A little Science if you will

(Peter) #41

Someone helpful is defined, badly, by that definitive source, Urban Dictionary. Well then, case closed…

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #42

( pedantry on )
Not necessarily. It is often singular.

Example:

If someone tries to buy beer, they will be asked to show their I.D. .

My grandfather drilled into me that this was not correct (that it should be “he will be asked to show his ID” or “she will be asked to show hers”). Singular at the start of the sentence would require singular in the second half of the sentence. I used to tie myself in knots trying to avoid writing a lot of “he/she” so I’m happy that this is changing!

Seems MacMillan agrees, “official” enough for you? They were good enough to make all the dictionaries in school when I was growing up, I’m sure you’ll have a problem with that to though right? Maybe they were founded on a Wednesday or something? I’m sure that would invalidate any definition in there. Don’t make excuses for one of the most annoying types of people on the internet.

(Bob M) #45

Cold butter with steak is also good. And if you get butter that’s been cultured (fermented), it’s supposedly higher in vitamin K2. Of course, grass fed likely helps too.

(Bob M) #46

Many of my clients are overseas. So, I ignore grammar for the most part from them. I try to get the gist of what they are saying. That’s more important.

Now, if I could speak multiple languages (anyone want to give a go for Finnish?) fluently and with correct grammar, maybe then I’d care.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #47

Is your Grandfather’s name Webster?:slightly_smiling_face:

The use of they, their, them , and themselves as pronouns of indefinite gender and indefinite number is well established in speech and writing, even in literary and formal contexts. I

I don’t disagree with your premise, but language is ever evolving. There is enough bad grammar out there to sometimes let convention slide…

Yes, I agree! it has changed by now and my grandfather’s not around to bug us all about it :slight_smile:

(Kirk Wolak) #49

I love to say “Every Body is Different” and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I am carnivore (90% or more). There are a LOT of ways to spike glucose.
Stress is a huge one for me. Driving will push glucose, but with my ADHD that might just be how I maintain a Hyper State of awareness.

But I did a test early on with Filet Mignon. 24 oz… And I got a pretty big move in my glucose.
I don’t remember the actual number since it was almost 3 years ago… But it scared me!

My neighbor, he does not get the same response at all… Could it be the volume? Sure!
So, again, it depends. I would say the BEST thing to do is MEASURE your glucose levels before your meal, and every 15-30 minutes until you level comes back to the pre-meal level, or is close.

Because EVERYONE is different. I think it is best to measure yourself.
Also, your results can change over time as your body/metabolism changes.

HTH

We must secure the existence of our language and a future for proper grammar.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #51

Ah, yes, the old prescriptive vs. descriptive grammar debate. It is irresolvable. Give up, and relax, everyone. Make your goal to be as clear as possible in your own writing, and to give others a break in theirs. Your blood pressure will thank you, and so will the forum admins.

And remember, autocarrot covers a multitude of sins.