Achy knees from jogging. Advice?

I’ve just started jogging at 55 after 25 years off. My knees are achy sometimes. No sharp pains, no swelling. Just achiness. Jogging on sidewalk. Can’t jog on the grass in my area due to negligent pet owners if you know what I mean. Any tips about the achy knees?

(VLC.MD) #2

Ice them after a workout.

You probably need something less impactful on the joints first.
Try increasing leg strength via a lower impact exercise.
stationary biking ?
walking steep uphill
squats - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclHkVaku9U

kettlebell - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kettlebell+workout

It doesnt sound like your body is ready for jogging. I like the enthusiasm but you probably aren’t ready.

Once your legs and back are stronger, you’ll find it easier to jog. Although, many people dont jog because it is just too hard on them. YMMV.

(Karen Parrott) #3

I switched to Tabata style sprints, stair sprints, and interval style fast walking.

My knees and feet tell me my prior 40 years of obesity are adding body inflammation (increased heart risk) to my bones and joints. My body has spoken and I finally learned to listen.

Good luck and here’s to picking low inflammatory movements.

(Liz ) #4

Great Lakes collagen helped me with achey knees. I took 2 tbs a day & in two weeks my knees felt great.

(Rachel Rees) #5

I walk in the local swimming pool, resistant exercise. The water is lovely, I miss running :frowning:

Do you heel strike when you run?
Years ago I adopted a mid-foot or fore-foot running style.
I run barefoot or in sandals now so I cannot heel strike and enjoy running much more than in heavy shoes.

(David) #7

What worked for me was shortening my stride length considerably. This helps you to land on your midfoot rather than your heel and stops you from going up and down much, more of a glide.

If you don’t already run like this, take it easy to begin with. I’m no sort but any change to a running style can bring risks of injury.

You might also try including walking breaks at intervals within your runs.

Good luck,

(jilliangordona) #8

I tape mine up with KT Tape whenever they get achy, and it works great to support. Turmeric supplements and collagen have been a great help as well

(VLC.MD) #9

Which ones ? How much ?

How much do you spend on exogenous ketones and supplements ?

(jilliangordona) #10

I’m not really sure how much I spend on supplements, but they replace most things people would keep in a medicine cabinet. Why are you concerned about how much I spend on supplements?

(VLC.MD) #11

I was just wondering how much it costs. Since I suggest people keto, I need to know the cost of things, so I can tell them beforehand.

For the tumeric, I was looking into taking that myself.
Just wanted to know how much it was / where you got it.

If it’s too personal … I’m OK with not knowing. :slight_smile:

(jilliangordona) #12

My bad, silly internet making me not understand the tone of the question.

I take tumeric for pain, collagen in bulletproof coffee most mornings ($17 from Thrive). I go through a can of perfect keto once every two-three months ($50 a can).

(VLC.MD) #13

It’s probably me.

From the grocery store ? or capsules ?

Butting in here, hope you don’t mind. I used to take turmeric in capsule form but now I just cook with it. I’ve used it to great effect for years.

(Jack Brien) #15

You could try a C25K app that will take you through from non runner to 5k, using walking and running. Really good and got me into running. Squats are great for the knees, the only thing that stopped my knee pain. Convict conditioning has good progressions from really easy to nearly (or maybe even) impossible.

I’ll take a look at that. Thanks.