Advice on running&working out on Keto

Hi guys. I’ve just come to the Keto/LCHF way lately and absolutely love it - enhanced energy, no mid afternoon slumps, mental clarity and have also dropped a few kg.
My problem is with running and working out - mostly running. Last year I was pretty fit, running a 1/2 marathon in 1hr 36 and very active and then had problems with plantar fasciitis since August.
I’m just starting to get back into running the past 2 weeks (have kept fit through cycling, HIIT, weights etc though) and feel like I just don’t have energy in my legs when eating this way.
Prior to Keto I’d have a banana and espresso before a run and have loads of energy. On Keto I’ve tried just an espresso with cream, running fasted (no food since dinner night before), having a drink with Keto performance powder (BHB) and still can’t get that feeling of strength in my legs I used to have.
I manage working out with weights etc although also feel a lot weaker than I used to.
Is this something that will likely fade after I’ve been eating the Keto way a lot longer?
Or does anyone have any advice on what to eat/not to eat to enhance performance? I’ve read other threads but more directed toward longer distance running, which I understand is more suited to the Keto diet.
I want to get back into running more now and enter a 10km in a few months as a goal so really want to be able to push myself.
Any advice much appreciated!

(Omar) #2

I am exactly like you describing.

most of the time I feel my energy reserve is not sufficient to last me 3 kilos fast walk.

but fewer times I feel energy rush that I can run long distance.

I could not coorelate this energy rush to anything yet.

It’s an odd feeling as in my head and body I feel really energised and awake, keen to go hard but when I start running my legs are just weak. I have always been a fast runner and am not happy to just ‘jog’ so need that energy to push myself!

(Omar) #4

yes it is strange. The motivation to walk or run is there. but the energy reserve is not sufficient.

before keto , the motivation is not there( I mean it is harder to convince my self to do a walk ) but once I move my ass the energy is there.

however my endurance to work in the office is much bette after keto. I can work more hours without feeling tired. my brain is clearer And I feel smarter . my blood pressure is lower. I lost 6 kilos but my pant size went down more tban it reflects on the scale.

the main thing is I stopped taking my type 2 diabities medicine.

depression and anxiouty went on the scale from 100% to 30% or less.

so no doubt that I want to hold into the keto.

we just have to watch and experement with food to figure out how to fix the issue of not being able to have high output of energy ovrr short time.

as I said outputing low rate of energy over long time ( endurance) is no problem for me and I have considrable improvment after keto as endurance was an issue with glutin and no lchf diet.

(Chris W) #5

Since it appears you are both new with in the last month you probably not yet to fat adaption yet. It sounds like you are both keto adapted very well based on the NSV’s you are having. Loss of energy during the time between starting this WOE and full fat adpation is pretty normal.
I am more of a cyclist(mountain biking mainly) and I was not able to even train for about 2 months before starting this WOE at all due to a knee injury. I could normally train at or around 45 minutes on my exercise cycle at medium level of resistance pre keto and be ok. After I restarted about 2 or 3 weeks into keto I could only go ten minutes on medium and then I would hit a wall. Later after fat adaption started I accidentally left my bike on the highest setting because I was trying to do a HIT or something the day before for a couple minutes, When I hoped on I never paid attention, I was just starting to listen to the dudes podcasts at this point and listened to one whole podcast, 50 minutes later I was keeping pace on the highest setting and had more to give, I was at a able sprint per say but I had really good steady state level. I also do some weight training and that has seen little effect, one thing I would encourage though is to looking into working on your level 2 muscles more, this will help with a sprint if you need it more. I am not a runner but my understanding is that you are primarly focusing on level 1 muscles instead.

Listen to the keto cycling pod cast with ianrob from the dudes it is around #80.

Keep going no matter what and you’ll soon find that your “feeling of strength” in your legs increases. Takes more than 2 weeks to rebuild those muscles.

I have been training for my 2nd 10k (I know, nothing like your half marathon!), and I found some help by drinking water with added potassium chloride, sodium chloride, and magnesium citrate an hour before running…in addition to a serving or two of peanut butter…approximately an hour before running. It has made a difference in the way I physically feel during the run. I also take 100mg of caffeine from guarana. Maybe take some low carb no sugar whey afterwards while your muscles recover. Lots of things you can experiment with to see what helps your body during such a huge transition.

(Brandy Fischbach) #7

Not sure of the exact amount of time, but I have seen several people say that it takes a while before your endurance comes back (over a month).

I have been Keto for 5-1/2 years. I am two days out from finishing the 800 km Camino Frances. I have been eating all the calories I can get in Spain including potatoes, tortillas, chips and Santiago Tarte. I started Keto, but I got too thin so started eating everything, Keto or not. Quite simply I got worried about my ribs showing so started eating more than my body was asking for. I have just finished a huge meal in preparation for Stage 32 tomorrow.
I plan to go back to Keto when finished.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I have been walking 20-25 km every day with 8 kg on my back for 35 days

(Omar) #9

thanks chris

Ah thanks - peanut butter was gonna be my nxt try… thinking a TB or 2 of that with the BHB drink 35-40 mins before might help.
Good to know it should improve though! :blush:

Thanks Chris, good to know there’s hope! Will keep pushing through and wait for the burst :blush:

Definitely! If 2 tbs doesn’t help much, maybe try 3. :grinning: Oh, and CHIA SEEDS. Try that.

(Holly) #13

Check this podcast episode out.
https://blog.bulletproof.com/102-extreme-endurance-training-and-ketosis-with-ben-greenfield-podcast/

I’m a runner and 3 months into this woe. In my experience, it just takes time. I am just now starting to feel great again during my runs as I think I am finally fat adapted. My heart rate is usually low and I recover quickly due to my years of running and during this adaption phase it was quite the opposite. I even went in for an ekg just to make sure everything was ok. I am now seeing my heart rate return to my normal. I varied my runs during the adaption phase. Some I would push through and others I would walk when I needed to. I did experiment with pink salt in water prior to runs and felt that did help a bit. Usually I work out/run after coffee but I don’t use anything fancy in it. Good luck. It does get better☺️