A small but significant victory

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

For the last 8 to 10 years I have suffered Bursitis in my left hip and I’m a left side sleeper. I can sleep on the right side but not very long. Sleeping on the left for more than an hour would produce an ache that would last for hours after waking.

I have gone to extreme lengths to improve my sleep in the last few years. We have separate adjustable beds. I sleep on my back elevated for the first 1 to 3 hours when I seem to be in my deepest sleep. I also have a recliner that I can and do move to late in the night (early morning) but still, my left side had hurt some every day. I was hopeful that reduced inflammation with keto would get rid of my bursitis but it did not seem to help.

But the last week I have not had any pain at all. I’m assuming that it is mostly getting my weight down from ~250lbs to ~202. My sleep quality has gone up a lot the last 3 days as my mind has recognized this and not told me to move between the bed and the chair as much.

I’m cautious but optimistic that getting <190lbs will ensure that the pain does not come back.

(Cranford Coulter) #2

I can relate to inflammation problems. I have had osteo-arthritis in my knees, ankles, and hands starting at age 15. Then I had an infection that ate into my spine that coused arthritis there. I take a two capsules each of turmeric (w/black pepper) and ginger every day. This has eleiminated all sign of damage to my spine and all pain from my knees, ankles, and hands. I buy the spices at an Amish bulk bulk shop and make the capsules myself.

(Robert C) #3

You seem to be doing well but, (to me anyway) more information is always better.

You may want to give this a listen (titled “The Problem With Sleeping On Your Side, How To Sleep On Your Back, Little-Known Sleep Enhancement Tricks & Much More!”):

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/sleep-podcasts/how-to-sleep-on-your-back/

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #4

This gives me hope. I have had to sleep in a recliner for over a year in order to get any sleep. When I attempt to sleep in the bed I regularly wake during the night with excruciating pain in my back that feels like I’m being electrocuted. In order to make it stop I have to roll over, but the pain is paralyzing. I’m hopeful that getting my body in better shape, losing weight, and improving my nutrition will correct this.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #5

Robert thanks for that. Will give it a listen this weekend.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Jane - I hope you see improvements soon.