A 2nd slice.and you're toast

(David) #1

Sun Newspaper
18 February 2017

Two slices of buttered toast a day can double the risk of diabetes, scientists warned yesterday.

The 12g of butter - less than half an ounce - is enough to make the risk soar, a huge new study found.

Unhealthy saturated fat was blamed by researchers who monitored 3,349 people.

Those who volunteered were all diagnosed as being at high risk of heart disease or a stroke but none had diabetes at the start of the study.

Within 4.5 years 266 of them had succumbed to the type 2 form of the disease.

But cases were far rarer among people on a Mediterranean-style diet rich in fruit and veg, whole grain cereals and olive oil.

Twice as many got it among those who ate food high in animal fat, including butter.

The research in Spain, which involved experts from Hardvard University in the US, backed up previous studies showing it is also far healthier to spurn read meat.

Dr Marta Guasch-Ferre, one of the leaders of the study, said: “These findings emphasise the healthy benefits of a Mediterranean diet for preventing chronic diseases.”

She listed red and processed meat among the biggest danger foods.

Her advice to people was to consume fats from “vegetable sources such as olive oil and nuts”.

A traditional Mediterranean diet includes oily fish and poultry.

Pasta, fresh bread and legumes also feature highly.

Tomatoes and vegetables such as peppers, aubergines, olives, onions and lettuce benefit blood glucose levels.

Experts at Diabetes UK said previous large-scale studies had already shown that such diets can help protect against the type 2 form of the disease, which is the most common.

More than 400 people are diagnosed with it in the UK every day.

shaun.wooller@the-sun.co.uk

(David) #2

Couldn’t possibly be the bread, could it?

Where is the science to back up the evidence blaming saturated fat?

It would be interesting to know what their Kraft insulin assay test profile would have been before the study.

I wonder what other diets can help protect?

I just emailed the author asking for notes and other information so I can do some further reading. Show me the science, bitch !!!

(David) #3

FUCK me ! I got a reply already …

Hi David,

Thank you for your email. The university press release and full journal article can be found via the following links:

http://diaridigital.urv.cat/en/consuming-saturated-animal-fats-increases-the-risk-of-type-2-diabetes/

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2017/02/15/ajcn.116.142034

Regards,

Shaun Wooller
Health & Science
The Sun

(bulkbiker) #4

Sounds like a rehash of the crap that was in the Telegraph yesterday

(David) #5

I didn’t see that. I don’t get a newspaper. I went to my parent’s on the way home from town and there were a few health related articles in the paper that I thought I would share.

(David) #7

Prove it !

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

By the second sentence, I was laughing out loud. Then, I stopped reading.

Well, well, well…reading the fine print on this study, this is what I discovered:

↵1 Supported by grants from the Carlos III Health Institute [grant RTIC G03/140 (to RE); grant RTIC RD 06/0045 (to MAM-G)], National Center of Cardiovascular Research (grant CNIC 06/2007), European Regional Development Fund (grants PI04–2239, PI 05/2584, CP06/00100, PI07/0240, PI07/1138, PI07/0954, PI 07/0473, PI10/01407, PI10/02658, PI11/01647, P11/02505, and PI13/00462), Ministry of Science and Innovation (grants AGL-2009–13906-C02 and AGL2010–22319-C03), Mapre Foundation, Regional Government of Andalusia Ministry of Health (grant PI0105/2007), Autonomous Government of Catalonia Department of Health (grants ACOMP06109, GVA-COMP2010–181, GVACOMP2011–151, CS2010-AP-111, and CS2011-AP-042), and Regional Government of Navarra (grant P27/2011). Patrimonio Comunal Olivarero, Hojiblanca SA, California Walnut Commission, Borges SA, and Morella Nuts SA donated the olive oil, walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts, respectively, used in the study.

I’m sure there was no conflict of interest…cough cough

This is a BS study. It draws out association of butter with T2D, but does not describe other parts of the diet, like bread consumption.

So, if half of the people use butter (which they would spread on wheat bread), while the other half of people (treatment group) are told to eat walnuts, hazelnuts, and almonds instead, this skews the macronutrient ratio, and reduces their grain consumption.

(John) #11

Bad science makes me mad. I remember years ago listening to an analysis of what people purchased together and the company found that people that could afford their brand paid like 30% more in total for their purchases. To them this logically meant every time our item is in the basket they spend $x more money, so we need more people buying our stuff!
They didn’t like it when I suggested making a pitch to the store that they should have someone at the door tossing this into peoples basket for free, that way they will spend 30% more while they were there, small price to pay.
Sometimes peoples thinky parts don’t work right.

Also 12 grams of butter is less than half an ounce, less than a tablespoon per day. That much is so devastating it causes diabetes by itself? Shit I have that in my coffee! I just basted a 16 oz ribeye in oil and half a stick of butter, according to this I am already dead. Shit.

(John) #12

Did you even read the next part?

↵2 None of the funding sources played a role in the design, collection, analysis, or interpretation of the data or in the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.

Yeah. Ok. Sure. But, they take their money.

That’s a boiler plate statement. Seen it before many times.

Sorry…not buying it.

(John) #14

It was meant as sarcastic, sorry it wasn’t clear.

Oh ok…haha…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is classic right, blame the butter. How about doing the same study, minus the fucking bread?!

My favorite type of study: the one where you remember everything you ate all year. LMAO!

“Detailed dietary information was assessed at baseline and yearly during the follow-up using a food frequency questionnaire.”

So stupid that it’s already a meme.