10 weeks and no weight loss!

newbies

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

I’m getting mine from leafy vegetables, above ground vegetables, ocassional nuts and dairy.

(Maxwell) #23

The Stevia, alone, would keep me out of Ketosis.

(Maxwell) #24

If you get a spike of Insulin – Ketosis will stop. Why don’t you try measuring your Blood Glucose when you wake up. Then about 15 -30 minutes AFTER your meals.

You will find out immediately which item in your diet is causing YOUR insulin spike. Personally, I get a insulin spike a many things other people seem to tolerate well.

Even the sweeteners in my Toothpaste and Mouthwash caused me to get an insulin spike. I had to make Homemade Toothpaste and Homemade Mouthwash to get my insulin to dropped down to the low 80 and 70’s. Before I eliminated the Commercial Toothpaste & Mouthwash, my Blood Glucose stayed in the 90’s.

There were other things that did that to me. Stevia for sure. All sweeteners do to me. For me, Cream caused my insulin to spike, so did cheese, Not everyone is like me, everyone is individual.

Ketosis and Blood Glucose work in tandem. If you Blood Glucose is low – you will be Ketosis.

(Maxwell) #25

An artificial sweetener will knock you out of Ketosis even if your Carbs are low. That’s because artificial sweeteners, especially Stevia, will cause an insulin spike. Sweeteners are in everything, even Toothpaste & Mouthwash.

It’s common for a label to say there are no artificial sweeteners in it, but if you look closely you will find they put Stevia in it because they regard that as ‘natural’. Items like Toothpaste won’t even list the sweeteners, I had to look online to find that my Toothpaste had 3 different sweeteners.

Little things like that can make you stall even if your Carbs are technically low.

(icky) #26

OMG - never thought of this!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

Well, I don’t use any sweeteners or processed foods like commercial salad dressings, but if I have to start worrying about my toothpaste kicking me out of Ketosis, then I guess this WOE won’t work for me. I do fully understand that if this is used for, say, epilepsy, then toothpaste counts.

(icky) #28

I’ve been reading lots of discussions on the forum where SOME people say that SOME sweeteners kick them out of ketosis.

Some people tolerate all sweeteners, or most.

If you are doing fine, then don’t worry!! :smile:

(Maxwell) #29

It really depends on your body. For my part, the sweeteners in my Toothpaste & Mouthwash so altered my Blood Glucose on a Fasting day that I had to abandon the Fast to figure out what was going on.

I started the Fast again the next day using only my Homemade Toothpaste & Mouthwash and my Blood Glucose dropped into the 70’s whereas with the Commercial Toothpaste & Mouthwash, it was staying at 100.

I got tipped off to the possibility of Toothpaste when I read that a man who was Fasting to battle Cancer, would only use Salt to brush his teeth be/c he did want to risk interrupting Autophagy.

I wasn’t trying to achieve Autophagy per se, I just wanted to burn FAT, and I knew I coudn’t if my Blood was showing up at 100. I wanted my Blood Glucose to drop back to the 70’s which is where it should be on a fasting day.

It surprised the heck out me when I saw my BG spike when I had not eaten anything. It wasn’t easy to track it back to the mouthwash.

My level of insulin resistance might by much more severe than yours. Sweeteners might not affect you, but they sure do me. I think it is a question of how ‘insulin resistant’ a person is.

(Maxwell) #30

Exactly. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. But those sweeteners really make my insulin spike. Everyone has their own level of ‘insulin resistance’ – I think I am severely ‘insulin resistant’ – there are plenty of people who can use Stevia and lose weight.

(Edith) #31

I agree with @sugar-addict. You can be in ketosis but not fat adapted. Until then you will have low energy. Your body takes time learning how to use the new fuel sources.

Also, like @sugar-addict asked: What makes you think you are not in ketosis? Are you measuring your ketones with the urine test strips or measuring your blood ketones?

(TJ Borden) #32

I’m with you on the toothpaste. I switched to a brand with zero sweeteners about a year ago, but why do you think an insulin spike would kick you out of ketosis?

Ketosis is archived by the lack of available carbs for the body to use for fuel. While it’s true that artificial sweeteners do cause an insulin release, that on its own won’t knock you out of ketosis.

Not necessarily true. A high glucose would likely mean a consumption of carbs that would knock you out, but there are plenty of people with healthy metabolisms that have low glucose levels but are not in ketosis.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #33

Which brand?

(TJ Borden) #34

This is what I use. I had found it at one of my local grocery stores but they stopped carrying it so I just buy it on amazon now.

Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste, Creme de Mint 6 oz ( Packs of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5J8H2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1SzlBb91EYWDM

(Empress of the Unexpected) #35

okay - but I use sensodyne cause my teeth react to cold. Is there an equivalent?

(TJ Borden) #36

No idea. Have you noticed you still have the issue with the cold? I used to but it didn’t dawn on me until just now that I don’t anymore… keto maybe???

(Maxwell) #37

Sensodyne is what I was using and when I looked it up on the internet it had 2 sweeteners. It has sorbitol and sodium saccharin.

(Alec) #38

Ain’t that the truth!! The last mile is always the hardest.

(TJ Borden) #39

At least that’s what I’ve heard. I still have quite a while until I’ll be able to give personal account

(Maxwell) #40

In listening to the Obesity Podcast, there are several stories where the person had gotten to a certain point and could not lose anymore, and they were in a bad situation and really had to lose that weight for the disease they were fighting and when Megan Ramos questioned them very carefully, invariably they were using Stevia or Heavy Cream.

For some people, the tiniest bit insulin can throw you out or substantially reduce the ketones you are producing to negligible level.

If a person isn’t profoundly insulin resistant, Heavy Cream or an artificial sweetener is not going to affect them. It depends on how well your body is dealing it.

(TJ Borden) #41

There’s a difference between producing less ketones and being knocked out of ketosis. Which episode are you referring to?