Accuracy of barbell weights

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

Curious to see what others’ experience is in this area.

I just bought a new weight set that has a 7’ Olympic bar, and came with sufficient plates to total 300 lbs.

I’ve been doing StrongLifts 5x5, and my current squat weight as of this morning was 105 lbs. The squats, however, felt significantly harder than my previous workout using my super-cheap crappy concrete-filled plastic weights, as did the bench press sets.

I’m thinking it might be because the older weights were significantly lighter than they were marked. I never bothered weighing those to see how close they were…just used them because they were what I had.

I’ve definitely seen reviews for barbells and plates where the reviewer notes that the plate weights are off by a bit, but I’m just wondering whether others have seen significant differences between marked and actual, particularly on cheaper sets like my old one.

(eat more) #2

it could be the weights, the barbell, or both
an olympic bar is supposed to be approx 45lbs without weight or clips…,maybe your previous bar is lighter

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Previous bar was around 25 lbs. (I actually weighed the bar, because I realized it was probably heavier than I was estimating), but was smaller than Olympic size.

I should probably weigh the new bar, just for reference, but it’s listed as 45 lbs. on the packaging.

(Michelle) #4

yes, I would regularly pick up weights and weigh them to make sure they are accurate. I would do that with your new weight set too, spot check a few.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

There you go. Standard bar is 45 pounds. Chalk it up to the universe knowing you are ready to up your game. Grrrr.

Did you weigh it? Just interested to find out what discrepancy if any. Interesting topic…didn’t consider this to be a known deviation.

Now that you’ve made the move to iron weights from cement-filled one it’s not something to give a second thought to - for example when you’re at a gym instead of home, etc. The iron ones will be consistent enough and you can trust the number.