A Lawyer's Article Review: 7 Things you Shouldn't Do on a Low-Carb Diet, According to Dietitians

news

(John) #1

I hesitate to call the article that is the subject of this post “news” - because much of it is malarkey.

I’m obviously not a doctor (I’ve been assured the “doctorate” portion of my juris doctorate does not entitle me to use the moniker “Dr.”).

I always read articles such as the following which came up on my Google feed today to see what they say about keto: https://www.eatingwell.com/article/2055096/7-things-you-shouldnt-do-on-a-low-carb-diet-according-to-dietitians/.

Now, this article was written by a freelance journalist, quotes a couple registered dietitians, and was reviewed by another registered dietitian. I’m not sure that counts as “according to Dietitians” (at least the three of them consulted) but that’s more nitpicky than I need to be to critique this article.

The article gets off to a bad start with an off-the-cuff remark about weight loss: “while a low-carb eating pattern might help some people lose weight (at least in the beginning) there are certain things you should make sure you’re doing to maintain as healthy of a diet as possible while cutting down on carbs.”

At least in the beginning? Yes, when I began a keto diet in May 2019, I rapidly lost significant water weight, as most people do. As I sit here today, in March 2022, I am approximately 50 lbs lighter than my heaviest weight. Now I suppose if I continue to eat keto for the rest of my life, then I am “in the beginning” of keto, but I don’t think that’s what they meant. In addition to the weight, I’ve lost nearly 10 inches from my waist, and kept it off. Also, my HDL cholesterol increased, LDL decreased, and Triglycerides plummeted.

Moving on - “When you reduce your intake of carbs, you might also end up cutting out fiber . . . and other important nutrients.” Well there’s a conclusory statement without citation to evidence. Is fiber an “important nutrient?” I think it’s fair to debate, but for me my answer is no. What other “important nutrients” are we missing out on? The article never says. They just want to set the stage for the scary, dangerous keto diet.

Now onto the actual 7 “tips” the article lists.

1. “Don’t Skimp on Veggies.”

I generally agree with their paragraph (except another throwaway take on fiber) for anyone not eating carnivore. I often reflect on the fact I eat far more veggies now than in my Standard American Diet (SAD) days.

1. “Don’t Fear Fruit.”

The title is somewhat nonsense. Yes, avocados are pretty much free on keto, and I don’t “fear” tomatoes or berries, but I also am cognizant of the fact that 20 carbs go really quickly when eating those items. But peaches? One small peach has about 12 grams of carb to only about 2 grams of fiber. Sure, if I’ve had little to no carb all day and I want to indulge in a high carb fruit, a ripe peach might sound great. To the article’s credit, is says these items can be “budgeted”. But I’d rather budget for a craft beer than a peach.

1. “Don’t Use It as an Excuse to Skip Your Workout.”

I think exercise is good for a lot of things. For me, didn’t do anything in the weight loss department. Again, lots of debate on exercise and weight loss, but I made no changes in my activity level when I started eating keto, and the weight came off.

I especially take issue with this bit: “If you’re so focused on your diet that fitness goes to the wayside, or if you don’t have enough energy due to lowering carbohydrate intake too much, it may be time to assess if the diet is working for you.”

Never, not once, have I felt that I “don’t have enough energy” eating keto, and what is their support for the conclusion any lack of energy is based on lowering carb? Again - lots of discussion and studies out there about carbs and exercise, and specifically for elite athletes, but if eating a well-formulated keto diet that includes sufficient water and salt, then I don’t think energy level will be an issue. Hasn’t been for me, anyway.

1. “Don’t Be Too Restrictive.”

Now they’re going off the rails. “Many popular comfort foods have carbs (think pasta, pizza, baked goods, desserts and more), and if you’re too strict about your carb intake, you might feel like you’re missing out on all your favorite treats. This can cause you to give up out of frustration or lead to binging.”

Okay, so this can be true, but what’s their suggestion to avoid this scenario? Find or make keto replacements for those “popular comfort foods”? Nah, just give up! “If you’re feeling hungry, hangry or deprived on a low-carb (or any) diet, it’s likely not sustainable and not a good quality of life.”

It’s not about being “too strict” on the carb intake, it’s about being “too narrow” on the types of food you eat. I like bacon and eggs as much as the next keto-er, but I couldn’t eat them 3 times a day for the rest of my life. Tons of keto recipes out there to satisfy any “comfort food” cravings. Also, the only time I feel “hangry” nowadays is the day after I consume more carbs than normal.

