A Sous Vide Primer (how to get started and why with a ketogenic lifestyle)

sous-vide

This isn’t sous vide specific but I use their products to make fresh mozz at home, it shouldn’t be hard to adapt sous vide to the process for ricotta:

https://cheesemaking.com/products/ricotta-cheese-making-recipe?

(Central Florida Bob ) #143

Thanks!

My wife and I started down the road to making mozzarella and somehow never did it. I love both fresh mozzarella and ricotta, so I should look into this more.

(Diane) #144

Found this info online.

From Cook’s Illustrated (the recipe was blocked without paying for access, but I’ve copied their explanation of why the method works as it seemed helpful even without the ingredients being listed).

Would probably be possible to make using an Instant Pot and the yogurt function. Maybe? Haven’t tried either method, but I’m interested now!

(Jane) #145

I’m not home so don’t have my cheese recipes with me to post.

To use the Anova to make cheese I use a stainless pot in the hot water bath that the Anova keeps at a constant temp. Whenever the recipe says “heat to xxx” just set your Anova to that and it will hold the temp of the milk perfectly if you stir it to transfer the heat (unless you aren’t supposed to if curds are forming).

(Thurston ) #146

Using the joule cooking times I’ve had the same thing happen with strip steaks and rib eye. I was wondering if folks were setting the temp 5-7 degrees to allow for sear.

I did boil water and test my instant read thermometer and it was good. I then set my SousVide for 100 degrees and that temp was right on with my instant read. I thought it may have been off thus the overcooking.

Please update if you get a chance to experiment.

I did pork chops that came out superb.

Reading a post by @LeCheffre I realized I hadn’t ice dipped after SousVide cooking.

An easy trick from going from bath to pan is to run cold water over your vacuum bag in the sink, while you are getting your pan hot. This will drop the temp a good 3-5F before you launch it into the hot pan for finishing.

Learned from Dave Arnolds’s podcast Cooking issues.

Easier than getting an ice bath etc ready in my kitchen.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #148

Also, you get the nerve end of the primal sometimes and that’s tougher. Not much to do about it.

(Doug) #149

Agreed - much easier than an actual ice bath. It’s important, too, to pat the food dry (as with paper towels) before searing. Any water will boil, and that takes a lot of heat - the pan will cool and not sear as well. I’ve only done ribeye steaks and pork chops so far, but it only took 30 to 45 seconds on each side to get a very nice sear. Picked up the steaks and chops with a pair of tongs and held the sides against the hot surface of the pan - you get the edge seared too that way, and fat will melt in the pan, making for a better sauce, etc.

Saw a description of what looks like nice way to do scallops - use high-smoke-point oil of your choice to sear one side, then add butter when searing the second side. The butter will start to brown fast, and after the second side is seared, the butter should be just ‘burned’ enough to make a nice golden-brown sauce to pour over the scallops on the plate.

(Doug) #151

Ready to sear. Not exactly cheap - it’s $18.88 U.S. on Amazon right now, and that’s the lowest price in the last year and a half. However, it does a fantastic job, and it does it FAST. Dry stuff off after sous viding it, and put it in a frying pan and give it 20 or 30 seconds with this baby. Hardly any smoke at all - quite different from using a hot pan indoors.

And of course you need to have a torch already. The Searteq is just the little thing that clamps on the end of the torch. The MAP gas burns hotter than propane and I’ve never had any ‘fuel’ taste or smell from it.