A silly but helpful visual aid for weight loss

(Charlotte) #1

I wanted to share a silly but psychologically helpful visual chart that I made to track my weight loss.

So…you see this thing here that looks like someone’s not-terribly-artistically-inclined kid made it for an art project? It was actually hand-crafted by me, a 40-year-old adult woman, and I’m not even a little bit sorry about how janky it looks, because I love it.

I wanted something fun and highly visual to track my progress, so I made this out of sheets of foam and duct tape, glued on some decorative paper numbers from the craft store, then stuck it to the inside of my bedroom door. The little orange spider is just a Halloween button glued on to a push pin (orange is my favorite color and my name is Charlotte, so an itsy bitsy orange spider climbing up the weight loss spout just felt like an appropriate avatar). At first my instinct was to put my starting weight at the top and my goal weight at the bottom, as I am obviously trying to make my weight decline, but ascent just felt like a more positive and inspiring visual representation than descent, so I flipped it.

For whatever reason, this chart really helps keep me upbeat and motivated during my long (long) journey toward a healthy, comfortable size. If I do put on a pound or three, I make sure to keep the spider facing upward regardless, as a reminder that even if there was a bit of a backslide, it’s just part of the overall journey to the top. When I do lose some weight, I get ridiculously excited to move the spider up a notch or two. Something about the visual representation of myself as an adorable little creature, persevering despite any setbacks to complete a long, difficult journey just really reinforces my self-discipline, boosts my sense of commitment to reaching my goal, and helps me to cultivate compassion toward myself rather than beating myself up for every mistake.

Anyway, just figured this might be helpful to share with others who might find the idea appealing want to try something similar. And go ahead and make one that looks like it was crafted by an actual adult if you like, I won’t judge! :grin:

(Ashley) #2

This is awesome I think, gives a visual! Keep up the good work! I might end up doing my own!

(Aimee Moisa) #3

Ooh, I wanna do this! Thanks for the idea!

(Michelle) #4

Bonus - you can sing “Movin’ On Up” - the theme some from “The Jeffersons” whenever you lose a pound! (Maybe I’m showing my age!)

(Jane) #5

I love it!!!

(Dee) #6

Love it !!

(Charlotte) #7

Ha ha maybe I just will!

(Charlotte) #8

Thanks! I recommend it, it adds a dimension of fun to the weight loss process!

(Charlotte) #9

You are so very welcome, and I’m so glad it resonated with you! Thanks!!!

(Jane) #10

Years ago (early 90’s) when I lost 35 lbs on Weight Watchers I put together a string of paperclips and tacked them to the back side of my office door. 35 paperclips in all and added another tack next to it at the top.

Every week I would come in after my weigh-in day and move however many paperclips for the number of pounds to the other string. I never moved them back if I gained. Gradually the “to lose” side got shorter and the “lbs lost” side got longer… When they were equal in length I knew I was halfway to my goal!

I love visuals like this to keep you motivated.

(Charlotte) #11

That’s also a great idea!

Charlotte you absolutely hit this one to the moon!!!
May I say how absolutely proud I am of you and how I just love your upward climb. Thanks a gazillion for sharing.
You’ve got this!

(Liz Lang) #13

We’re always giving stickers and such to our kids as rewards, so why not reward ourselves? As a teacher I can tell you this chart is a great (and fun) way to track your progress. But remember, keto is not just about weight loss (at least in my case it’s not, I;m reversing my terrible diabetes) so look for the other health benefits too. Keep that little spider climbing. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

(Charlotte) #14

Aw, thanks! You just made my day with the sweetness and enthusiasm of your support!

(Charlotte) #15

You are so right about looking at other benefits, and I definitely am paying attention to those as well (I’m having bloodwork done next week for the first time since I really committed to keto in earnest and I’m excited to see the results). The reason I focused the chart on weight loss specifically is that in the beginning, the amount of weight I needed to lose was so daunting that it felt insurmountable, and the visual aid makes it feel more like something I can actually achieve. But lots of other benefits have made sticking to keto easier than it would otherwise be, even if I don’t feel compelled to track them on a chart-- --I feel better, have more energy, my short-term memory seems to have improved, I’m less anxious, and because I eat so much less frequently, it has really helped me to pinpoint and work on some of my underlying psychological stuff around emotional eating. :smiley:

Love this, Charlotte. Not usually much for the charting kind of thing, but this really appeals to me, and how is is all so symbolic is great. Thank you for sharing this.

(Leela) #17

I love it. Powerful and motivating. You go girl!!

(Heather ) #18

I happen to think that you are quite artistically inclined and ingenious. I love this and think it’s amazing! Great work on not only being committed to your weightloss journey, but maintaining a positive mind. The hippie in me believes with that a clear, balanced and self-loving mind, all things you desire can be accomplished :heart:

(Carole) #19

You can also get 2 glasses and fill one with the weight you want to lose. Every time you lose a pound you put a marble into the other glass. Or you can record inches. Or you can use beads instead of marbles. Whatever works.

(Jane) #20

I got my own direct experience of what it is like to lose 30 lbs.

I found a source for raw goat’s milk so made some cheese. It needed 30 lbs to press the whey out and my weights were in the basement.

I went down to get them. Couldn’t carry the whole 30 so grabbed the 10 and 5 lb weights and started up the basement stairs. I was amazed at how heavy my legs felt.

On the second trip I REALLY felt it and then realized I was carrying double what I had in my hands ALL.THE.TIME and finally realized I really do feel “lighter on my feet” - not just my imagination.