1. “Don’t Eat Too Much Bacon.”

All semblance of unbiased advice is now gone. “Especially with super restrictive high-fat, low-carb diets, like keto, it’s often assumed that you can dig into fatty, greasy bacon as much as you like.”

Okay, so now we’re “super restrictive” and eat “fatty, greasy bacon” (like that’s a bad thing?) You know what I find “super restrictive”? Low-fat, low calorie diets with pale, tasteless chicken breasts and sad, steamed vegetables.

Is the fat from an avocado “healthier” than the fat from bacon? I dunno, maybe, let’s get a randomized control study going on that. I’ll volunteer for either group. Granted, some types of bacon have cleaner ingredients than others, but I don’t think many people are eating bacon “for every meal, every day”. I think they’re conflating concerns about fat with concerns about processed meats, in general. But hey, at least they correctly identified that some cured bacons have sneaky sugar.

Then they go off the deep end: “Include plenty of plant-based oils like olive oil and canola oil . . . Opt for leaner cuts of protein, seafood that delivers heart-healthy omega-3 fats (like salmon) and plant-based protein sources, like tofu, tempeh, beans and lentils.” Where to start…

(a) Aside from olive oil and avocado oil, many ketoers I know stay away from plant oils. Also, we all ignore, dietitians in particular, that olive oil doesn’t have a great omega 3:6 ratio - why do we make such a big deal about the omega ratio when it comes to meats but not oils?

(b) Lean protein is not conducive to a well-formulated keto diet. It’s also comical that in a single sentence they go from encouraging lean protein to recommending salmon.

(c ) Most of the plant-based protein sources they list are not low carb.

So yeah, we start with “don’t eat too much bacon” and end with “eat non-keto things”.

1. “Don’t Forget to Drink Water”

Agree that hydration is important - but it’s sad they don’t bother to mention salt or other electrolytes and their importance in hydration. This part is also nonsense: “When you’re reducing your carb intake, you’re also at a greater risk for dehydration because your body holds on to less water and is trying to pee out ketones.”

“Trying to pee out ketones”? Sure, in early keto adaptation the body spills ketones into the urine, but your body isn’t “trying” to do this. The phrasing makes it sound like ketones are some nefarious thing your body is desperately trying to rid itself of - to the point it’s willing to dehydrate yourself! Once fat adapted there are little to no ketones in the urine.

Also, they suggest you consume watermelon and citrus to stay hydrated…neither of which is low carb.

1. “Don’t Give Up All Starchy Veggies”.

Well, they might as well have just called it “don’t eat keto”.

“You often hear ‘I can’t have starchy vegetables because it has too many grams of carbs’,” says Evans. But you can still follow a low-carb diet without giving them up completely. Including some starchy vegetables and fruit means you’ll be getting more of those important nutrients that you might miss out on when cutting out too many carbs."

What are these mysterious “important nutrients” I’m missing out on? How can you cut out “too many carbs” when everyone seemingly agrees that “The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed.” Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein and Amino Acids (2005).

I think generally someone eating keto shouldn’t regularly include high carb items as a practice - and we’re certainly not “missing out on important nutrients” by skipping them. Don’t get me wrong, I allow myself to occasionally eat high carb vegetables, drink high carb beers, and even indulge in the occasional full sugar sweet. It works for me without complete derailing my eating, but that varies for each individual. I also always feel negative effects on my body when I eat too many carbs (nausea, bloating, lethargy, aching joints).

So I did what I always do with this type of article, and flagged it as “misleading”. It’s pretty clear the author and/or dietitians interviewed don’t agree with the keto lifestyle, and maybe don’t even understand it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Well, given that the definition of fibre is “indigestible carbohydrate,” I don’t see how it can be classified as a nutrient—not without robbing the language of all meaning, anyway. To me, fibre is no more a nutrient than pasteurised processed cheese food spread (i.e., spray cheese). And the experience of many people on these forums is that fibre makes their irritable bowel or their Crohn’s disease worse, not better. (Though it has to be admitted that there are also people who need fibre in their ketogenic diet.)

As for “important nutrients” in general, I just watched a video with Dr. Robert Cywes, who is coming to the conclusion that we need a lot less of a whole raft of nutrients on a keto, and especially on a carnivore, diet. Not because they don’t play an important role, necessarily, but because the body uses them so much more efficiently when glucose and insulin aren’t interfering. I suspect he may be right about this, even though we need to do much more research into the matter.

And regarding exercise, I managed to shed 80 lbs./36 kg as a couch potato, so exercise is clearly not essential for fat loss. And I have far more energy when I don’t eat carbohydrate, that’s for sure.

I wonder if they would tell people who go into anaphylactic shock when they eat nuts or shellfish, “not to be too restrictive”? I certainly don’t feel deprived on keto. I love being able to eat all the bacon I want. Granted, cravings are a completely different issue, but having a craving is not the same as being deprived. Should I tell my alcoholic friend it’s okay to give up his sobriety and have liquor when he craves it?

Actually, I can’t help suspecting that the real sub-text is that they don’t want us eating any meat at all.

See previous sentence. Along the same lines, they also believe that very same nitrates that are carcinogenic in meat, become good for us when we eat them in plants.

(Kathy) #4

Lost me at #4 !!!

Bad advice :thinking: :lying_face:

At least in the beginning makes sense to me. It’s easier to lose fat when we have more to lose.
When I went low-carb, I lost fat in the beginning. I never lost on keto but that’s me and I am curious about what the article says about health and if its advice is totally impossible for me or not :wink:

It’s the same with vegs and “balanced diet” and stuff. Things are just… Said. No examples of missing or essential nutrients AT ALL, I am pretty used to that and I ignore such things.

Fibers aren’t essential. They may be needed for some people on some diet… When I do carnivore (well it’s never very long term I admit but it is for many others), I eat zero fiber and it’s perfect for my body as it’s NOT essential and I don’t need it for some interesting reason either.
I ate very much fiber on my original keto. That worked fine too. My body just doesn’t care so I never ever cared about my fiber intake either, it’s always perfect just like my protein intake. Other things are trickier but these two are fine…
I will read the article later but you provided lines so nicely…

1. I don’t “skimp”, I avoid them as they aren’t good for me. It was great to cut them off.
    Even if I go off carnivore, I typically eat close to zero and it’s perfect for me, I can’t help it :smiley:
    (I looked up the meaning of the word - English isn’t my first or second language, you know but sometimes I do it with Hungarian ones as well -, it’s for necessary stuff. Vegs aren’t necessary.)

2. You know, you don’t need to eat a whole peach :smiley: I prefer banana myself and it always fit easily into my keto. Okay, it doesn’t fit my carnivore but I close to never want it nowadays…

I am sure some people should fear fruit. Others not. I shouldn’t and wouldn’t, I just shouldn’t eat it by default. I gain nothing but joy from it (yeah it has some good stuff I totally don’t need to eat fruit for) and it causes very tiny problems or bigger ones if I go overboard.
It’s individual. If my body is in the mood, I can get a slight sugar poisoning from half an apple. It happened with 3 little balls of grape once. And my body is pretty sturdy, I could eat 1 kg banana without big problems but my body has its preference and tells me what it really wants. Not fruits. My mind want fruits sometimes but a little very occasionally is fine. I don’t consider it having any role in my nutrition.

1. Of course… The two has, like, close to nothing to do with each other?
    But each to their own, some people seem to lose fat only without exercise… I wouldn’t care as I need exercise for my energy and keeping my will to life, it’s WAY more important that losing fat (but exercise surely helps me with that too… at least don’t hinder me) but it’s an individual decision.

2. Well, it’s true. IDK what was in the article but a TOO restrictive diet is clearly bad.
    What one calls restrictive is an interesting thing though :wink: Just because someone calls our diet restrictive, it may be perfect and even way too indulgent for us. My original keto isn’t strict enough for the current me but it was borderline too strict for old me… But I needed it.

WHAT. So carby comfort foods are a must? Feed your addictions and bad habits? It’s a too enabling attitude and very dangerous in many cases.
Pasta… I had it a lot. And then… I didn’t. Wow. I survived and I am a hedonist. I eat baked goods but if I do it with carby things galore, it’s not hedonistic as I feel a bit worse. Oh my… People shouldn’t just comfort themselves with food that is bad for them, our goal should be health, physical and mental but if one can’t comfort themselves without damaging food items galore, they probably didn’t really try…? I am unsure here as I didn’t have an extremely horribly dependent relationship to my pasta or sweet bread type things. And my best sweet desserts are keto.

Oh yeah. If you feel hungry and unsatisfied, low-carb IN GENERAL must be BAD for you! What logic. What if we do it WRONG?
I saw many, many stories where just keto wasn’t enough, the food choices were pretty important as well…
Sure, don’t suffer (unless it’s just mental attachment thing, not too serious, I mean just missing carby treats while knowing that it’s the way… I had hardships myself but giving up gave me a worse quality of life, actually), change something but just giving up everything? Interesting. I am pretty sure that on many areas in life this isn’t the way for success… Of course, if one is sure keto isn’t for them or is unsure how to tweak it and it feels so much worse than the previous diet, do the previous one… Or something else?

1. Again, too much is bad, it’s how it works… I for one wouldn’t like to eat processed and very salty stuff galore. (But I had a carnivore time when I mostly lived on processed, super salty pork, chicken liver and eggs :smiley: Out of necessity. It was far from ideal but my best option.)
    I lack knowledge to decide it for others and why would I do it anyway…

Well, I can. People who compulsively eat 2 pounds of it every time or something, well they probably should avoid it…

This must be on the main table of my room 101, actually. These are the items I avoided all my life and I wasn’t choosy at all. Of course, people who love chicken breast and steamed vegs, should enjoy it :slight_smile: But low-cal isn’t for many people, not even for a short time.

I am not one who cares about fat types - except the basics like trans fat is bad and I kinda trust the idea that vegetable oils aren’t good either. But saturated or not, I couldn’t care less. I eat both galore and can’t change it anyway and it’s fine for me. Researching it is for people who needs finetuning these things.
I eat very much pig fat as it’s my best option but mostly from fresh meat (and a bit lard from a good pig farm). So I don’t have problem with the bacon fat itself.

Indeed. By the way, the only plant oil I could buy here is sunflower seed oil (no thanks)… We have olive oil but 1. I hate the taste, not like I like sunflower seed flavor 2. can’t afford it.
I minimize added fat anyway so it doesn’t matter much if I use lard or not but I use very fine lard, thank you very much.

I actually opt for leaner cuts of protein (because I should, others may need the fattiest they can find). I eat pork chuck (okay, okay, pork shoulder has great prices and I am poor… but I do my best to eat chuck. or thigh with bacon. that has the ideal fat percentage for me and I prefer them anyway).

Tofu sucks. I rather eat seitan, I can make that tasty (lard is the secret ingredient. lots of paprika is the obvious one, it must be RED)… Legumes don’t REALLY fit into my extreme low-carb ideal woe, even poor seitan is on the fence :smiley: At least they are satiating for me, it could be worse.

But this text is just the usual fatphobic stuff (maybe I am a tad too strict but can you blame me? they upset my fat-loving self. I actually do my best to eat as little fat as I comfortably can. eating very low-carb is an important part of it).

Fatty fishes are fine, it’s just we don’t NEED to be afraid of fat so much. Especially on low-carb…

Wow. So many years on low-carb (11) and I never ever heard about this :smiley: I don’t comment, I never focus on my water intake as my body has its wonderful signal system…

But if they talk about water, maybe electrolytes should be mentioned indeed. I don’t care about them either as I automatically have them right but it’s not true for everyone and I like to know about it myself, maybe one day I will drink a ton of water for reasons and I would prefer not to die in the process (or becoming unwell, that is bad too).

WATERMELON!!!
It’s SUGARY water. OMG. It isn’t even good for my thirst but it’s so very very very carby…
When I went low-carb, I still had a watermelon day a year first. I figured out I can consume 3x1 kg a day if I just eat as little of it as I comfortably can. But it’s how one normally does it, isn’t it. Why else would people buy a 8-10kg one that spoil easily?
I stopped quickly. I don’t even like watermelon so much.

What’s wrong with clean water? I am serious. If it’s boring, there are other options, tea, carbonated water, I mostly use them except when I hydrate myself from coffee all day (just until the evening, my serious night drinking requires normal water) but my coffee is super weak.

Citrus may be fine. Let’s put a few drops of lemon juice into a glass of water, it’s refreshing… But only if we like that… I love sour things.

1. I am sooooo with you. It’s stupid. And as they don’t give examples about the Mysterious Nutritions (Almost?) Impossible to Get Without Starchy Vegs… Just ignore their babbling.
    (It’s not a bad idea for it all but I like it fun to react sometimes.)

Wonderful post :smiley: A simple like doesn’t even cut it how wonderful. You have very very good points!

