A little help getting settled

Hi All,

Long time lurker, just wanted a little feedback / advise if possible.

I started Keto on Bank Holiday Monday, a little under 2 weeks ago. From Tuesday I was showing ketones in urine at moderate levels making me think I have possibly been in Keto previously from old diets etc, other then a few stomach pains occasionally and mild headaches I’ve not had bad symptoms some report.

My goal isn’t really to loose weight but since starting I’ve gone from 11.2st to 10.8, I’m a little worried that I’m loosing too much too fast.

My diet is all clean Keto, mainly plant and cheese based with some meat and fish, I’m watching macros and my fat is usually around 70% and I keep carbs under 50g (usually around 30) I was eating about 2000 cals a day when I started but I’ve lost my appetite recently and struggle to hit 1300 most days, it’s just hard to keep shoving fat in when not hungry, I’m a little more protein heavy then some suggest at about 25%.

I exercise a little, swim twice a week in 50 min sessions (about 1000m each session) and do resistance training (bands) for 30 mins 2/3 times a week, other then walking the dog a couple of times a week I’m not active at work etc.

Is my weight loss normal?

I used to be very carb heavy, I’m a bread and potato guy.

My goal was to lean down and then build some muscle tone as well as getting more energy levels in preparation for my 3rd little one coming in summer.

I’m not finding Keto overly hard apart from missing bread and having clashing mean plans with my family but want to make sure I’m not going in too hard and fast and if my calorie intake is having a negative affect? I’ve not restricted cals at all, just eat what I can.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

(MooBoom) #2

Hi Steve, from what you’ve said above, it sounds like your experience is normal and you are doing well. The weight loss you’ve experienced thus far is likely water weight- a lot of folk new to the ketogenic way of eating experience a decent drop at the beginning.
It’s something you will need to keep an eye on, if the weight loss continues at a rate you feel uncomfortable with, check back in and troubleshoot further.

1300 cals is really low for a working out male specially when u dont want to lose weight, ur bmr will slowdown and ull become fatigued eating only 1.3k, try more calorie dense foods like nuts, they pack 600-700cals for 100grams.

(Jeramy Koval) #4

You may want to calculate your macros and calories to see where you should target. Generally the formula is based on height, age, weight, etc. Then you’ll have some idea of where you stand. For example, if you calculate 1800 Cal to maintain your current weight then maybe you aren’t as far under as you may believe. And since fats are easy to add in oils, nuts, etc. it wouldn’t be too difficult to add more calories if needed.

(Running from stupidity) #5

(Carl Keller) #6

Hi Sketchx.

I would not be too attached to the initial weight loss we all experience from going LCHF. It’s likely your glycogen stores in your liver and muscles being depleted, as @MooBoom says. This should stabilze rather quickly and as long as you are eating when you are hungry and eating nutrient dense foods, your body will let you know if you are losing too much weight.

A lack of hunger can be alarming and feel unnatural but I’m confident it will return very soon if your metabolism is working properly. It will increase your hunger when it determines you are losing too much weight. I’ve seen this happen in myself and in at least a dozen other LCHF people.

thanks all. Really good and reassuring info!

The macro calculator sounds interesting, any good calculators anyone can recommend?

Thanks again, it’s reassuring to find such a helpful community of real life Keto folk and not relying on the mixed info generally online.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

I tried about five one day and there was little variation. I settled on Keto Karma, it was in the middle of the range. So are you doing keto for health reasons then if weight loss wasn’t a goal? :cowboy_hat_face: