All Animal April

zerocarb
carnivore

(Karen) #181

Beautiful blooms and all that crispy fat looks so yummy. Amongst the other bits I took out the freezer to defrost I also decided pork would be a good option. A nice pork shoulder joint which will take a day or so to defrost so should be ready to cook on Thursday. I may as well eat well if I have to stay at home and rest up! :wink:
I have the plants to pot so I don’t think I will be bored tomorrow. I have taken them outside so they are just ready to make look beautiful. Your kitty looks beautiful :heart_eyes:

Yes, it was pretty tasty :slight_smile: And Pie is very, very pretty. And SO TINY! I am unused to 2kg kittens :smiley: Lovely lil thing but very stubborn and demanding. It’s a nice spring, why the cats all want to be inside? Sigh. Tofu gave up at this point though. She has a huge winter fur and started to shed it weeks ago so she is banned. She is a table climbing plate and pan licking one anyway. Of course all cats may do that but Caroline is usually more modest if there is just some leftover drops and nothing else while Tofu is a late bloomer when it comes to climbing. But she learned. Well Pie learned these things right away…

I want to finish digging my tiny vegetable garden (oh I need to add the usual flower row as I forgot and I have young onions and parsley there now) but we had such a great rain that the soil is still quite wet :smiley:

(Daisy) #183

Cut up the rest of the chuck roast, plus some raw beef liver, couldn’t finish it! 2nd picture is what was left.

(Troy) #184

In the meat of the matter
Not to make too much fat about this

Many are struggling

FOR ME

No need for the top 3
:slightly_smiling_face:

just saying

(Judy Thompson) #185

@Shinita beautiful cracklings AND scotch eggs all manufactured out of a cheap fatty pork roast… brilliant!
@Karen18 a virus!? So you weren’t that far off with your covid guess! Good you got some time to rest and recover and even your work days are less strenuous than usual. I love the expression “face to face” rather than ours which is “in person.”

Lastnight I couldn’t sleep, lots of sciatica and itchiness, so I came downstairs to the couch and read. I must lie very still while reading as Fossil thinks I slept 7:24. Happy to fool it :slight_smile:
Also, I was hungry, so threw pork rinds in a bowl and snacked while reading, which hit the spot without having to cook anything.
Because of that I wasn’t all that hungry today, fried up the 2nd half of the chicken, kept the dark meat for me and also diced up some of the breast meat and a boiled egg and some mayo to make a little chicken salad which was delish! I ate half and tonight, finished it off.

The Scotch eggs were scotched lastnight by a student calling right after the eggs went in the ice bath, so they are probably hard. I will probably make some anyway but they’re so much better soft.

Picked up food from the Amish farmer’s drop today. It’s been a couple years since I could - mmm grassfed beef and pork butt and raw cream and pastured eggs!

@Tmdlkwd yup. Grocery bills are so low since I started carnivore!

(Alec) #186

FB
I was going to the wrong place… just been to Aldi…

1. Porterhouse steak: $20/kg
  2. Scotch fillet: $26/kg
  3. Eye fillet: $30/kg
  4. Panda massaged: $50/kg

Bacon was also much cheaper than WW, and I reckon almost ALL carnivore foods were cheaper or MUCH cheaper at Aldi.

I will now be going to Aldi for my carnivore fare.
Cheers
Alec

(Karen) #187

Again an impressive effort. Is it organic, grass fed or butchers meat? Can’t recall whether you said … someone in a previous post mentioned supermarket and referred to not usually eating supermarket meat raw??? I was always under the impression that fillet steak was the only really safe meat to eat raw but you are obviously proving that wrong if you are able to eat it and not feel poorly after. Do you buy it fresh and eat it straight away? How long would it be in your fridge before you decided you would have to cook it? And one last question have you ever bought it and freezed it straight away and then defrosted and ate raw? Lots of questions before I attempt it myself. I have eaten steak tatare and when I was young i was always drawn to eating fish raw … it was always freshly bought. Back then I would never have heard of sushi, I was only a child so do you think it was my body just telling me there was something I needed in it. Of course mum always use to threaten to chop my fingers off as she was preparing it and say it wasn’t good for me hahaha. Lovely memories. Of course now lots of people eat sushi which is raw fish!

