Alkaline Water - for real or “ hoax “?

electrolytes

(Troy) #1

What’s the deal?

Are there in major benefits to consume often or occasionally?
For me, I never thought about or got concerned
Sigh

I was in a nutrition store
They had bottled alkaline water at pH9+

Just curious, that’s all

Random chart here :rofl:

(Doug) #2

I think it’s one of those silly “magic pill” things - here playing on people’s unfounded fears of “acidic.”

Our blood pH is tightly controlled - and needs to be. The body will do what it has to to maintain this. The stomach is quite an acidic environment, with a normal pH of 1.5 to 3.5. Drinking “alkaline water” - unless it’s a natural thing with lots of good minerals in it - sounds nuts to me.

(Troy) #3

Thanks! @OldDoug
My initial thoughts as well
I Never looked in to it

(Doug) #4

The cost of it makes me think it’s mostly marketing - it’s water marked up by a huge amount. Perhaps there’s some application in very specific cases, as with acid reflux, but almost all such things just make me shake my head.

(Troy) #5

Just had my nightly ACV concoction :smile:
Love it!

read this quote
Probably just confirming, no major need to just buy alkaline water?
Or someone on here w “bunny” in their name
Can confirm🤣
A subtle shout out

“Vinegars, by definition, are pretty acidic . In fact, in the USA, you’re not allowed to label something as vinegar unless the acidity level is at least 4 percent. But unlike others, apple cider vinegar is the one with an alkalizing effect. Though acidic , ACV promotes an alkaline environment inside your body”

(Running from stupidity) #6

Yeah, I’m all in favour of trying to fight my body’s homeostasis in regards to its pH level. Expensively.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

Just put some baking soda in some tap water. Alkaline water. For free.

I saw a meme somewhere last week: “If you’re spending $5 a bottle on smart water, it’s not working.”

(Carolyn aka stokies) #9

Or 'you might not be so smart if spending $5 on a bottle of water…" hehehe. Imma a jerk, I know. I do like some of them taste-wise. So I can’t really say anything hahaha. Life WAter is a fave of mine… so, see? I’m not so smart myself!

(Brian) #10

This one always puzzled me. I’ve heard the same thing said about lemon juice.

I know someone has explained it to me before but I’ve still not been able to really make it make sense. The way it’s stated almost makes it sound like adding an acid to another acid makes a base. (??) And to me, that sounds a little like imaginative marketing.

(Running from stupidity) #11

DUDE! Such unwarranted cynicism!

:wink:

(Brian) #12

Who, me? LOL!! (Maybe it’s just the Homer Simpson in me shining through. DOH!!) :smiley:

(Bunny) #13

Dr. Berg has a few words to say about this:

Why You Should NOT Drink Alkaline Water

VIDEO ON PH:

1. Understanding acid, alkaline and the many myths on pH
  1. Is Being “ACID” Unhealthy?

Dr. Berg talks about alkaline water. The problem is, in nature water does come in an alkaline state because of the minerals. When you artificially make water alkaline, you split apart the water molecules with electricity to make it alkaline but without the minerals. Its the minerals that add the “x” factor in water, not just H2O. There are problems long term that can occur with drinking artificially made alkaline water - the neutralization of body acids (stomach, large intestines and urine). I have found that some people who drink alkaline water end up with a urine of a pH of 9, completely off the scale when it should be 5-6. This breads microbes. Making your entire body alkaline can create problems with electrolytes (affecting the heart), the muscles, and slow digestion, because you need a strong acid stomach.