About to stop

(Karen Hemry) #1

I have never eaten high carbs, processed type of diet. Most of my carbs came from fruit & wine! I have been vigilant for almost a week, not too much protein, carbs under 20 fat up and not only can I NOT enter ketosis, but I lose and gain the same pound!

I only have 16 pounds to lose and am ready to leave this and do a round of HCG which works, but is not a life style. Any help

(Robert C) #2

There are many reasons to do keto but, two big ones are:

1. For weight loss. If you only have 16 pounds to go then you might just have a different opinion from what your body thinks is enough fat on board for survival. Any diet might then provide a temporary drop but then put you back where you are.
  2. Another is for longevity through better blood numbers. If you haven’t already, it might be good to get all of your blood numbers checked. If they are not looking too good, you might have a great reason to continue keto that doesn’t include moving your weight around.

Another thing to think about is composition vs. weight. If I could lose and gain the same pound - but the loss was fat and the gain was muscle - I’d truly be a happy camper!

(TJ Borden) #3

Sorry it doesn’t seem to be working for you, but you’ve been on this forum for less than an hour. Try taking the time to read up on the diet and search for answers to any questions you might have versus jumping in threatening to quit and expecting everyone to talk you down off the cliff.

If you’re not finding answers, then a better way to ask for help might be to share what you’ve been eating, since its common for people to eat carbs they didn’t realize were there.

You also acknowledge that this is a lifestyle, but you’re frustrated because it hasn’t worked miricles in a week?

That fact is, if you only have 16 lbs to lose, and you’re metabolically healthy, keto may not be the best fit for you as a lifestyle.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

How do you know you are not in ketosis - have you checked with either urine, breath or blood testers? Are you still eating fruit and drinking wine?

(Ken) #5

“Almost a week”? Now seriously, what is it you were expecting? Lipolysis is Science, not magic. It takes a couple of weeks at least for the adaptive phase alone. To lose 16 lbs. can easily take four months or more.

(karen) #6

I agree with the people above, but I’ll just add this: I’m a newbie, and for a while I was making a rather bone-headed mistake: It’s not ONLY about macros, it’s about fitting the macros into an appropriate number of calories. Keto can burn/excrete a few extra fat calories but it isn’t magic, an enormous number of excess fat calories in your diet won’t all just disappear, whether you’re in ketosis or not, whether you’re hitting your macros or not. In other words, start with a reasonable caloric goal for your age, sex, activity level and height. Then figure out your macros in terms of calories. I’m small, and even with moderate activity I can’t eat more than about 1500 calories a day and maintain my current weight, no matter what flavor those calories are. I was adding maybe 1200 calories of pure fat to a diet of 400 cals of carbs and protein and expecting to lose weight. Nope. ETA: I did maintain on the new diet, which makes me think keto allowed me an extra 100 calories a day, which is nice but not permission to eat a stick of butter for lunch. :yum:

(Stacy) #7

Ok. This is the first post I have read that fits what is going on with me. Thank you.

(Karen Hemry) #8

Wow was this sup posed to be helpful, not on a cliff, assumption I have not done my research or read forum entry’s is ignorant. I have done both, thus the reason I joined the forum for advise.

(Karen Hemry) #9

Yes and no, testing with urine sips very carefully, no fruit and no alcohol for actually longer, but did not start diligently tracking until about a week ago. Have read several books etc

(TJ Borden) #10

You titled it “about to stop”, and didn’t actually ask a question.

(Karen Hemry) #11

Based on the books I have read I was under the impression your body should achieve keto in a much shorter time.

(Robert C) #12

I think the only way to get into ketosis in a week or less (for most people) is through an extended fast. Total time will depend on whether they are coming from SAD, Paleo, vegetarian etc. so I don’t think there is a specific amount of time for everyone.

(Karen Hemry) #13

I have kept my calories under 1250, which based on all the calculators I have found is 50 to 150 below where I should be. Perhaps I have read to many articles claiming "fast amazing " results!

(TJ Borden) #14

So your first step needs to be to NOT count calories. You mentioned you’ve been doing your research on keto, but it looks like you might want to start back with the basics:

• 20g or less of net carbs a day
  • moderate protein scaled to your lean body mass
  • fat to satiety

Early on when you’re hungry and/or need a snack, EAT fat.

(karen) #15

Possibly! I know that everyone is different. I came to this website at the end of a 5 day water-only fast. According to breath and stix I was in ketosis then and have stayed there since, but haven’t lost an ounce of fat. So … the calorie thing is my research-based hypothesis of where I went wrong, and I’ll be testing it now. N=Fun, to me, I’m enjoying experimenting on myself.

(karen) #16

I’ll just add that you will get conflicting advice here. What Baytown said contradicts what I said, but it’s not necessarily wrong for everyone - I tried it that way, fat to satiety, and found that it wasn’t working. N=1!!

(TJ Borden) #17

Especially early on, you shouldn’t be counting calories. The calories in calories out (CICO) model that has been shoved down our throats for so long has been completely debunked.

A constant focus on reduction of calories will only serve to slow your metabolic rate and make it more difficult to lose weight.

If you stick to the basics, then you can trust your system to let you know when you need food and when you don’t.

(TJ Borden) #18

Have you tried cutting out all artificial sweeteners? So far I haven’t met anyone on this forum that has issues with their satiety signals that doesn’t use artificial sweeteners and/or drink diet soda.

Not saying those things aren’t okay on keto, but anything that can fool your tongue can fool other systems too.

(karen) #19

Well … the laws of thermodynamics have not been completely debunked. The body manages different sorts of macronutrients in very different ways, some of which are much better at using / removing energy from the body (ketosis) and some of which are much better at storing the energy within the body. But eventually the energy has to be accounted for. At least for my body, there is a limit to the miracle of ketosis.

(karen) #20

I’m pretty much all natural, I basically don’t buy anything that comes in a package (an exaggeration but that’s where I aim). I do put 2 drops of stevia in my coffee, I’ve always thought of stevia as a natural product.