(Karen) #188

Before discovering The Company Shop that sells the ‘close to’ or ‘at’ use by dates so are usually half price or less, I used Lidl all the time with the odd trip to butcher, which is very like Aldi, as their prices are so low. I prefer Lidl meat to Aldi meat so even though I have both stores in walking distance and also in short car distance (I can count at least 5 big Aldi and Lidl stores in a 3 mile radius) and in all honesty I can’t really taste the difference between their meat and butchers. So now as i am possibly approaching this Ill Health Retiremrnt :crossed_fingers: I will stick with the cheaper stores!

Oh and I have noticed that I can find reduced meat more often in Lidl than Aldi, so a win win me thinks !

Made softer boiled eggs, I doubt I can peel them properly, they may be a bit too soft but who knows? The too soft batch yesterday is nowhere now, I ate 5 soft eggs :smiley:
In the end, I didn’t do IF. I had 4-5 meals but very chill, they were quick and tiny, I can’t help that sometimes. But I didn’t need to think about what to eat until I had meat. I run out in the end and made another egg when I realized I am fine. 6 eggs in total (counting the scotch one), maybe 1.2 pounds of fatty meat and some ice cream (yolk and cream, basically, maybe 50g from each) in coffees…

Alvaro was very happy with the scotch eggs and seems very ready to eat them again. THANKS A LOT, @JJFiddle! It’s so perfect, meat and egg and easy to make, pretty to look at, it doesn’t need 2 hours like my roasts… Well it has spices but that’s fine with me. I probably wouldn’t like it without spices so much… It’s too similar to our heavily spiced frikadellers and Stefania. Alvaro didn’t miss the garlic that is normally used for them (and I always skip, the thought doesn’t even find the way into my mind when I am making it, maybe before) so all is well. But I use a BBQ spice mix in my sausage spice mix and that has a tiny bit of garlic powder anyway and one can borderline taste it.

But today we finish the beef stew, we both were so shy with it when it got even smaller.

And I probably need some meat shopping tomorrow or the day after… I still have turkey but that’s not much.

Another nice sunny day. But the cats want to sleep in my beds as usual…Pie is almost lost in my huge bean bag, she is so, so tiny rolled up. Or what is that expression.

Not necessarily. I had many vegetarian sushi in my life (it happened in some years only but those were the times :)). It just means sour rice I guess and it comes in many flavors. I never wanted the omelet ones as that’s boring and odd a bit. Especially now. Why would I want rice with my tiny egg?

Sashimi, well that’s raw fish as far as I know, it’s without rice :smiley:

Raw fish is great. Since I had good raw salmon in Japanese restaurants, I just can’t like cooked salmon as much. It’s way better raw but you need fresh fish for it…
Others were wonderful too (escobar, bluefin tuna)… Mmmm.

I really should check out the all you can eat Asian restaurant in a not so distant city… I talk about it sometimes here but it was so very awesome :smiley: They had nice fishes and I didn’t eat them raw but they very quickly made them publicly on their special table… I am curious how much and what would I eat now… Even then, I avoided the sushi, why would I eat cheap rice when I can eat meat and desserts… Now I would totally go for the meat, I can make nice cheap low-carb desserts if I fancy them… But those were pretty and tempting and tasty too. And carbs make me hungrier so they may have their roles… Sorry.

It’s really not a big journey but it isn’t that close and gas is pricy so we don’t just go there without a very good reason. We bought special paint there before.

(Karen) #190

Of course, I am talking at least 55 yrs ago when I used to pinch the raw fish as mum was preparing it! I have never had sushi because as you say it usually has some rice in it and I haven’t eaten rice for a number of years. I have always been on some form of food regime that I wouldn’t break from until some other regime took my interest but i would be on these different regimes for a few years before thinking some other regime looked interesting. I have always been a hunter gatherer though eating mainly meat and for at least 15/20 yrs, maybe longer, have been wheat gluten free and dairy extremely limited ( it was completely free barring mozzarella and goats cheese but since starting Carnie in Nov 2020 I started adding back in cheddar and stiltons, which I have now removed for time being)

@JJFiddle yes Covid … we still have to do a LFT for covid every day when we get into work due to the enclosed, high number environment so I did one on Monday which was neg. We always have a rolling eyes moment when we find its a neg and we have to stay at work :roll_eyes::rofl: i told my colleagues who supervise and collate the tests that I thought I may have had the virus but no. I did one at home too prior to the Dr’s appt just to make sure it was still neg, I wouldn’t want to pass it on to anyone. Apart from the symptoms I was having I thought I may be coming down with something because I always get a few little annoying spots appear on the tip of my nose! Strange I didn’t feel any sore throat though. The Dr said that after a Stroke symptoms can be heightened as the brain is working overtime, hence all the dizziness and nausea, to remedy it! Things I am learning!

@Karen18
wow on all that medical and finding your new normal thru life. sensory overload input and more? yikes. you watch yourself now my friend!! :slight_smile:

--------------fast one
outfitting my rv for beach trip sunday
alot to do here and leaving kid and dog in good form and then us taking off to relax.

today is a nice steak and got burger and MIGHT HIT store for some wings. for some reason I go on and off wings now like a mad woman LOL No idea.

hubby made ‘chicken gravy’ the other day when I cooked him chicken legs to eat. He used all scrape, grease leftover, added in a tad of butter and a few gratings of fresh parm cheese into it to melt along with a teaspoon of water. OMG I coulda just drank all of it when I tasted it!!! wow he is thinking at tad more like me…cool and I might just do that to my wings I cook, tad of chick parm gravy over them? hmm…rare hubby gives me zc ideas HA

(Karen) #192

That gravy sounded great maybe make a ton of that and have as a broth /stock drink lol course you maybe don’t want that now you are getting into your hot weather! …talking of which I am now chilling in the garden in a pair of shorts! Was freezing yesterday and all wrapped up :upside_down_face: crazy. Supposed to be nice and warm again tomorrow and for Easter weekend, breaking into rain again on Tuesday. Enjoy your trip yo the beach, take it you are off for more than a day… long weekend?

Went to Lidl for some essentials and obviously bought some non essential reduced meat but can’t pass it by … then thought i wonder if the 50%off deal is still on in Pound Stretcher and it was so ended up spending just as much as I did the other day on planters and 5 different climbing bare root roses. Never grown roses and I suppose if I am honest a bit afraid but I am going for it … they were only £1.25 each so nothing lost if I find out I am not a rose grower hahaha.

(Karen) #193

Last night I was still feeling like I needed to eat so opened a can of corned beef and ate probably 400 of the 500g! Must have needed it. I can remember when I would have just finished the whole thing so not to waste any but I threw the last 100g in the bin as I knew I wouldn’t eat it. Did me though.

Half decent sleep, wakeful till about 2am then not too bad after that woke about 7am and went to the loo and returned to bed thinking I had nothing to get up for and it was going to be a chilled restful day.

So up about 9.20am fitbit says i slept about 9.5hrs which I guess I needed but not sure I slept that long hahaha.

No stair runs, didn’t even attempt them, still a biy dizzy and thought no I am to rest at least a week before giving them a go again. I am such a good girl and I don’t want to face the wrath of my daughter :roll_eyes:

Had lamb mince this morning, pan fried it and added some chicken spice and I brewed a mint tea and poured that I and reduced it down and add bitter at the end. Tasted fine and I managed to get through the whole 500g.

Decided to brave the rain showers and went to Lidl for my essentials and of course non essential reduced meats that I saw. Took the car as I didn’t want to get wet. Then to Pound Stretcher and checked the 50% sale was still on and bought more planters and 5 bare root roses to plant… naughty girl. Returned home to chill in the glorious sunshine that decided to show up earlier than forecast. So shorts and t shirt on and sat out with a brew. The planting will be saved for tomorrow. Keep me busy.

!

Dinner was 2 lamb chops

Don’t think I have eaten enough today so I will be having something else when I can decide what I fancy… eggs maybe or tuna. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Banana thread threw me a tad off but some days ago I was wilder…

But now I really start my final, stricter time before June, it won’t even be hard as long as I don’t get bored of my food. At least my net carbs should be super low, I wanted some low net high total experiment anyway (okay, as high as makes sense with very low net, it’s not like I could eat fibers and erythritol galore :smiley: well I could but well. I trained myself out of that attitude and don’t want to ruin my results even if they weren’t so stellar)… Not in a hurry with that… But for now, very very proper days should come.
Not like today was bad, still very much keto and felt fine and the vast majority of my food was carni so good in my books (and track record).
I had several eggs, a little beef stew, 1.5 scotch eggs (but one was tiny. I MANAGED to make some with runny yolk, yay! it is possible, indeed!), 5 sponge cake muffins for the stew or with sausage and cheese, the ice cream where things went off a bit, not like they made it much better, I am pretty sure I overdid the rum and it made it a bit bitter. Next time I just freeze the whipped cream, that’s nice.

