About the Resources category

(Louise ) #1

This category contains some resources that will help you understand the science behind nutrition, biology, anatomy, physiology and epidemiology. At Ketogenic Forums, the mantra or dogma of ‘Show Me the Science’ underpins this way of eating and lifestyle. This is because, for many of us, we have had to challenge the conventional wisdom of eating a higher fat and lower carbohydrate diet, which is contrary to many nutritional guidelines.

For those of you that may not be familiar with reading ‘the science’, these resources will help you with searching for quality literature (databases), basic science, disease information, research methods etc.

Many of these resources have been sourced by me (Louise), but have not necessarily been authored by me (drawn from outside my expertise). These resources are principally Australian in origin, so you’ll need to consider the relationship to your country of origin and ethnicity (where relevant).

This will be an evolving collection, so feel free to add!

(Louise ) #2

NRV.pdf (1.3 MB)

From listening to the podcast, you will know that this month (January 2017), Richard has been tailoring his protein intake to the Australian Nutritional Reference Values (NRVs). Attached is the Australian guidelines.

(Louise ) #3

Nutritional Epidemiology Overview.pdf (360.0 KB)

Much of the nutrition research is based on epidemiology. What is nutritional epidemiology? This attachment provides a brief overview.

You may recall from other reading or podcasts, how Ancel Keys undertook his Seven Countries Study using the principles of nutritional epidemiology (well…as we know now that his study design was flawed).

(Louise ) #4

Intro to Stats.pdf (1.0 MB)

As the saying goes, ‘there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics’.

Many of the clinical or nutritional epidemiology studies that are reported contain some form of quantitative analysis which will include some statistics.

If you are anything like me, and feared Stats 101 classes, here is an easy guide and website to refresh your memory on means, modes, confidence intervals, standard deviations etc

Accompanying this attachment is this easy website: http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/

(Louise ) #5

Intro Biostats Lecture Notes.pdf (518.6 KB)

For a condensed version, I’ve attached some brief PDF lecture notes which provides an overview of Biostats.

(Louise ) #6

Why do researchers publish? What’s in it for them? Researchers (all kinds - from clinical to non clinical) in academic roles, are ‘measured’ on their research outputs, that is publications. There is a saying in academic circles: publish or perish.

Attached is a brief overview of publications and the break down of a journal article. Publishing.pdf (60.2 KB)

(Louise ) #7

So, you’re interesting in finding some journal articles, there are a number of open access websites that you can use. These include Google Scholar or Pubmed.

Google Scholar is at: https://scholar.google.com.au
Pubmed is at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
Should you be asked to pay for access, please let one of the admins know, as we can find access to free library resources.

If you are able to access through a library subscription (say at university or college library), the following slides will enable you to use known databases to search for literature. The key thing here in ‘showing the science’ is that what you find is quality (peer reviewed or referred) research. Often your ‘Dr Google’ search will come up with limited or unverified evidence or opinion.

If you would like a tutorial or guided search assistance, don’t hesitate to contact me or another admin such as @Donna or @erdoke or @Terri who are similarly well qualified to help. Database Searching 1.pdf (2.9 MB)