A few newbie questions (again)

(Ellie Baum) #21

That’s brilliant. Might do this when I don’t have access to a fridge.

(Jessica) #22

I aim for between 20 and 30 net. It doesn’t have an impact on ketosis for me but I don’t have metabolic issues.

(Becky Searls) #23

Great tip!! Will keep in mind for next school year

(Brad) #24

19-6=14 ? :bacon:

(Mike Glasbrener) #25

I just read this in Fung’s book. Even the latest and greatest, Stevia, can provoke an insulin response w/o causing a BS response. That kind of shocked me because I thought the dominant insulin driver was BS. However, the stomach secrets a hormone that also drive insulin secretion, as doet the “mouth”. Thus some foods can drive insulin w/o driving BS I’ve totally avoided, ANY sweeteners the last 3 moths because I’ve been doing well, don’t have a sweet tooth and didn’t want to add anything fir a n=1 experiment that didn’t seem necessary at the time. I’m learning more all the time…

(mich) #26

Wow, thanks for the supportive replies!
I am currently sipping coffee and cream…it’s doable, I can learn to love it, like I’ve learned to love saying ‘no thanks’ to chocolate! Give me a bit and I consider other ‘additions’ (butter and oil!):grimacing:

I’ll look closely at MFP, I don’t want to get too obsessed, but it would be good to track for a few more weeks.

I noticed this week I’m eating around 9am and then 4pm and that’s it (well, plus the 2 wines around 6-7pm). My calories are around 1700 - is that ok for a 163cm female?

Thanks again everyone.

(mich) #27

Sorry just one more, please. I just checked MFP for yesterday. Total carbs were 30g, and then I looked at the fibre content of my food - 9.8g.
So, do I subtract 9.8g from the total? If this is the case, maybe I’ve been closer to 20g for a while (crossing fingers!)?
Thanks so much. I thought I’d researched Keto hard, but there’s so much to learn!

(Griffin Mekelburg) #28

That is correct! 30 total - 9.8 fiber = 20.2g Net Carbs!! I personally would stay lower, but as everyone has said, every body is different!

(Becky Searls) #29

Lol. I’m on vacation in Maui, my head’s clearly not in the macro game! Lol

(Linda Culbreth) #30

Be sure to use heavy cream, not “half 'n half”. Watch for the “cream” at fast food places and restaurants,and perhaps even in your break room. A lot of those are more chemicals than real cream.

(mich) #31

Thanks @justme - I don’t think we get half and half in Australia (?) I purchased Pure Cream, not thickened cream. Im a herbal tea girl when I “meet for coffee”, so all good!

(Linda) #32

Hi Mich
I’m in Sydney and have never seen half and half. I usually buy the thickened or double cream! Beautiful :grinning:

Where in Oz are you?

(mich) #33

Hey Linda - I’m Canberra region. Im not a regular cream puchaser, so I thought Pauls Pure Cream would be a decent starting point!

(Linda) #34

Any cream is a great start!
I tend to pick the one with the highest fat and lowest carb content.
Man, it must be getting cold down there, it’s bad enough in Sydney!

(mich) #35

@LindaA I’m complaining already! Do NOT ask me about the cold in August. I will swear at you!

(Linda Culbreth) #36

Mich, it’s real common here in The United States. Basically it’s half cream
and half milk. There;s also a ton of flavored “creamers” with - all with a
“ton” ( you probably spell “tons” as “tonnes”. Is that correct?) of carbs
and a ton of chemicals. As much of it is sold, it must taste really well!

One day I would like to visit your country.

A lot of items in MFP might have alternate entries that account for fiber. For example, instead of “Quest Bar”, search for “Quest Bar Net Carbs”.

(James storie) #38

Don’t worry about calories. If you do that you’ll start restricting or overeating to reach a goal. Just keep your carbs where they need to be and keep an eye on your protein, then eat fat until you are FULL! It really is better to keep it simple. This is a WOE not a diet. There is no reason to restrict calories on keto, it is freeing!

(Linda Culbreth) #39

Agree with you, jamestorie. Counting calories - hard. Eating to fullness - easy by counting carbs, moderate protein to what your body actually needs, and adding an extra serving of butter or ghee or bacon grease!

(mich) #40

Yes, counting calories really is a mind f*** isn’t it? I guess it’s been indoctrinated into me that calories are key to living.
I don’t have a heap of weight to lose (maybe 5kg?) so I’m not doing this as a diet-I’m doing this to feel better and more functional.
Thanks again so much for your advice and support.