A Wine-based LCHF cuisine book! "Every Sip Helps You Lose Weight!"

wine
resveratrol
sirt1

I’ve found the research on red wine’s Resveratrol (a polyphenolic SIRT1 activator) quite compelling. It’s been explored and celebrated by keto writer @CristiVlad in his wonderfully researched book Periodic Fasting: Repair your DNA, Grow Younger, and Learn to Appreciate your Food - some great overviews in there. And the classic LCHF/Keto physicians Mary Dan Eades MD and MIchael Eades (authors of Protein Power, and Losing The Midlife Middle) blessed small glasses of wine with dinner way back in 90s…

Basically SIRT1 mimics the anti-ageing effects of calorie restriction in lower organisms and in mice fed a high-fat diet ameliorates insulin resistance, increases mitochondrial content, and prolongs survival. And the longevity of traditional mediterranean people who drank lots of red wine is quite impressive. Though it’s disputable that modern red wine is very different than traditionally fermented grapes, the SIRT1/resveratol is still in the grapes!

Then tonight I came across this book…!

wine%20drinkers%20diet

It’s a quirky little book oriented towards very low carb in a lovely sneaky way. It kind of cracked me up actually. I appreciate its gusto! This author considers wine a requirement for certain cuisine (and I do agree, in a non-addiction context!) - anywhere from 2-7 glasses a week. It’s a wine-lover’s book! I definitely think it can help the wine/cuisine appreciating friends & family in our lives connect to keto/LCHF.

From its Amazon page:

LOSE WEIGHT WITH THE FAT BUSTING POWER OF WINE
This diet shows you how to combine wine’s fat-fighting properties with low carb diets to produce fast and permanent weight loss. Wine isn’t a luxury you sacrifice to lose weight–used wisely it’s the very thing that accelerates it. Follow my plan and you’ll drink yourself skinny!

MY WINE-BASED DIET WILL HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
The research from major universities all over the world is clear–wine helps fight the production of fat cells. That’s why you can lose so much weight with this diet–because it uses the fat reducing compounds in wine as its secret weapon. Wine is essential to this diet not just because it can speed up your metabolism, thus burning calories more quickly than normal. Research from Spain for the BMC Medicine journal reports that two to seven glasses of red wine a week can decrease depression. This is essential for weight loss because a positive mental state is required for any diet.

HOW THE WINE DRINKER’S DIET WORKS
The induction phase is Level 1 of The Wine Drinker’s Diet. It lasts just one week. During the first week, you’ll detox your body. You won’t be starving yourself; you’ll never go hungry on this diet. Instead you’ll cut out processed foods and sugar. You’ll learn a new way of eating. You can stay at Level 1 for longer than a week if you like but then you enter Level 2, where you’ll start eating a variety of new healthy proteins and carbs. Level 3 is your diet for life.

WINE + LOW CARB DIET= FASTEST WEIGHT LOSS
The fat-fighting compounds in wine work best with a low-carb diet. That’s why this book is filled with suggested foods and meal plans that go best with wine.

EVERY SIP HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT
Depending on which level you’re in, you’ll enjoy one to three glasses of red or dry white wine for five of seven nights. Remember, this isn’t a diet that allows you to drink wine; it’s a diet that requires it because of wine’s fat fighting compound.

+++Obviously, not recommended for those with alcohol addiction issues/tendencies or medication contraindications though.

(Chris) #2

Doesn’t the body’s priority of dealing with alcohol first halt fat loss?

Apparently the SRIT1 phenom in otherwise healthy individuals has its own collaborations with metabolism based on anecdotals - and certain things remain ‘unknown’ as I think the studies have been on mice! So that’s where the historical scholarly work has helped me.

I myself have chugged along fat-adapted and midlife fat-burning well with moderate wine intake with certain cuisine - without any apparent delays for my biological profile (have to be careful with my bittersweet chocolate squares for dessert on OMAD days - some brands have double the amount of sugar as other, just in one little square). There are so many interactional and collaborative subtleties in physiology, as yet unnamed by western science. Also, I began taking Ginger capsules with my wine for good measure - the wine seems to distribute it better/quicker - feels great in the belly and the belly is responding.

We know that the metabolically healthy or healed body is very different than the metabolically deranged body, and Vlad goes into that quite a bit in his book, but much remains a mystery in western science. One has to go on one’s own personal conditions and results in industrial culture.

Apparently ancient mediterreanean peoples did very well health-wise with abundant wine customs for millennia - but the “new” mediterranean-industrial diet has been a total high carb scam of course. Many modern health issues arose with the new forms of industrial wheat and/or its processing, along with… sugar and the increase in dessert frequency. The new film by the Cereal Killers writer Donal O’Neill along with cardiologist Aseem Malhotra called The Big Fat Fix goes into the authentic vs. scam thing from a LCHF/keto perspective, but I don’t like it as much as O’Neill’s previous films.

(Melis Jansen ) #4

I’ve been drinking Malbec (a very dry red wine) several times a week for most of the time I have been Keto and have been very happy with my rate of weight loss.

We know the story of the 12th century Luigi Cornaro and his daily dose of wine (plus caloric restriction) which led him lead a life of past 100 years. There might be something to this.