ACV & Magnesium Citrate

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check something regarding ACV and that Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate powder (unflavoured)

• Do either break a fast
  • Is there any recommended time of the day to use them on OMAD (e.g morning/night, before/after a meal etc)

Thanks.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Does Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate powder have inactive ingredients that are either fat, protein or carbs. If yes then it might slightly break a fast. I use Mg water (I make it myself) and it does not and will not break a fast. I also take a Mg Oxide pill and it does not either.

ACV - opinions vary. Acetic Acid is an organic compound (Carbon containing Molecule) that does break down during digestion. I avoid it during fasting. Others not so. If you are looking for weight loss then it should not be a problem. When I fast I go for autophagy as well as weight loss and I avoid videgar. Coffee, water, green tea for me.

Some people will same the same about coffee that I say about vinegar. Some studies suggest that coffee stimulates autophagy.

You have to decide for yourself.

Thanks Eric,

Below is the ingredient/nutritional information on the magnesium citrate. I don’t think there are any other ingredients, or at least I hope not. It’s getting harder to tell these days

If so, then perhaps I might use this at night before bed as I am using it just to ensure I have enough magnesium as I am removing my daily cacao drink from my diet to reduce risk of kidney stones.

Regarding the ACV, I have read conflicting information as well regarding whether or not it breaks a fast. My sole purpose of using it is to increase (or stimulate production of) my stomach acids to aid digestion. I would have it 30 minutes or so before my meal to achieve this. I drink coffee and black tea ocassionally as well during fasting and have had good result (weight loss wise) so perhaps the ACV would also be ok.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

That close to breaking fast just call it an early break.

Yeah, that’s my line of thinking as well. I have an hour to fit in my one meal a day so still possible to fit in the ACV 30 minutes before my meal. I’ll have to wait and see though as to the claim that it aids better digestion.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #6

Acv helps me. I used to take Omeprazole, but nearly never now that I add acv to my water.

('Jackie P') #7

The point of taking ACV as I understand it is to slow the absorbtion of carbohydrates, so if you are fasting there is little or no benefit.
There are no calories or nutritional content in magnesium except for magnesium! So I guess not.

Thanks everyone

Jackie: I was actually trying the ACV to see if it will help my overall digestion of my OMAD meals. I eat around 75g protein at moment and somehow felt a bit “stuffed” after. I read/heard somewhere (I think it was either Fung or Berry) that ACV taken around 20 minutes before a meal helps protein digestion. Started using the ACV today and also stopped drinking fluids during my meal, seems to have made a difference.

('Jackie P') #9

Ahh yes that would help. Sorry I was answering the fasting bit!
I took ACV religiously for ages, I hated it so much I have stopped. I honestly don’t know if it’s made a difference or not!

The taste definitely will take getting used to :grin:. I am also hoping it won’t be too damaging to my teeth enamel (might buy some straws next week)

(Bunny) #11

ACV is going to increase your ketones when fasting.

ACV preferably before you eat!

('Jackie P') #12

That’s interesting! How does that work?

(Bunny) #13

Something like this:

[1] Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): If you put two 2x acetic acid molecules together (your own ketones + ACV) you get DIACETIC ACID or ACETOCETIC ACID or 1 of 3 ketone bodies

[2] Apple cider vinegar will force your body into increasing ketosis to burn more body fat through a metabolic pathway called PGC-1 alpha

[3] ”
PGC-1α coactivates PPAR-Îł and other transcription factors, is expressed at much higher levels in brown adipocytes than in white adipocytes, and is induced in brown cells UPON COLD EXPOSURE in vivo, or by ÎČ-adrenergic stimulation in isolated cells20,21. When introduced into white fat cells in culture or in vivo, PGC-1α ‘switches on’ many of the key features of brown cells, including mitochondrial biogenesis and UCP-1 activity20. Cells ectopically expressing PGC-1α also have an increased fraction of uncoupled respiration, a key characteristic of brown fat. Although PGC-1α is clearly a key effector of the thermogenic programme of brown fat, cells lacking PGC-1α still show a morphology that is brown-fat-like, and still express certain molecular markers of brown fat22. Thus, it seems likely that other factors function upstream of PGC-1α to control the determination of brown fat cells. 
” 
More

('Jackie P') #14

Blimey! Thank you for that! I’m going to start taking it again right now :grin:

On the Magnesium Citrate bottle the serving size provides 350 mg of C6H6MgO7 (magnesium citrate). That serving size is 4g. 4g = 4000mg. That leaves 3650mg (3.65g) of excipient.

