A 72 HR Fast & some history

extendedfast

A couple weeks ago, I would have sworn up and down that I could do 36 hours max, and yet here I am, approaching 72 hours.

I’ve only recently been toying with fasting for longer periods to speed up weight loss, but only made it to 40 hours and it was HARD. I once fasted for a week when I was a carbaholic in my early 20’s and I honestly don’t know how the hell I did it.

It began as an open ended fast to get rid of some bloating, and I just kept on going. I’ve felt hungry and fuzzy headed, as well as tired, but overall OK. I haven’t got much work done, which sucks, because I have a ton of it to do. I have been drinking some ketoade which has helped and nibbling on salt crystals, but it’s effects on mental clarity & energy have been very brief-30 minutes at best. I have a ton of homework to do tonight and I feel like I’m just done. I’m planning on breaking my fast with a light dinner of poached salmon and butter, although I am fantasizing about a mountain of tacos. A fantasy it will remain, for now.

I’ve done IF for many years, but recently switched to OMAD (23/1) in the mornings, which I love. I do much better than when I save my meal for dinner, which I don’t really have time for, and I’ve never had issue with eating enough calories. For dinner, I just have a cup of herbal tea with some Jameson in it and I’m good.! :wink:

I’ve been losing about 1lb a day with a good 30 minute workout and OMAD, but I went out to a show this weekend and indulged a bit.

A bit of history:

I am F, 5’6", 40 yrs, 191.4#. My weight gain is pretty recent, I had been maintaining in the low to mid 140’s for many years except for a few blips here and there.

I had some crazy life stuff happen in 2016, and was 216# as of January 1, 2017. I got down to 184# the summer of 2017, but gained almost all of it back during the fall semester. I went off keto and was eating pizza and drinking beer just to deal with the stress. Lame. So I started again in January 2018 at 211.6#
I’m currently at 191.4# and my goal is to hit the 140’s again so I can wear all my beautiful summer clothes.

(Doug) #2

Wow, Isaboblue, that’s very ambitious. The 1 lb. per day weight loss is unsustainable - after a while we don’t lose as much water per day. However, we do get better at fasting (and I think we learn about ourselves).

70 days until summer. My opinion - it would take a herculean effort to lose 40+ lbs. in that time; not sure it would be worth it. Honestly, even to do it by the end of the year would be pretty sweet. To an extent, I think we have to take progress as it comes, and I hope you don’t get discouraged by a certain weight at a certain time.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Doug. :slight_smile:

I was losing 1 lb/day even before my little weekend indulgence. I do know it won’t last forever, it’s just what is happening right now with me doing what feels good-OMAD and a 30 min workout.

I’m not expecting to lose 40 + lbs by the beginning of summer, my goal is about 10 lbs per month, which I did in January and March, February there was no weight loss, both myself and my son came down with a wicked flu! So that would put me at my goal weight by the end of summer/early fall. I won’t be able to fit into all my summer stuff, but there are some items I will be able to wear!

Thanks for the info. I have seen some of his videos, etc. and have been drinking my own keto-aide, which is pretty similar to the snake juice recipe.

6 c. water
1/2 tsp No Salt
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Concentrace (for magnesium)

If I still feel crappy after drinking this, I will double the No Salt & salt and that usually does the trick.

(Jennifer ) #8

How do you feel about the way he craps on eating the ketogenic diet? I’ve watched a few of his videos and they seem intentionally inflammatory and black & white.

Although the main message of “don’t be scared of fasting” is definitely something I’m on board with.

He also suggests only eating very small meals between fasting (unless I missed something, please correct me). This is definitely contradicts the main message coming from the IDM Program folks, who consistently remind us to feast between fasts.

What is your viewpoint?