Alcohol do's and don't's OR is it just don't?

newbies

(Reggie) #1

Hello all-

I have been on this lifestyle for 2 1/2 weeks and from all of the reading I have done, it looks like I am on track. That being said, I was wondering about alcohol. I am 47 this year and have been faaaaaaaaaar removed from my 20something (and 30sometning for that matter) days of drinking for many years now. The club scene is way done for me and I rarely drink at all- once a month (if that)-

BUT…

Superbowl is approaching and I know there will be tasty elixirs being served at the party I am planning to attend. I have read a few posts here about alcohol and also read that beer is an absolute no no-

What about hard liquor? Would 4-6 glasses of vodka or whisky hurt?
Wine? I did hear a dry wine is best-

Thank you all and cheers!

Go Chiefs!! Oh yah- the off-sides penalty- grrrrrrr!!! Might be 6-8 glasses then- :wink:

Aloha!!

(Robert C) #2

You might want to assume it will turn into a full cheat day.
Your inhibitions will be gone (even worse than usual due to keto) and you will probably try everything in sight (or smell).
Go in with both eyes open while playing with fire!

(Lonnie Hedley) #3

4-6 glasses of alcohol would hurt me for a week.

Just make sure you have a DD, because this amount of booze will likely get you CRAZY intoxicated being low carb.

(John) #4

Yes, you can drink. Best to limit quantities. Straight spirits (i.e. not mixed in carby or sugary mixers) are best, dry wines are OK. Best to avoid beer (liquid bread).

At this early stage, you may find you get a stronger hangover than you are used to.

Some worthwhile info here:

Especially - scroll down to the “Q & A” section for some warnings.

(Carl Keller) #5

Vodka and whiskey are both carbless so while your liver may prioritize removing it asap and briefly halt your ketogenic journey, it’s not the end of the road… so why not live a little?

I won’t bother with alcohol on SBS and I’m not even tempted any more. It’s a good thing too because in the past, the higher my blood alcohol level, the higher my temptation to explore poor choices.

Yeah the longer you’re Keto, the less alcohol it takes to get you completely [spoiler]shitfaced[/spoiler]. So be mindful of that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

I still drink red wine but so less often now on keto. I do want to snack and make sure I have keto friendly snacks: green olives, pork rinds, dukes smoked sausages, cheese, dry rubbed wings.

Edit: Ans I never drink and drive. Ever!

If you are doing keto for weight loss no problem but if you are doing keto for metabolic challenges or health issues then avoid alcohol cause those carbs in it are not giving much extra benefit and you can use your 20Gms a day of carbs way better.

That said, have a good time! :slight_smile:
Sorry to be a grinch.

Beer is the only keto cheat I allow myself, but one that I find myself indulging in less and less as time goes on. Some of the cheaper American beers are actually pretty low in carbs – you can google and have a look – but personally I don’t think they’re worth cheating for. There are, however, a few decent beers low in carbs. Guinness Draught (not Extra Stout) is only 10 carbs, and the nitrous oxide bubbles will leave you a lot less bloated than carbonated beers. Omission Ultimate Light is gluten-free and only 5 carbs.

Depending on how good your local liquor store is, you can always research a low-carb beer, pick up a six-pack and bring it to the party. Either that or just stick to the hard stuff.

Also, since people bring it up, there’s no excuse for drunk driving now that there’s Uber and Lyft. Or even better, walk home afterward to burn off the carbs!

Well, I drink about once about every three months at most. Don’t care for the taste of alcohol or my gut reaction. But tonight was the night I had a couple of drinks after breaking a 5-day strict fast. And I did it in probably the worst way with a pair of sweet drinks – a frozen strawberry daiquiri and then a frozen margarita. Probably 100+ carbs. But pretty damn good. Still don’t know how people can do that on a regular basis.

And I am both a bit tipsy and bloated. Dont handle alcohol well. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed them and now will pay the expected price – probably out of ketosis and will a take a few days to recoup my 5-day fast benefits.

Now my bloating could be coming from the stuffed baked potato and lemonade pie afterward.

I probably ingested a total of 16 carbs during my 5-day fast. Tonight I probably put away a week’s worth in one hour.

No matter how much we keto and fast our inherent weaknesses still surface from one time to another. We just have to know how to deal with it and Keto on and not give up.

(Reggie) #11

I did hear that on this lifestyle getting to the happy place takes fewer drinks to get to. Thank you for the heads up- also a DD is arranged. :smile:

Great info everyone. Thank you all- keep the journey going.

Aloha!!!

(John) #12

I experience the opposite. It’s somewhat paradoxical since I drink much less often than I did before. Two drinks (my limit) and I really get very little buzz at all. Which is good, in a way - no immediate positive reinforcement means it’s easier to just not drink.

Though I still enjoy a glass or two of red wine with dinner occasionally. It now tastes better for some reason.

(Doug) #13

(Karen Thompson) #14

My drink of choice these days is vodka, diet sprite, with a squeeze of lime