Advice please: 5-day fast, testing BG schedule

I am planning to start a 5-day fast Sunday night after dinner, ending Friday at dinner time. I’ve never fasted more than 2 full days and I’ve never personally tested my BG. I think I’m testing for my own peace of mind while I fast.

My blood glucose monitor will arrive on Sunday and want to test ahead of and throughout my fast but I have no clue as to when I should do so each day. Are there recommended times for doing so? How much testing is too much?

My guess would be:

• Before my feast at dinner on Sunday

• Right after dinner (immediately, 30 mins, 60 mins?)

• Right before bedtime

• Upon waking up each day while fasting

• Once or twice during each fasting day

• Before bedtime each fasting day

• Right before I break my fast

• Right after I eat my first meal

I’m kind of a data geek, too, so part of me feels compelled to collect a lot of data to find correlations between how I feel, liquid and salt intake, and BG levels.

Fasting veterans who test BG: I’d love your advice on this.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

That sounds good to me.
I usually test right before my meal, and then every 4-6 hours. Those times include before bed and when I wake, with one or two in between.

You might also want to keep a closer eye on things the lower your glucose goes. I have noticed that mine trends to get to the 60s around 36-48 hours, and then drops from there. After 48hrs it can stop into the low 50s or even 40s.

[KetoCancerMom's Fasting Log](http://See my fasting log)

You’ll find a pattern that works for you. Don’t forget to end the fast if you feel especially bad. Low glucose is OK if you have ketones to make up for it.

If you want you could either start your own fasting log (I recommend this for ease of tracking) or post in the October fast thread. Or both :grinning:

You could even use this thread, if you wanted.

Good luck on your fast!

@KetoCancerMom Thank you for the info! I’ll definitely stop if I feel bad, and will listen to my body and use my head. Since my meter is new, and I’m slightly worried about how my body will react during my first “long” fast, I may end up testing more than I probably need to.

I’m going to create a thread for my fast. If nothing else, it’ll distract me from a rumbly tummy and maybe be of interest to other noobs.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

You’re welcome!

I like having a thread because I can look back and see how my various fasts compare.

It’s also a good idea to get a few “non-fasting” readings, just to know what your normal is. :slightly_smiling_face: