Aldi's Has Eggs for .27c Per Dozen!

(Sophie) #1

At Chattanooga, Tn. not sure about other stores.

57 cents this week in Florida

(Ethan) #3

Wow…I pay $4.50 per dozen

(Lee Jones) #4

Wow that’s ridiculously cheap :sob:

I pay ÂŁ1.75 ($2.28) at Aldi in the UK for a Dozen large free range.

(Sophie) #5

I bought 2 dozen for .39c per on Tues. this week.

Wow!

(Cynthia) #7

Aldi’s in Collierville, TN (Memphis suburb) has had them for $0.27 for a while. I’ve been eating a lot of eggs lately!

I havent been to my aldi’s in quite awhile May have to get there again soon I am in NYS.
I dont trust any labels on cartons that say free range etc…I can get pastured eggs from a local source near my house where i can see the chickens running all over the property every visit. They are only $2 a dozen which is a great price for pastured eggs. But…I would like to start saving some money and especially to make hardboiled eggs. the super fresh local eggs dont peel easily.

(Susan) #9

I love Aldi – even when the eggs are at the higher regular price of $0.89 it’s cheaper than anywhere else!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #10

I pay $3.99 for a dozen “organic” eggs at Trader Joe’s and I worry that the price is too low for true free range. Elsewhere, truly organic free range eggs cost closer to $7 a dozen. (In New York, I should point out. I imagine the prices would be somewhat lower in lower-commercial-rent areas.)

I’m just saying this because I can’t even imagine how you’d have to treat animals to get prices much below $4 a dozen. Below a dollar I can’t even imagine.

Sorry to be a bummer; I know everyone here is trying their best! But these low prices scare the shit out of me.

(Keto in Katy) #11

No way I would buy eggs that cheap. I’ll skimp somewhere else in my budget so I can invest in good food.

(Brian) #12

I can get them for $1.50/dozen and I know how the chickens are raised (true free range), and I know what they eat (a real organic laying mash, plus what they find on pasture). I like that. I feel a little better about eating eggs when I know where they’re coming from and what the chickens are eating.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #13

That is amazing. How? Where?

My guess is it would be possible to find that kind of deal elsewhere, but tough here in NYC… but I would love to be wrong!

(Brian) #14

Hi Gabe,

For me, it’s just a local retired guy that sells a few eggs on the side. He mainly sells bee hives and equipment and some of his own honey. The eggs are just something he does on the side, mostly for him and his wife to have good eggs, but a few to sell.

It might be tough to find something like that in NYC. But hey, there might be sources there, too. I’ve heard of a few people there who will take their back yards and grow veggies and even have a few chickens or other small livestock, too. Probably depends on just where you are and how much you can get away with. I guess ya gots to do the best ya can with what ya gots to work with. :slight_smile:

(Marie Dantoni) #15

I think that even if you pay a lot for good quality eggs, it is still a value when you consider the nutrition per dollar. I try and get my eggs from people I know who keep chickens. This time of year they don’t lay many eggs so the price is up to about 6.50. As the days get longer the supply improves and so does the price. The nutrition profile is much better if the birds get to scratch around in the sun and eat bugs instead of feed. You can make a meal out of 2 or 3 eggs so the cost isn’t a very big issue. I do buy supermarket eggs when it is nust for baking though.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #16

Good points; I’ve actually found I eat a lot fewer eggs since I basically never eat breakfast. I bought two dozen eggs in October and I’ve still got 5 left. Mainly using them for things like latkes and fathead pizza now.

You make a very good point about them being cost-effective even at $6 or $7 a dozen; maybe I should look into some more dinner recipes that call for eggs.

aldi eggs are the best quality. the shells are always hard and the yolk is always an orangish color. I’ve purchased range free egg to see the difference, the yolks were tiny and bright yellow and i couldn’t crack an egg without the entire shell breaking into pieces. maybe it was a bad batch but it was enough for me to never make that mistake again. I usually get farm fresh eggs too from a family member, all sorts of colors and the yolks are similar to aldi.

the price of eggs recently went up to over a dollar at aldi! I couldn’t believe it, i wouldn’t buy any! lol i’m so spoiled with that under 50 cents a dozen price. 79 cents on a bad day.

aldi does have quality eggs though. the reason the price has been so low is the avian flu hit and all the chickens died, it’s back to normal. even organic should be super cheap but because they aren’t is because people are just paying for the label,

(Candy Lind) #18

If you have any predisposition to buy a pressure cooker, HB Eggs should be in all-caps on the “pros” side. Eggs peel in 2 seconds flat. Something about the pressure separates the shell from the membrane. You can have your super-fresh eggs and peel them, too. :wink:

(JGL) #19

There is an Aldi on 117th and 1st Ave in East Harlem! Their deals are amazing.

(Becky) #20

Saying hello, to fellow New Yorkers! Waving hi, from the Bronx!