A PASS appointment before surgery…

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #1

Hello I haven’t posted in awhile, not sure if this is the correct section but I need feedback and experience. I have a surgery set for 11/14/23 and on 10/31/23 I am scheduled a pre surgery PASS appointment never had one but they mentioned bloodwork and urine test. Having been on Keto before and recently restarted

I am worried is there anything they may find that tells them they will no longer do the surgery? I’m not fat adapted yet been keto a month but urine strips are still dark so I guess this means my body still getting rid most my ketones. If this is the case won’t it make my tests look wonky? I never done one of these test and really need my surgery to proceed. :weary:

(Harriet) #2

I’m not familiar with the bloodwork you’re talking about, is it a specific test? Be that as it may, can I give you a little dutch uncle advice? I’ve had bloodwork done early in ketosis and it can wonk a few results. It was years ago so don’t ask me what or how but you seem to have your priorities a little out of whack, IMO, think about it, you need surgery, you’re concerned keto will prevent the surgery, what’s the solution? You’re not going to be able to eat keto if you should have to stay in the hospital for any length of time, anyway. Just eat healthy whole foods and low carb, stay away from grains and sugar, stop stressing yourself and get into ketosis after you’ve had your surgery. This is what I’d tell my kid if they were in your shoes. Look, we all go in and out of ketosis for various reasons. Good luck with your surgery.

(Bob M) #3

It depends on what they are looking for. I’ve had multiple surgeries (cataract, shoulder) while on keto and never had an issue.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #4

I’m not staying in the hospital. I’m having hysterectomy. I was just wondering if things like that happen like being on Keto would make it appear I’m unhealthy because I just started. I would explain to them my eating habits.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

No. They are looking for things such as infections, or anything that might make anaesthesia a risk. Your lipid numbers may be wonky, but they are not going to impede surgery.

(GINA ) #6

I don’t know what PASS stands for, but I recently had a broken ankle operated on. My preop checkup included an EKG, bloodwork to check liver function, look for infection, and blood sugar/A1c. They are just looking to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery or if there are any extra precautions they should take. I don’t see anything in my labs that would be affected by keto.

One of my liver enzymes was slightly elevated. The doctor said that can come from liver disease, or muscle injury. Since I had just broken a couple of bones and torn up a bunch of tendons and ligaments he figured that was probably it. He just gave me a slip to check it again in a couple of months.

My husband is diabetic and was considering a surgery- necessary but not an emergency. The surgeon said he needed to get his morning fasting BG below 110 consistently because high blood sugar affects healing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

That was my experience, too. They operated on my ankle in early September. It wasn’t as bad as yours, just some fractures in the malleolus, no torn ligaments or other complications. I am hoping the cast will come off tomorrow. We’ll see! :crossed_fingers:

Pre Appointment Surgical Screening, what they check is more or less specific to what’s being done other than the general stuff.

(GINA ) #9

My surgery was September 7 and I got the cast off this past Monday. I am still in a boot and non weight bearing, but no cast is a relief. I have a plate and 9 screws in my ankle now.

How did you break yours? I fell off my bike.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

I was crossing the street, and my knee buckled, BAM! The buckling was a consequence of Lyme disease. If I’d had anything besides my walking stick to hold onto, I’d’ve been fine, but no, it happened while I was crossing the street.

Funnily enough, my surgery was the same day as yours! I think I have screws and wires, no plate. I’m hoping for a boot, too, so I can take it off while showering. I haven’t washed that part of my leg since the end of August, lol!

PASS stands for Pre-Admission Surgical Screening. Generally, they will do bloodwork, EKGs, and X-rays. This is done a day(s) before the actual surgery. It saves time on the day, and it gives the surgeon time to look for any potential risks. They will also give you pre and post-surgery information on your surgery and what to expect during and after. As with all surgical procedures, there are risks involved. If you have high blood pressure, they may decide to postpone the surgery until your blood pressure is lower. Post-surgery infections are among the most common concerns.
All should be well with keto.

(Cathy) #12

At the time of my surgery, I had been in ketosis for about 10 yrs. and had pre-surgery blood work etc. and no problem.

Wishing you well with your surgery.