The label claims the filler (the excipient) is not a number of things including starch or sugar or gluten. But it does not say what the filler actually is. And none of the powder has actually been tested to see if it contains what it claims. That is another interesting part of the label to read.

Most fillers can be microcellulose, or cellulose.

Since it is not clear what is in it, it could break a fast.

Probably best to sprinkle it on the one meal a day.

(Bunny) #16

Autum has some interesting things to say about this: (same would probably apply for an extended fast, extremely extended fasting I hear some people use brewers yeast and maybe add nutritional yeast to that?)

DO SUPPLEMENTS BREAK YOUR FAST? [Intermittent Fasting]

Published on Apr 11, 2019

Do supplements break your fast while following intermittent fasting? This is a common question I get with the AENpeeps and on Instagram/YouTube. There are a variety of different supplements out there that are used for different purposes. This means that each supplement will be made up of different materials. Some of those ingredients will break your fast and others won’t. In today’s video, I’m breaking down exactly which supplements are okay to utilize during your fasted state and which ones you should be using during your eating window with Intermittent Fasting. 
More

We cannot rule out the possibility of a synergistic effect for cheese and vinegar.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2814

I looked at the linked reference and it went to the bullet proof blog. the author made the claim about apple cider vinegar and a hypothesis about mitochondrial function without a reference. So I went to the reference provided at the base of the post. That journal article was an interesting pilot study about taking vinegar before bed in diabetic people to reduce pre-breakfast hyperglycemia or dawn phenomenon. So ita did not relate to the hypothesis claimed in the blog article. It is interesting as a stand alone pilot study of a small test group (11). That could be interesting to test as n=1.

Show me the science @atomicspacebunny (I sense, I may regeret this)
 KCKO
 the rabbit hole awaits.

(Bunny) #18

What could be happening is that the ACV is jolting the body into ketosis at and if that deep delta REM (if no apnea occurs and the thyroid is working efficiently) occurs so that would certainly kick the hell out of that Dawn Phenomenon because your going to be burning MORE ketones not glucose?

If you snore or sleep with your mouth open and not through the nose that is good indication no deep delta REM is occurring or is so short lived that it’s not going to kick those endogenous ketones up? That is when your brain temporarily disconnects and goes onto the Sandman’s docking station and you may want to visit him for a little longer?

The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman - 1954

Ooh, noted - thanks. Going to be incorporating it daily going forward. Plus it has really made a difference to my digestion.

Ahh, Ok, so I dug a little deeper into that and this was what I found.

INFORMATION ON MANUFACTURER WEBSITE

Ingredients: magnesium carbonate (when dissolved, Natural Calm becomes magnesium citrate)

Non-medicinal ingredients: Citric Acid.

Free from animal products, sugar, artificial sweeteners, flavours or colours, gluten-free, sugar-free and Non-GMO.

Mechanism of Action: The citric acid combines with magnesium carbonate to create magnesium citrate, one of the most absorbable forms of magnesium available.

Nutrient Value, per 1 teaspoon (2.5 grams): 205mg of magnesium

The unflavoured version of our Natural Calm does not contain any corn or derivatives of corn.

Natural Calm’s magnesium is extracted from ocean water. The citric acid is sourced from sugar beets.

CITRIC ACID

The information from the website didn’t quite satisfy regarding the use of a possible filler. So I looked into how this citric acid is extracted from sugar beet exactly. The word “sugar beet” was already making me worry.

It seems the citric acid is a by-product of some microbial action in sugar beet fermentation.

MAGNESIUM CARBONATE

So that didn’t satisfy either regarding whether or not there was a filler. But then I remembered that Magnesium Carbonate is a white solid salt. Could it be that this removed the need for a filler and that the resulting mg of elemental magnesium citrate is the amount created in the magnesium carbonate + citric acid reaction?

There has to be some sort of chemical formula to confirm this :joy: