A few questions about fasting, stress, and disordered eating

(Elizabeth ) #1

The actual questions are in bold if you want to skip my rambling :joy:

I’ve been keto-ing since the beginning of January (yep, I’m one of those guys!), and I absolutely love it! I’m sleeping better, my stomachaches and headaches have mostly disappeared, and a weird throat ache is slowly fading away. I love the food, too! Best part!

However, I live in Japan and teach in an elementary school. It’s not always possible to find food on the road (and sometimes school lunch is nothing but carby fried food. So I’d like to have fasting as a backup weapon.

However (again), I’m often under a lot of stress. The past 6 months have been rough, but i think things will improve soon. But I’m just exhausted and kinda burnt out ATM. Is it ok to fast when stressed? Will my body think the world is ending (when most of it is me absorbing workplace drama and not dealing well)?

The last question is that I do have a history of disordered eating. I have plenty of fat stores now, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but I’m a little worried about some of the physiological responses. It took me a really long time for my body’s hunger signals to readjust, and I’m kind of worried about breaking them again. Is it ok to fast after disordered eating if one isn’t underweight?

I’m a recovered anorexic & have chosen not to fast. I made this decision based on my fear that the ‘high’ some people get from fasting may send me back down the rabbit hole. I am able to skip breakfast & dinner several days a week but that’s as far as I’m prepared to go.

(Carl Keller) #3

Hi Elizabeth.

It’s pretty likely that our ancient ancestors fasted in times of stress because they had no choice, but it’s got to be a very chaotic time for our metabolism. Even if we have plenty of body fat for fuel, our cortisol will elevate blood glucose levels which prompts an insulin response and the very cycle we are trying to rest and repair (by eating LCHF) is exasperated.

Basically, stress triggers a flight or fight response and our body reacts to a pervceived threat by trying to conserve resources like body fat. So I don’t think you are going to get the results you wish for by fasting while stressed, long tern. I think the better plan of attack would be to address the stress. I’m certain it’s worth your time and effort to find something that helps your relax. :slight_smile:

https://siimland.com/keto-and-stress/

I wouldn’t fast when stressed - even in the best-case scenario, it’s a stress on the system when you first start fasting - and with a history of disordered eating I would proceed very very slowly and carefully. As in: spend another six months in keto, see how your hunger signals operate when you’re fat adapted, see how you feel emotionally with regard to food, then maybe (maybe!) pick a time that’s not very stressful and play around with intermittent fasting and see how you respond.

Can you stock up on some easy portable keto foods ? (I often take macadamia nuts and beef jerky with me when traveling - or cans of salmon depending on whether I have access to a kitchen). There are a few threads on here with suggestions for keto on the road.

Congrats on your time so far!

(Elizabeth ) #5

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate the wisdom. I think I’ll put fasting on hold for a while and keep focusing on getting healthier!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Elizabeth, I also have a history of anorexia and bulemia (and all the mental stuff that goes with it) and like Safi said, it took many years for me to undo that disordered thinking. I am afraid that if I fast one tiny switch will get flipped on and I’ll be out of control again, so I don’t fast. I don’t even skip a meal but if I’m really not hungry sometimes I’ll just go for a cup of tea with bit of cream. It’s like I’m telling my brain, “Don’t get any ideas” :blush: