10 weeks and no weight loss!

newbies

(Miranda ) #62

What about the cinnamon oil in toothpicks? I’m big into those…

(Miranda ) #63

I’ve only been having about a half scoop a day because the taste is so strong which is good because it’s expensive…but bad if I need the full dose of vitamins…

(Sarah Bruhn) #64

About testing for insulin spikes with a glucose meter… (it may be obvious but i’d like to confirm) Your Blood Glucose would go down if you are having an insulin spike 30 min after a meal? or are would your blood glucose go up and so we can saftly assume insulin will be going up in conjunction?

(Maxwell) #65

If insulin is spiking, that would be revealed by your Blood Glucose reading going UP.

However, if you get a higher Blood Glucose Reading AFTER you’ve eaten a steak – oddly – you are NOT getting a insulin spike. But the steak will cause a glucose response. This exception still has me puzzled. I have listened to Podcast on the exception, and it still puzzles me.

(Maxwell) #66

Cinnamon makes you more insulin ‘sensitive’ THUS would not cause a spike in insulin, but there is a possibility that a cinnamon toothpick might have a artificial sweetener on it. And, THAT would cause an insulin response.

(TJ Borden) #67

To be fair, there’s basically just one person that has an opinion that is conflicting. Everyone else is pretty much on the same page

(Maxwell) #68

The Glucose Monitor is incredibly helpful to let you know if you are responding to something that is causing you to stall.

That Glucose Monitor has helped me correct mistakes I was making.

(Ron) #69

Can you share this podcast? I would like to listen to it too. Thank You.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #70

And to be honest - this whole thread makes a newbie like me want to totally give up. Don’t get me wrong, carbs are bad. But i’m not yet in ketosis because I use regular toothpaste? I haven’t had fruit, starch, or sugar in 10 weeks. I don’t know what else to do. Maybe fasting? Suggest that to my GI tract and you will get a resounding NO. Will probably break down and buy a blood monitor.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #71

Love the forums but this is too extreme for me.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #72

As I mentioned to the poster, I know that the protocol for epilepsy restricts traditional toothpaste. But I am doing it to lower my triglycerides - I don’t have an immediate disease threat - I am doing it for overall health and to make sure I never become pre-diabetic.

(Chris W) #73

Insulin will go up after nearly any ingestion of any food. The amount of the increase will entirely depend upon what it is. There are elevations and then there are spikes, I would also note that insulin is pulsing at intervals so its really always spiking its just a matter of how much. After that item is digested, and depending upon what it is, you may see another response.
While in ketosis(and this is important to the conversation) your glucagon levels are higher and that directly effects how and were things go after being digested.

Fat has the least amount of response on its own, then protein, then simple carbs, the starches and so on.
Fat if taken in measure will not give you a glucose response of any note, excessive fat can via GNG lead to increased blood glucose but the insulin response will be minimal as your body will most likely use that energy. The type of fat will also play into this, the mct and sct being quickly absorbed were as the LCT’s much longer.

Protein will provide a medium initial response but not a very long one. Protein takes a long time to digest, the glucose response can depend upon a number of things but mainly the amount consumed and the need for it in other functions. The insulin response to this are normally greater than that of fat but not typically large enough to cause fat storage. It may cause glucagon to drop and that is what cancels ketosis, and more importantly the raise in insulin stops cells mitochondria to stop taking in fat directly when fat adapted.
Carbs of course will spike insulin on the way in, and they will if they are effectively raising blood glucose cause an elevation in insulin depending upon the type and how much were ingested. Since the ingestion of carbs is more or less unregulated the insulin level will keep going up if blood glucose keeps going up. The amount is dependent upon the person.
There are multiple types of insulin responses, trying to figure how when and why is really hard and I think that part of this conversation has gone into left field.

(Sarah Bruhn) #74

I know it is frustraiting but the truth is ketosis is diffrent for everyone, for some exercise helps, for others they need to restrict certain foods, I am surprised your not in ketosis after dropping to below 20g of carbohydrates. Please take every individuals experience as just that, individual experience.
However good news is you ARE in Ketosis so there is no need to worry. A low level of ketones on pee strips is a good result. Keep doing what you are doing.

(TJ Borden) #75

I very much doubt using regular toothpaste is keeping you out of ketosis. I made the change because I noticed there was enough sweetener in regular to trigger morning hunger, and with non-sweetened, I’m not hungry until late afternoon so IF is super easy.

You are correct with that statement. Some people can achieve and many can maintain with higher, but the reason we say 20 grams is because that is low enough for nearly everyone.

Sorry if you already covered it, but what makes you think you’re not in ketosis?

(Sarah Bruhn) #76

you don’t have to follow every peice of advice this is an individual journey. And as you have said you are getting ketone reading on pee strips (they arn’t too acurate so a low result is fine, it means you are burning fat… well done, you made it)

(Chris W) #77

I have no doubt in my mind you are in ketosis.
KCKO

(Ron) #78

As i read it, this is a statement of sarcasm in the form of a question about toothpaste statements in this thread. :roll_eyes:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #79

I’ve lost 12 pounds and feel good. Just never had proof about ketosis. I know the pee strips are unreliable - but heck - only 6 pinks in 10 weeks!!1

(Empress of the Unexpected) #80

Sorry - I will withdraw from forum, but you are correct!

(TJ Borden) #81

It’s not just that the strips aren’t real accurate, it’s also that they are measuring excess ketones. It doesn’t take very long before your system is using them efficiently and only making what it needs, so the strips can measure really low. That doesn’t mean you’re doing anything wrong. For weight loss, ketosis is a path to fat adaptation, in my opinion, chasing ketones is as pointless as counting calories. KCKO