIONS of daffodils and they live their last days :frowning: Oh well, we still will have tulips. And who knows? Maybe we go again soon, we actually have a webshop order to pick up but it takes super long this time… And the daffodils’s days are really numbered. Oh well, it’s a tiny thing but still a pity… But we will have other plants, soon comes the lilac and the lily of the valley, then the others…
We still heat the house a bit but weather will get warmer…

(Karen) #219

Looks delish :heart_eyes:

(Daisy) #220

Todays omad: raw beef suet, thick cut bacon, soft boiled eggs, and a small sirloin. :100: deliciousness!!

I went to the store today and this was the egg section. I’m so glad I have chickens!!
image image