It was an okay day and below 20g net carbs even with all the extras, no idea about totals ever but couldn’t be way higher. Calories are super vague but it’s either lowish or great, definitely not much but not super low either. It was a very satiating day.

[spoiler]I stop eating up the unusuable-for-Alvaro fruit stuff, tiny but usually unneeded, I will freeze it. But it’s cool he eats the canned fruit, he is fine with that sugar and we still have a ton. Apricot from 2019 because the tree did nothing since (they do that normally but early blooming often meets frost and that’s no good either. they often get heating then, a row of fire between rows of trees but of course a single tree in a private garden doesn’t get that)? We still have many jars from the original 120. I don’t know how I canned the fruit when we had 3 big apricot trees, not one. And they had fruit in the same year. I just remember it was quite stressful. But ONE tree managed to force me to pressure can 16 jars a day in the strongest time.
Oh but I love my fruit trees. I just really don’t mind when they don’t yield a ton of fruit… Alvaro wanted kiwi at some point but I talked him out of it. It needs space, work, some structure we so couldn’t do it, we didn’t make a proper one for the grapes yet - and if things go “well”, they yield insane amounts of fruit. And we don’t even like it :smiley: Alvaro said but someone said home kiwi tastes better… I don’t care. I can buy the ONE kiwi I may want per year. But I can live without, really.

I need it to get out of my head. Sigh. But I need look at my beautiful fruit trees a lot, many are in bloom now, smaller plants as well.[/spoiler]

(Karen) #195

Had both lol

(Judy Thompson) #196

@Shinita so glad the scotch eggs are working out! I need to have something ready to eat when I get hungry, and scotch eggs fill the bill. I’ll start over and make some nice soft ones - I didn’t finish the ones I started Monday as they weren’t soft yolks. Don’t want to waste the sausage.
@Karen18 You’ll feel so much better once you take that retirement! It will be the difference between night and day. Hope you’re back to your normal kick ass self soon! And the new flowers are so beautiful. Your yard will be heaven on earth for you to enjoy your brews!

Diced the last piece of chicken breast this morning and 2 eggs and made a chicken salad, sampled it but then stored the rest. It will be fantastic at some point.

We went to IKEA to finish our order of cabinets for the kitchen but found out there’s a small fridge in a dk green cabinet that would look fantastic, matching the rest of the cabinets we’re putting in this tiny kitchen. For us - now - it would be perfect as I no longer have 30 jars of pickles and sauces, drawers full of veggies and nut flours to store. With carnivore a small fridge is fine, hubby eats 1 kind of veggie, boxed potatoes and an iceberg salad - every day. There are no leftovers. The freezer is a pull out bottom unit, the whole width is like 24"!
Just saying, this simple diet is so easy to manage.
When my daughter lives here she’ll be cooking at her bf’s so that should be easy too.

From IKEA we went to Ledos where I got an order of plain wings. @Karen18 your wings have looked so mouthwatering, I couldn’t wait to get some!
I accidentally ordered a dozen so, ate 6 and brought the rest home.

(Daisy) #197

Well the quote button appears to be working again! See answers inside of quote :joy:

Today I had just what was left from yesterday’s omad and some raw beef liver. I knew it wasn’t enough, so I had some suet too, but it’s not pictured. The same quantity I usually eat. I really didn’t eat enough yesterday, so I knew I’d be hungry early this morning, which I was. I told myself to wait until after I fed the animals at 9 to eat. I went up, started feeding the animals, and I feed the chickens dehydrated bugs because unfortunately they can’t free range due to neighbors. I reached my hand into the bag of bugs, grabbed a handful and tossed it. Reached for another handful and was met with excruciating pain! I jerked my hand out of the bag and tossed that handful to the chickens, then I shook the bag a few times looking to see if there was something alive in the bag. I couldn’t find anything but was definitely stung by something. The first picture was right after I came down to the house. The one picture really doesn’t do it justice, but you can kind of see how swollen it is now. The other picture is how much I can make a fist. The most unsettling thing is not knowing what it was! Today definitely wasn’t enough food for the day, but it’s almost 8 and I’m not hungry, so can definitely wait until tomorrow.