So now the article… It’s even worse than the snippets before…

Good relationship with food is important but honestly, I don’t consider it good when we grab pizza or a candy bar whenever we feel down. I even understand if it’s unavoidable sometimes (and I am not a comfort eater) but that shouldn’t be our basic attitude. I saw people excuse themselves way too easily, be it about their woe or something else. It was painful to watch.

“You can have some bacon, but not for every meal, every day.”

I actually don’t agree with it. It depends on the amount. If an OMADer eats 2 thin rashes every day, I wouldn’t think it’s so bad (especially compared to, well, drinking watermelon for hydration :smiley: oh my god).
Of course such article writers don’t even think about someone not eating many meals a day…
But then they write about uncured bacon. That’s okay in my eyes, obviously too much is bad. We shouldn’t massively overeat or neglect protein and other nutrients with our huge amount of very fatty meat…

PLENTY of plant-based oils… I don’t eat plenty added fat, no matter what. And they do this thing all the time. What is “a lot of vegs” (doesn’t matter, zero is fine), “plenty” (zero is fine again but I am still curious)? These very vague things don’t help and you might have noticed I focus on amounts a lot as they matter a lot! If I comfort or entertain myself with 5g fruit, it’s not the same as eating 3000g. And both are very possible amounts if you ask me.

Maybe some plant oil company sponsored them… Maybe not, it’s just how my brain works nowadays…

And I would like to tell them that my eggs (and probably my other items as well) contain plenty mono- and polyunsaturated fats my heart loves. Hey, it actually contains more than saturated fats according to my tiny research just now…

And WHY is plant protein so wonderful? It’s actually not complete unlike my protein sources I eat galore every day. What is the magic in them that makes it worth even if our body already told us it prefers VERY low-carb and the plants just can’t comply…? (Rhetorical question.)

Keep a big bottle of water on your desk, set a timer to drink fluids

:rofl:

Okay, okay, not everyone is me. It’s just too funny, it couldn’t ever work for me.

generally, the ‘adequate intake’ is set at 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) for men and 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) a day for women," Hultin adds.

I seriously doubt it. Especially that there are ZILLION factors so it’s a huge range for both genders.

Being focused on even that is probably as annoying and potentially mental health damaging as tracking food (I don’t say they don’t have their role, I tracked a lot, being curious and learned from it. but I saw people insanely focused on it).

The site is sooo wrong about things going bad/bland outside of freezer too, I just skimmed that article as well.

I go away now.

(Allie) #8

Brief summary…

Don’t waste your time reading this kind of crap.

(Alec) #9

This is why anything proclaimed by a dietician is worthless. They simply do not have a clue. How this can be called a “profession” is beyond me.

It’s not the individual’s fault, they are just taught the wrong things. And most of them are not bright enough to figure out that what they are being taught doesn’t actually stack up with the research.

There are some exceptions… there are some dieticians and nutritionists who have read more broadly, and realised that what they were taught was wrong, and then change their advice based on the real research. If you need a dietician or nutritionist, make sure you find one of these. There’s a simple test: ask them how the Keto diet works, and see what they say. It will be telling.

(Marianne) #10

Who wrote this article? Actually, it doesn’t matter to me - it’s just another example of people writing about things without knowing everything about that of which they speak. There is a wealth of science available about keto - it’s obvious from the learned individuals here on this board, other scientists and physicians who know the real story about keto. Those are the people whose opinions and information matter to me, not some jerk trying to pass themselves off as an expert for personal or professional validation.

“Low-carb” is a too broad term anyway. And one obviously can’t tell what is healthy IN GENERAL, nothings works for everyone!
If I get unwell or super hungry and compulsively eat up half of the fridge when I eat 5g fruit, I surely shouldn’t eat it galore… If I need extreme low-carb, I clearly won’t eat beans. And I have my own tastes anyway.
They do the same with timing (when and how often we eat). They say something based on something and it’s usually super awful and even impossible for me and many others.

It would be similarly very wrong to say that keto is great for everyone. It isn’t. Even we all having human body with zillion similarities, it doesn’t work exactly the same and we need different diets. And even if keto is for us, we need different styles. I functioned well on vegetarian keto but it’s not ideal even for me as it’s too carby (I could make it work now that I learned stuff and lost interest in most vegs but it would be a bit troublesome). Our mental health is quite important too and we can’t all just be super strict and expect good things even if our physical body should handle it.

So these kind of articles never would be right, not even if the authors had any idea about keto and low-carb and didn’t dislike animal fat…