Advice required

conversationstarters
keto

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

@Inna Something simple you can add to your diet to (1) increase caloric consumption; (2) increase satiety; and, (3) start to boost your metablism: cacao/cocoa butter. Different names for the same thing. You can purchase cacao butter in most health food stores. Be sure it’s butter not powder! We’ve discussed stearic acid, C18 sat fat on the forum in several topics. You can search for ‘cacao butter’ or ‘stearic acid’ if you’re interested in more details. Cacao butter tastes good, like mild chocolate. It’s a solid so you can even chew it if you want to, but it mixes well with lots of other foods. You could try eating some with those black coffees and teas you like to drink. Hope this helps.

(Inna Sterbet) #42

Oh, I read the posts about cocoa butter, I definitely give it a try. I live in Ireland, and trust me it’s impossible to get here anything when it comes to low carb. Most of the stuff I order from the US which takes ages and extra money to deliver.

Sounds like you’re starving yourself. Very little to run on. Are you even hungry? I’m thinking no?

Don’t be afraid of protein.

(Inna Sterbet) #45

If the only dreams I have are about me eating different foods, I think I’m hungry :joy: I actually feel quite pathetic when my kids ask me about my dreams and aspirations, the only response I have is FOOD.

You live in the country that makes the best grass fed butter in the world. I pay premium money to stock my fridge with Irish butter and use it all the time. I put some on steak, cook omelets in it, make bulletproof coffee or tea with it, etc. What about using that?

(Inna Sterbet) #47

I’m on Keto for two and a half years now, there is only certain amount of grass fed beef and butter you can eat, looking for some variety tbh.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

“Satiety” does not mean “as much as I can possibly cram down my gullet,” but rather “I’ve had enough and definitely don’t want any more.” I used to eat around half a pound of pasta, filling my stomach to the point of rupture, and still want more. On keto, I estimate I stop being hungry when my stomach is about half full. Plenty of room for more, but no desire for more.

Protein metabolism is inherently less efficient than glucose or fatty-acid metabolism, so the body avoids it under normal circumstances. (Late-stage starvation being one of the exceptions.)

Dr. Phinney claims that too much protein inhibits ketosis, but Prof. Bikman says that under low-carb conditions this is not true, because the rise in insulin from eating extra protein is matched by a rise in glucagon, such that the insulin/glucagon ratio remains unchanged (under high-carb conditions, the more protein we eat, the more insulin we secrete, with no compensatory glucagon secretion). I believe we still have more to learn on this issue. What does appear to be true at this point is that excessive gluconeogenesis is not the problem it was once thought to be.

ETA: It used to be thought a good idea to eat no more than the minimum amount of protein necessary for nitrogen replacement, because of concerns that activating mTOR shortened the lifespan, but our view of mTOR is now more nuanced, and this is less of a concern to most experts.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

Bacon, roast pork, duck, and goose are all delicious and have a good ratio of fat to protein.