@Karen18
you are gonna be able to open your own Garden Center real soon :wink:

could not overdo that ‘fat gravy’, probably give me the runs in the long term of sucking down too much of that tho. But a little for taste, yea I have to say I will make it.

@JJFiddle
same for me, saw K’s wings and now yours and I want them also…these pics we post just keep me drooling for sure!
SO agree that this lifestyle is so manageable and simple. So much less to handle in the kitchen and shopping!

@Ketodaisy
cool your quote is working fine and WOW on that hand!!! Yea something sure punctured you. I had bagged goat feed and stuck a hand in and brought out a rat and said from that day forward, nope…I always use animal metal feed scoop in all bags at all times from that day forward. When getting hay bales down I always check for the damn black snakes too…I hate being surprised by anything alive HAHA
Hope you do ok on healing that up!!

--------------- SO that little fatty gravy hubby made was good and I stopped eating chicken thighs. I ate tons when starting this lifetsyle, but in the end, got SO sick of them and the taste wasn’t something I was drawn too anymore but I am gonna buy a pack of cheapy ol’ thighs and cook them up and make that gravy and see if I still like them. Would be a money saver for sure against beef prices for some use. When back from beach trip I am going chicken thigh buying HAHA

got alot of stuff to handle this morning so I am going to put a mini 1 lb. meatloaf into oven in a bit. That way I got something hot to eat later. I like my meatloaf reheated fine, not many meats I like reheated but my mini meatloaf is one I enjoy heated again. Never liked eating it cold tho.

so 1 lb. burger today and dinner I got me a steak to hound down.
easy peasy

zc on great for april everyone!

(Karen) #199

Thank you for thoroughly answering my questions, I appreciate that. I don’t know why I thought perhaps eating it after defrosting would be any different as I know myself when it come to beef and lamb there’s no problem cooking it from frozen, though I always prefer to cook from fresh. So the chuck tasted better raw than cook, thats awesome and good on you for giving it a try. I doubt you will ever eat it cooked again😁

That hand looks really swollen. I bet you chucked out whatever stung you when you threw that handful of bugs to the chickens. When I worked the landings on the wings I often got bitten by fleas when turning the handle on the cell doors. Used to get me in very much the same way, it would sting the base of my finger which would swell up, though I haven’t had the whole hand swell up. Numerous occasions … and I always thought 'bloody hell, I’ve been ‘got’ again! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: used to take ages to stop itching and the swelling to go down. I feel your pain :hugs:

Ouch! Get better super soon, @Ketodaisy!

My sprained ankle is STILL swollen and after my first proper walk yesterday I thought I can go to shopping and I was so very slow and tired so I came back.
And now I have very little meat for today and tomorrow. Not super low, I had lower days but it’s always a danger and yep, I went off when I was hungry (not in my insides, it’s just a miserable starving feeling without real hunger? odd thing but I NEEDED food) and couldn’t eat any carni food more. Just a tad but it’s disappointing I am totally unable to stick to carni for a day when I don’t have lots of meat.
Sigh.

I ate soft-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs with sausage, only 4 eggs and I needed the sausage for it, I am mostly bored of eggs now.
I ate a scotch egg, I need the other for tomorrow…
And had quark with sour cream and some savory quark-yolk microwave cake, some carni pancakes… But for the last pancakes I had to go off a bit, I just didn’t see another way. And I didn’t enjoy it, I just enjoy not starving now.

IDK why I am kinda perfectionist again, it’s still a great day for me, very low net carbs from non-animal food so I know I will feel well and carbs won’t mess me up. But it’s not ideal.

Well I already determined I need some roast to eat all the time but I don’t have that these days. Probably my sprained ankle and the delayed webshop order kept me from buying meat. And I have meat, per se (beef, turkey, fish) but not my pork I like to eat and nothing is ready to eat (except maybe canned tuna but I don’t want that at all).

Okay, it will change on Saturday. I will make sure to make steps when I grab my last slab of pork.

Maybe one day I will learn, who knows?

I blame the tiny packets in the village shop and the <2kg limit for pork thigh, the nice and cheap option with the price cap. And me but it’s not only on me… :upside_down_face: I have circumstances.