Advice for 2018 newbies with a lot to lose - keep it simple

simpleketo
omad
intermittentfasting
zerocarb
gluconeogenesis

(A Tabitha Ann Swanks) #103

My advice is

1. This forum is (imo) the best thing a keto person can have.
  2. Pinterest is the second best. There is a keto recipe for everything.
  3. Get you some baking supplies (almond flour, coconut flour, HWC, etc…) They will make sticking with it so much easier.
  4. Water flavoring was a life saver. Just make sure to read the ingredients.

When it comes to exercise, mobility drills > everything else.

Your core is likely weak and if you start lifting, you will do so without properly bracing yourself. Also, you will most likely lack the flexibility to deep squat or perform certain movements properly.

I’d consider getting a personal trainer and learning the right way to perform these movements, and strengthening your core. Start with resistance bands, light weighted cable lifts to perfect form, light kettlebells, TRX straps and bodyweight exercises.

For a guy, this can be difficult as you generally start off with what are deemed ‘lesser’ exercises by many, but the truth is that you have to start somewhere, and they will tax you a lot if you’re untrained, plus this is about getting better and stronger, and not ego.

Also, since having a personal trainer myself, I’ve noticed the vast majority of people are training wrong and setting themselves up for injury, or not getting the full benefit.

Sure, a partial squat is going to be better than doing nothing at all, but it’s not going to be better than a deep squat with a properly braced core, explosive movement coming up with the right breathing technique.

Just as with diet, it’s not going to happen overnight. It’s a slow and steady process that requires discipline and perseverance.

Start with mobility drills and incorporate them into your daily routine. If you’re untrained, like I was, you’re going to have tight muscles. Working with tight muscles is a recipe for myofascial injuries. The best thing to do is get assessed by a personal trainer with physiotherapy experience. They will check for things like Anterior Pelvic Tilt, and identify key stretches and exercises to help you with mobility, and improve your overall posture. Also, if you’re sat at a desk at work, consider standing time to time, and also self correct your posture.

Excellent advice!

(Sandy ) #107

Thank you for this. Im beginning today and new to the forum. I look forward to gaining insight and support and hopefully return the same. Happy New Year 2019 :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #108

I’m a little confused when I thought I was “getting it.” You mention about keeping protein high but carbs and fat low? I’m a newbie but I have been diligent about keeping my carbs low (usually under 10) but meeting or exceeding my fat. Is this correct, or should I not be meeting my fat macro if I don’t have to?? I am a 60 year old woman. I want to get healthy, but I also want to lose weight (I have 80 lbs. to lose). I am so afraid the weight is going to come off at a snail’s pace. I know keto is a lifestyle, but I would like to lose the weight sooner than later. So many people, women included, are posting great results with weight loss.

(Marianne) #109

Wow, I am learning not to mind water (although I have to force myself to get all my water in) and it is the only thing I drink (besides coffee in the morning). I think I drink fairly a lot - maybe 64 oz. - how do you get 100 oz. in!?

(Marianne) #110

I can relate. Finding the same thing - fat macro is easier to reach than protein, and not having any trouble keeping carbs below 10.