A Non-Scale DEFEAT!? Huh?

(Joey) #1

Had an amusing experience this morning. Feel like an idiot. Thought I’d share…

After climbing onto the bathroom scale I was surprised to see the lowest number I can recall at any time during the past four decades. Wow, I thought. Imagine that… just under 140 lbs. Go figure. And still eating keto like a pig.

Settling in with my morning coffee, I got curious as to my waist measurement. So I grabbed a 60+" sewing tape nearby to have a look.

Huh?!? Can’t be!

I gained over an inch?! Impossible. I’ve had the same waist measurement for two months now … I’m still doing regular core workouts… and my weight is lower than ever.

Measured again … sure enough… my waist gained a full 1.5"?!

Can’t be. :worried:

To be candid I never really cared much about my weight. But after 5 months on keto, I finally caved and bought several new pairs of pants that actually fit. My old ones were falling off my hips. And I’d just given those bigger ones away to charity. Jeans, casual pants, even a few suits.

And so now, my waist is growing again? :thinking: Uh-oh.

Still… I don’t feel any plumper than I did yesterday.

Ok, so I’ll try one more time…

Grabbing the tape measure … Ah-haaa. Now I see…

I was measuring from the wrong end of the tape. That is, from the 60+" end down to the middle, instead of from the 0" end up!

Puzzle solved. Yeah, still the same 31" waist I was yesterday. And now I don’t have to go clothes shopping again anytime soon. Relief.

Not quite a non-scale victory. But then again, not quite a non-scale loss either.

Tied game. :raised_hands:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Putz. :heart_eyes:

(Windmill Tilter) #3

That’s pretty funny! If I had a 31inch waist, I think I’d measure it 2 or 3 times a day and just marvel at the tape measure. It sounds like keto is really working for you! :+1::+1::+1:

I’m currently at 44 inches and I’m working my way down… :yum:

(Joey) #4

Totally.

(Joey) #5

Ha!

My current waistline just happens to fall about halfway between both ends of that cheap 60"-ish sewing measure tape. So, for a buck or two, if you can find an ever-so-slightly longer tape, you can pull the same stunt on yourself. :upside_down_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

@SomeGuy How tall are you Joey? You and I are almost the same, 31-32” waist (started at 38”) and 142-144 lbs here. I’m 5’10” and 60 lbs less after 15 months of KETO. I never thought I would have a waist this small, last time was in high school! Pretty damn awesome feeling it is being thin. As an amputee it’s a real game changer. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Joey) #7

@David_Stilley Ah, nostalgia. Yeah, I was once 5’ 10" - perhaps even a fraction taller. But they tell me I’m now down to about 5’ 9" [… gravity sucks]… and may not be done shrinking.

FWIW, I’ve lost about 20 lbs and 4" at the waist. Hopefully I’m done with “shrinking.” It was my feeling crummy despite all that exercise and “healthy” low fat eating that motivated me to do some research and then try cutting out the carbs. The size/shape “enhancements” are just keto gravy. Though it certainly contributes to feeling good.

Clearly, you’re doing mighty fine! Keep up with your amazing health & fitness gains and enjoy yourself in all the years to come!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

We are the same! I used to be 6’ but as I aged suddenly I was measured at the doctor’s office and I was 5’9 1/2” When I lost weight it allowed my spine to straighten up a bit and I was 5’10”. I don’t think I’ll be getting anymore back though. :cowboy_hat_face:

Keto makes you taller?

(Joey) #10

@FrankoBear Height effects remain unclear. But epidemiological studies suggest that keto makes pants grow larger. Fairly high r-squared.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

No Franco, KETO didn’t make me taller! :roll_eyes: What is did do is get rid of my big ass belly that was affecting my posture by pulling my spine foreword, front heavy so to speak. Because no matter how much weight I gain my Irish bum stays pretty small. :joy::joy::joy: It’s all up front! Losing weight allowed me to start to straighten up again over time. I stood at 5’10” again but unfortunately I am pretty sure the 6’ days are gone forever probably from reduced cartilage thickness between my vertebrae would be my guess. However if I ever lost my other leg I would get new prosthetics to make me 6’4” I have always had short legs for my torso. Better living through modern science. :wink: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Grant MacDonald) #12

moral of the story: coffee first, then measure :slight_smile:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #13

Oh please, no! I’m way too tall already!

:giraffe:

(Gary hoover) #14

Don Q. Keep it going. Jan 3 will be 1yr. Started 40 elastic around waist,went to reg 40,then 38 elastic,38 regular,I just got a regular 36 and they fit good not tight but looks like soon is 34. This fourm is great and so is keto

(Windmill Tilter) #15

I’m planning on it. I’m down 40lbs this year; if I can drop another 40 next year I’ll be in pretty close to where I want to be :slight_smile:.

(Gary hoover) #16

Yea me too down 46 as of yesterday. Off a lot of meds. Diabetes was high now down to very good. I’m going to now make this a lifestyle change. Never want to go back. Keep it up. Your doin great