A celeb who won't be going vegan

(Joey) #1

Anybody catch this snippet? NFL commentator Al Michaels has never knowingly eaten a vegetable in his life…

Looks healthy enough from here.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Carrots have to be well-cooked to be at all tasty. And even then, you have to load them up with butter and brown sugar.

There’s a reason kids instinctively dislike vegetables. I read about one carnivore mother who, instead of zweiback or crackers, gives her children pieces of meat to gnaw on throughout the day. Seems to work!

(Alec) #3

Now that bloke has got it right… “now, put a big steak in front of me… yum… let’s go!”

(Bob) #4

I went carnivore this year. I hope I can look that good at 78 :smiley:

(Alec) #5

He looks in rude health, doesn’t he? I am now 59, and I started carnivore at 57. I wonder how many years of my life the bloody plants are going to cut… we shall see. At least I am eating correctly now. But I had more than my fair share of ultra processed foods, seed oils, alcohol, and plants in those first 57 years.

It is amazing to me how many lies we are told… I don’t trust anyone in authority any more. I also don’t trust any official guidance or advice (on anything). I don’t trust any “science” that we are presented with or results from studies, especially in the food and drug arena. My current view is: if in doubt, do the exact opposite of what you are told to do. It is more likely to be right.

(Bob) #6

It was health issues, conditions, and diseases that moved me to improve my health through keto, and then I discovered carnivore. I’m 47, and hope it’s not too late to undo the damage that has been done. Like you say, we shall see.

Nope, many people enjoy it raw and it’s quite nice al dente too. I used it in raw vegan recipes, it’s sweet and lovely.
Of course, tastes differ but many, many people find a lot of vegs very delicious raw, carrot included. No wonder I used it on keto :slight_smile: So flavorful and tasty, a little goes a long way!

I don’t know about the time I was a baby but I loved vegs as a kid and easily skipped meat (but I had 6 vegetarian lunches per week. lunch was the big, cooked meal).

I understand many people don’t enjoy vegetables for some reason but very many do.

(Bob M) #8

I have no problem doing this for nutritional knowledge.

But, at some point this fails. When I had shoulder surgery, I found a doctor who had done a ton of them. Same with cataracts: the doctor there had done thousands of surgeries.

I know this too because in my line of work, there is no way someone off the street could do a better job than I do. It’s not possible.

And I think this leads to a ton of things like the US’s “stolen election”, where without any evidence whatsoever, some astounding amount of people believe this is true. It’s not. Every time they went into court – 40 times? 50 times – they had no evidence. They lost. But it’s based on the idea that “officials” are telling us the incorrect things and leading us astray. Those leaders aren’t. They are correct.

At some point, you really do have to believe in “authorities”.

(Joey) #9

This is a nuanced topic and all points are valid.

If by “authorities” we refer those who have physical or financial power and control over us, then I’m inclined to remain skeptical of anyone in that role as a default position. This stems from the power corrupts principle.

But if by “authorities” we mean those who provide proven knowledge and useful expertise, well that’s another matter. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt unless they demonstrate flawed (or perhaps biased) thinking.

Regardless, the truth is always out there somewhere - and the scientific method remains our best path to deduce it. That requires dogged pursuit of the unvarnished truth - not easy for humans to embrace.

And so I’ll repeat what I often say… My problem with science? The scientists.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Yep. Blind trust and blind mistrust are both errors.

What impressed me about the videos with Robert Lustig and Stephen Phinney that got me started on this path was how well-documented their talks were with data from well-conducted studies. That made it far easier to believe that the governmental advice was misguided. Also, Nina Teicholz’s and Gary Taubes’s books have clearly described and documented how our understanding of human nutrition has gone off the rails.

It’s worth bearing in mind, however, that progress in medicine can be very slow. Doctors resisted Semmelweis’s simple advice to wash their hands, and hounded him about it till his death. Yet it’s now standard practice. And it took well over ten years for Barry Marshall’s and Robin Warren’s discovery that stomach ulcers were caused by a bacterium to even start to be accepted by the rest of the profession. Now it is standard wisdom (the Nobel Prize helped, of course).

(Alec) #11

OK, let me clarify… I am primarily very sceptical towards any “authority”, and judge whatever they say very carefully. My default position is to not trust them until they prove they are trustworthy. Even then, I would be still be judging everything they do or say with very high BS detectors up. I am actively looking for conflicts of interest and where they get their income from. Anything even vaguely hidden sends massive red flags up.

This is all especially important when the “authority” is a government agency of any type. They have additional conflicts of interest that are often hidden by design.

I am similar, I don’t really trust authority and I use my knowledge and common sense and whatever is relevant. I said no to doctors and I am pretty much aware they have medical knowledge superior to mine. But in those cases I was very sure about my opinion being the right one and the results reassured me.
Of course, sometimes we can’t do that but quite often we can.