Alcohol in Extracts

Can the alcohol in extracts, like vanilla extract and peppermint, bring someone out of ketosis? I am just wondering, because most things I put extract in, I freeze (like unsweetened keto treats), so it’s not being prepared in a way that the alcohol would cook/bake off.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Ethanol does not ‘bring you out of ketosis’. What it does is distracts the liver from utilizing anything else until the ethanol is metabolized completely. Then the liver goes back to whatever it was doing before. In your case, metabolizing mostly fat/ketones. How long it takes depends how much extract you use. Most extracts are in the neighbourhood of 40% ethanol.

Some people will tell you the liver goes after ethanol because it’s toxic and the liver ‘wants’ to get rid of it as fast as possible. No. It’s just a simpler chemical process than anything else and the liver takes the path of least resistance and energy load.

Good to know! I only use 1-2 small drops, which would be broken up into 8-10 servings, probably not enough to cause any issues now that I think about it in those terms. Maybe food safe essential oils would avoid the matter altogether though (unless of course they are also in an alcohol solution).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

That quantity of alcohol is nothing Grace. You’d probably get that much sniffing someone else’s drink. :tumbler_glass: :cowboy_hat_face:

Lol, I appreciate it, I just don’t want to be that person complaining about the rate of weight loss if I am doing something silly that seems like no big deal…to find out later it was messing with progress :grin: