Advice on fibre and getting my 5 a day please

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

One possible cause of constipation is lack of sodium. A healthy amount to get is 4-6 grams/day, which translates to 10-15 g/day of table salt (sodium chloride). This includes salt already present in your food, btw.

I find that these days, whenever I get constipated, it’s because I didn’t get enough salt the day before. The amount of fiber I eat is minimal.

1. There’s no fiber quota, as others have said. Try some magnesium. Also make sure you’re getting lots of fat.
  2. There’s no reason you can’t eat lots of veggies and there’s no reason you can’t eat 30g carbs/day, especially if you’re meeting your goals. 20g is a guideline that assumes everyone will be in ketosis at that point. Most people are in ketosis under 50g, so don’t worry about it. It’s not a rigid rule.
  3. Calories matter at some point, but people’s metabolic rates vary so much it’s impossible for anyone to know whether that number is too much or too little for you. Are you losing weight? Then you’re doing fine. Are you not losing weight? Then you might need to limit them some. But don’t just restrict calories for very long or you’ll mess up your metabolism. Consider TRE or IF to control calories in a more effective way, if you need it.
  4. I don’t measure like this, so no clue.
  5. Also: ribeyes, ground beef, bacon, sausages, and other fatty meat.

(Kristina) #25

I always found that fiber caused me more problems then it ever helped. Magnesium is what works for me

(Consensus is Politics) #26

I concur. Without any actual evidence that the fiber is doing anything, I would look at what a lot of veggies often bring with them. Magnesium.

And to go with magnesium, sodium. Both take care of muscle cramps (electrolytes) as well as the bowels.

This is an interesting thread! As someone who has struggled with constipation for years, I confess I’m having trouble finding balance right now after 6 weeks on the diet. Are people saying that eventually I will not need to track fiber so closely and I will have normal BMs without it? How long does that take? If I’m much under 18 grams daily, I have almost no bulk. Also taking probiotics which seems to help. Cheese has always been constipating for me but I like it more than meat so I kind of rely on it for macros almost daily. Thanks for any insight!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #28

Everyone is different, but I eat very little fiber and am as regular as rain… I also eat a lot of cheese.

Six weeks is not much time for your body to change from a lifetime of maybe not eating so well.

(Kristen Ann) #29

I agree that everyone is different. I can say that the less vegetables and fiber I eat, the more regular I am.