Advice needed re Vitamin D testing

I am considering getting tested for vitamin D levels.

Can anyone help me with deciding whether to go for the vitamin D test or the D3 test.

Both are available where I live. I will be paying out of pocket so cannot afford to do both, but the D3 is slightly more expensive which isnt an issue if it’s a more useful test.

The background is I live in a very sunny climate but have very fair skin and have avoided sun exposure with an almost pathological fear for many many years. I have just been given the ok by my doctor to stop blood pressure meds, and am aware that blood pressure and vitamin D have studies linking them. I am keen to get a baseline of my levels so I can gradually expose my skin to give it some narural protection and maximize my vitamin D levels.

So what’s thw best test? Should I go for a vitamin D or a D3? Many thanks for any insights!

(Tom) #2

I’ll have to refer to my notes, but I believe the most commonly used test is a 25-OH vitamin D level, aka calcifediol. It’s not the active form of vitamin D (which if I recall, is calcitriol), but it’s got the most data behind it and it’s the test most commonly used when looking at things like rates of cancer and all-cause mortality. Unless you have some weird enzymatic issue that necessitated a calcitriol level, the 25-OH vitamin D should suffice.

(Jo Lo) #3

Yes, Ted Naiman prescribed the Vitamin D 25-OH, Total test for me.

@trekkin1 Ted Naiman as your doc? Lucky you! :heart_eyes:
Thanks for your reply that is the test I’ll go for!

Thanks very much for your response. I’ll go for that one then. Will be interesting to see where I’m at. I watched an Ivor Cummins video on YouTube and it was super interesting but got very technical and it left me with a few questions! Cheers