Advice for Women in their 40's

(Nicole Sawchuk) #1

I am looking for a little inspiration and a reality check by reaching out to other women in their 40’s or older. I have stalled since January. Easily understandable as I am at a healthy weight for my height etc. But I have come to realize that I want to lose those final 10 pounds or more specifically those last few inches off my waist. I want to hit that final goal! But despite tweaking around with my diet, giving up more and more things, playing around with various fasting protocols and adding strength training (granted only a couple times a week), I have not been able to bust through this plateau.

So women in their 40’s; who have had children; who work full time (i.e. don’t have time to spend an hour in the gym 4 times a week), were you able to lose that last little bit? How did you do it? Is it even worth it?

(Allie) #2

I’m not focusing on weight at all as my goal is mainly muscle growth now, I hit my old goal weight ages ago and still had bits that wobble that I wanted to lose so I just changed my goal. I don’t think there’s any benefit in aiming at a specific number on the scale and in many cases doing so causes more harm than good as people will do stupid things to try and reach it. Just focus on health and getting your body as strong and healthy as possible.

I’ve just had to make peace with the fact that despite being the same or similar weight I was in high school my figure/shape is a different kettle of middle-aged woman. I’m pretty strong, pretty fit & pretty healthy for my age & I’m stronger, fitter & healthier than many younger - so yay me :stuck_out_tongue: Like @Shortstuff I’m concentrating on building muscle & if it improves my figure then so be it but if not I’ll at least be able to hold my own in a bar fight :smile:

If you really want to lose weight, fasting will almost certainly do it. No one can tell you how long, it depends on your body. Over the course of a year, I fasted my way from a BMI of 36 to 23. The last pounds came off just as easily as the first, albeit a bit slower.

I’ll make the case that body recomposition, increasing muscle tone will have a greater impact on your aesthetics than losing the last 10 lbs. There is no substitute for resistance training. You’ll increase vitality- look better, feel better, be stronger, and help starve off osteopenia and sarcopenia.

You don’t have to go to the gym or workout for an hour. Google kettlebell exercises. It takes minimal equipment and is efficient and effective.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #5

Thanks everyone. Like I had stated earlier, its not really the weight number I care, but those last few pesky inches around the waist. I have fasted a lot and changed up my fasting regime so much in the last year and honestly has had no effect.

I was just curious if there were any success stories but in the end, I recognize that I am stronger and healthier than before. So it is not something I am obsessing about or devastated about. Its just everyone I had read who are successful, workout ALOT! And I just cannot commit that time.

But like @4dml stated, I have a sweet collection of kettlebells at home, TRX and pull up bar so I am able to get in very short sessions throughout the week.