Alcohol with starting a keto diet

alcohol

(Saleem) #1

I have been in and out of Keto for three years. I have helped some friends during my journey. A friend has recently asked me to help him out, i love to help him but i have some concerns:

Blood Works:
A- Fasting Blood Sugar :104 mg/Dl
B- HbA1C: 5.7%
C- Cholesterol : 169 mg/dl (Take medication to lower Cholesterol)
D- LDL: 109
E- Triglycerides: 190
F: HDL: 44.6

Body Composition:
Weight: 92.5 Kg
Body Fat: 30.3%

We have already started its day 5 and he is very compliant but the problem is that he is a restaurant/bar owner and drinks 5 times a week. He drinks vodka or Tequila (8 glasses).

I understand that alcohol is ketones and that the liver will priorities cleaning out the toxins (Alcohol) and then will go back to burning FFA but I am afraid that being in ketosis will harm him. any thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

He drinks 8 glasses of vodka or tequila 5 days a week? It’s going to be hard to fit that much liquor into any positive lifestyle change. Can he switch to say 1-2 glasses of red wine maybe 1-2 days per week? I can have a decent amount of liquor and still remain in ketosis but I don’t always feel the best as it messes with my electrolytes. It’s hard for me to imagine someone who is serious about regaining their health who is unwilling to cut back from 40 drinks per week.

(Saleem) #3

Thank you. Definately agree with you. Im hoping that once he sees the benefits of being healthy and loose some weight he would cut down on alcohol.

My question is will he be in a ketogenic state with all that alcohol.

In other words if i test his blood ketone will it turn out positive.

(Lauren) #4

His alcohol intake might very well make him struggle. A shot of tequila is roughly 100 calories, and offers zero fat. It would not give him any saiety, and might actually make him hungrier.

The simple answer is maybe. But if he’s anything like me he’ll struggle if he drinks anywhere that much. Remember it’s not the presence of ketones that is important but rather why the ketones are present that matters. Drinking that much and worrying about ketones is like mopping the floor while the tub overflows.

(Anne) #6

When I first started Keto I still drank my wine, not to the level of this guy, but quite regularly. I was still in ketosis, however I didn’t hardly lose anything. The alcohol stalled my weight loss because your body is busy taking care of the alcohol rather than burning the fat. I decided to just give it up until I reach a goal…and it’s the key for me. So Yes you can be in ketosis whilst drinking…but will you lose? Probably not. It’s different for everyone, but I do think this guy needs to curb his drinks and give keto a chance to work.

It’s hard liquor so won’t affect ketosis but for someone drinking that much in ketosis there is a measurable risk of ketoacidosis that shouldn’t be ignored.

(Khara) #8

Can you elaborate on this? Why a measurable risk for ketoacidosis in a non type 1 diabetic when ketosis and high alcohol consumption are involved?

(Saleem) #9

i Would disagree with Turbeville as he is not Type 1 Diabetic his ketone levels SHOULD not exceed (5) to cause Ketoacidosis. I suspects that his transition to burn fat (Become keto adapted) will be very slow as his liver will keep removing the Alcohol (or use the alcohol energy ) instead of using Free Fatty Acid /Ketones as the main source of energy.

My concern would be his Lipids (HDL,LDL,TRI and Cholestrol). again cause he is not Using Fat as energy but is eating a high Fat diet.

I also think that Fatty Liver is a concern.

I will try to get him to implement IF (longer that 16-8) to try and force his body to use FFA.

Oxaloacetate is depleted in ketosis, it’s involved among other things in stimulating ketone production but some exists even in ketosis and is used to produce the small amount of glucose needed. Alcohol metabolism uses oxaloacetate and also inhibits gluconeogenesis. Alcohol metabolism takes priority, deplete oxaloacetate with no carbs and you can end up hypoglycemic with elevated ketones. It’s alcoholic ketoacidosis, the risk of which is increased in low carb eaters/fasters when you drink to excess.

You can disagree, I’ve seen it plenty in clinical practice. It’s alcoholic ketoacidosis which occurs usually in people who drink to excess and don’t eat, particularly don’t eat carbs. Eating anything can lower the risk so I would not be recommending fasting to someone who drinks to excess.

(Saleem) #12

Thank you very much for the valuable information. Much appreciated. Please bare with me for a minute (indulge my ignorance).

If ketones reach high concentrations in the bloodstream (approximately 4-6 mmol), dont they stimulate a release of insulin. Therefore decreasing the breakdown of FFA and in return stop the production of ketones in the liver. And the excess ketones are excreted in urine?

Thank you