Advice for a cappuccino lover?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #1

One of the biggest things keeping my carb counts up is coffee. I’ve gone off coffee completely before; I’ve gone to straight Americanos; but nothing beats a milk-based espresso drink like cappuccino. Unfortunately, even a short single shot cap with minimal half and half milk has a lot of carbs (for me.)

I know a lot of you put heavy cream in your drip/instant coffee. And that sounds nice. But you can’t froth heavy cream to make a cap or a latte.

Anyone got any solutions for this? I’d like to incorporate a cappuccino into my daily routine, because remember: this is a lifestyle, and I love these drinks. I’d LOVE your thoughts!

(Trudy) #2

I am interested in the responses to this also. I’ve been having my black coffee since going Keto in March, no cappuccino’sfor me, too many carbs.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Ahhh, beloved coffee. I have tried many adaptions during Keto.
Instant Coffee with Sweetener and Milk
Espresso with Almond Milk
Instant Coffee with a dash of cream
Bulletproof coffee

I have finally evolved to having a shot of espresso with a dash of cream, because it mimics the texture.

(Luc) #4

Almond milk does froth well. Not as much as regular milk, but it works for a cappuccino or a latte. The taste is creamier but less sweet and it might take some time to get used to.

I love a good flat white but even were it not so carby there is something about milk that just doesn’t agree with me. My compromise is to enjoy one occasionally & only after a strenuous workout such as a mountain bike ride. It also has to be the best quality & made by a well trained barista - not because I’m a wanker but because it wouldn’t be worth the ‘damage’ for a second-rate cup of coffee.

No help for you daily I suppose but maybe something to ponder?

(Terence Dean) #6

I could never drink coffee without sugar (or honey), but the strange thing is I can drink tea without sugar.

I went cold turkey and dropped the coffee for tea problem solved.

An alternative for a cappuccino is my keto take on a Vienna coffee, I dare say I actually prefer it.

My Method.

Scoop two tablespoons of ground coffee into a french press, add boiling water for one cup of coffee and let stand.

Measure 2-3 tablespoons of pure cream (heavy cream) into a mug, whisk the cream until it is thick using a miracle whisk.

Pour coffee into the mug, the cream will rise to the top.

Just a quick stir after the first sip. The temperature is usually perfect for drinking.

I did the exact opposite, I gave up tea for coffee because I hate coffee with sweeteners, but can’t stand tea without sugar. We are a match made in sugar hell.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Have the cappuccino and see how it affects you. Maybe your carb limit can accommodate it.

I’m sure you’ve already had BPC but I find blending the butter into my coffee with a bit of heavy cream mimics a latte, there is even a frothy foam on top. Not quite like a cappuccino though, more like a latte.
I second the almond milk. I actually prefer the taste of it in a latte or cappuccino and used to order it before going keto.

My recomendation would have been half n half, but see that’s too much for you, if you have Kroger near you maybe their carb master milk OR maybe make your own half n half with maybe a HC/almond or coconut blend. The HC should be enough to maintain a milk flavor with only adding enough of the almond/coconut to thin it to where it froths better. For what its worth, my crap manual hand frother that came withy ninja coffee bar has no issues frothing warm HC, probably different when its steam doing it though.

(Ethan) #12

You actually can froth heavy cream a little bit and if you add some collagen peptides, it sometimes works better. It won’t froth as much, but it is a bit.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

You could also just whip the heavy cream, which is a stable, neutral foam made with it. Consider it a espresso ala Habsburg.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #14

You guys are talking about whipping just with a stick mixer with whisk attachment?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #15

I usually use the Atomic coffee maker to make my coffee (no idea how to use a French press, though maybe I could buy one and use it at the office?) But presumably either way will work.

When you say “whisk the cream,” do you use a stick mixer or do it by hand? Do you ever warm up the cream first?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

I have a siphon. I don’t make coffee at home, except for the occasional cold brew.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #17

Will one of those Nespresso milk foamers/warmers do the same thing for cream? Or do you really need to whip it?

The atomic coffee maker looks amazing, and I am sure it is probably better than a french press, I only added my method for clarity and transparency.

The miracle whisk is manual but of course you can use any device, the aim is to get the cream whipped up. I enjoy doing it manually but might try using a bullet blender my mother gave me last week.

Nonetheless, I hope you try to make a vienna coffee, I think you will enjoy it, maybe not as much as a frothy cappuccino but it might come a close second.

ETA I haven’t warmed up the cream, I was under the impression that hot cream won’t thicken but I may be wrong about that. I will try it and let you know.

I am in my 4th week, and have given up my daily lattes/mochas for plain coffee (or plain cold brew) and just adding cream & a bit of stevia to it. I don’t miss it right now, but that might change when the weather turns cold. Although I am drinking a lot less coffee since starting keto; maybe it’s because there’s no sugar in the coffee now?
And I agree w/ @luela that you can froth almond milk, but it does have a different taste.

(Jo) #20

You can actually get a cappuccino with HC at starbucks. Because it doesn’t foam all that well it turns out more like a latte, but I like it. I also make it at home, 2 shots of espresso and 4 oz of HWC that I steam with the wand. It’s a little tricky but it can be done and I do get some foam/froth.